Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf GT TDI need your opinions

Options
  • 30-05-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hi People

I'm thinking of getting a golf gt tdi down from the north (00 model)
    Is there anything I should look out for when buying this car (common faults etc.) ?
    Any gt tdi owners out there, what do you think of this car ?
    I may change my mind but I have a petrol civic and now want a diesel with decent power but not too severe on the old insurance
    This car seemed to fit the bill for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

whacker4fun has one as does Celtic_Warrior6

My money would be on a nice Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI (160bhp) - here's one for sale up North, granted its out of budget for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Do seat make a Leon GT Diesel or similar?
    I would prefer a leon over an ibiza as it is bigger

Evil_Clown wrote:
    Do seat make a Leon GT Diesel or similar?
    I would prefer a leon over an ibiza as it is bigger
    Yeh here's a Leon that might interest you. Same 150bhp as the Golf

Some nice ones up the North too
    SEAT LEON 1.9 TDi 150 Cupra 5dr - 133k miles, €12,084
    SEAT Leon 1.9 TDi (150) - €13,190
    Don't forget to factor in VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Supposed to be faster than a Veyron, or so the owners say.

Check for the red 'I' in TDI - supposed to add in the region of 500bhp according to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

fletch wrote:
    Some nice ones up the North too
    SEAT LEON 1.9 TDi 150 Cupra 5dr - 133k miles, €12,084
    SEAT Leon 1.9 TDi (150) - €13,190
    Don't forget to factor in VRT.

133k :eek: Did Nasa own this car??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Watch out for leaking rear wiper washer,dodgy drivers door lock (I had to get mie replaced after 1 year),airbag light continuously coming on and oh ya rear bulbs always blowing.I had these problems with my 00 Golf TDI and apparently were fairly common on most of the Mark iv models.

After all that it's a beast of a machine.There is some torgue outta that engine.Best of luck with it and as said on most posts, buy from a reputable dealer and get a HPI check done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

of the VAG options I'd go for the Leon TDI FR much better value than a Golf, same car, less money

I personally don't like the GT TDI, it needs about 26 gears to make use of the narrow torque band, yes it feels and is fast when on boost, but waiting for it to come on boost and then the total dissapearance of power when the turbo goes past its rev range annoys me

you can pick up an A4 2.5 TDI Quattro in the UK for peanuts much better car
    133k :eek: Did Nasa own this car??

133k is a walk in the park for a Diesel engine, I have a toyota Carina E at home with 365K on the clock and still going strong, one of the Toyota Dynas we have here at work has an engine with well over 900,000 miles on it no problems, if you look after them properly they will eat miles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

always wondered: why are diesel engines considered better at taking more miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

TDI Leons (130/150) are all but impossible to find down South or up North and when you do find one its generally being sold for the same or more than an equivalent Golf. The Golf will have a better resale value so why get the Leon ?

I have been on the lookout for TDI Leons (130bhp mainly) and have now turned to looking at golfs just because of the lack of Leons and the amount of Golf that are about.
    I've driven a 130bhp golf and I didnt notice any lag when I put the foot down.

p.s. the above is all based on 2002-2004 used cars.

voxpop wrote:
    I've driven a 130bhp golf and I didnt notice any lag when I put the foot down.
    PD130 engine is noted for having less lag than the PD150 due to a smaller turbo and hence a quicker spooling up time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

fletch wrote:
    PD130 engine is noted for having less lag than the PD150 due to a smaller turbo and hence a quicker spooling up time.

yep the 130 is a far better drive than the 150, much smoother power delivery throughout the rev range, I didn't like the 150 at all.
    In diesels I prefer higher capacity with a smaller turbo, power and driveability all in one, that may just be me though! ;) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

quarryman wrote:
    always wondered: why are diesel engines considered better at taking more miles?

I've heard it's because of a few things:

They run at a lower operating temperature

Diesel fuel is itself a lubricant, which helps to prolong the life of the engine

They run at high compression which means they need more heavy duty parts which tend to last longer.

I'm sure a diesel expert can fill you in better than I though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Did they do a GT TDI model in 2000? It's certainly not the PD130 or PD150 ye're all talking about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I dont think the PD engine was available until 2002 onwards - im open to correction on this though

Advertisement