Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car finance

Options
  • 30-05-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi I have job offer for Dublin and I am looking at relocating from Canada. I have car here which I would like to sell. My questions is once I get to Dublin how likely will I be able to buy a new car and get it financed? Are there different options that would give me different probability? What if I pay down payment of 10-30 % of a car? I do not need it right away but I would like to be able to get one with in 3-4 months…
    Thanks…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You may find it tough without having a credit record - so yes, do your banking for a couple of months to build up an initial pattern of responsibility. The good news is that car finance is easier to get as it is secured on the car, rather than it being unsecured personal lending. However, it's still not guaranteed to be available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Thanks Buffy, I am trying to collect this information, since here in Canada I can take out a credit, but I would prefer to deal with Ireland.
    Are there different options then leasing or financing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

If you are paying a large amount up front they are more likely to give it to you. They will want to see your bank statements, so maybe it's easiest to set up your bank account in the place you want to borrow from. They'll be able to see that there is money coming in every month. If you have a permanent job as opposed to contract, that will help too. I wouldn't say you'll have any problem.
    Also, go directly to the bank for your loan. Don't go through the dealership.

Thanks, can someone suggest me some banks? I would be new to Ireland even my new company would help me out with all of this, but it would be nice to have some information upfront.
    As for financial portions, I would have around 10 000 as down payment on 30 000+ used or new car. It would be probably after 3-4 months I start working.

The main "big" banks are:

www.aib.ie
    www.boi.ie
    www.ulsterbank.com
    www.nib.ie
    www.permanenttsb.ie
    www.halifax.ie

Have a look around their sites and see the different offerings :)

• Advertisement

The main "big" banks are:

www.aib.ie
    www.boi.ie
    www.ulsterbank.com
    www.nib.ie
    www.permanenttsb.ie
    www.halifax.ie

Have a look around their sites and see the different offerings :)

Thanks Buffy I will :)

Advertisement