Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new poetry approach

Options
  • 30-05-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

You may think I am crazy....but here goes:
    I have just printed off responses Of five poets from the last few years from edco exam papers and plan to just...I hate saying this but to "learn off" the essays and fit each general response to suit the question in hand.

Am I stone mad in thinking of adopting this approach:D?
    Bear in mind I wont be too bothered if I dont score excellent marks in poetry as its only worth 50 marks out of the whole course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

i think you should be fine. i did five A1 essays and im just learning them off as i find it a lot easier to remember them than to learn points and then try to make an essay on the day. as for taking them from the papers, there's a slight chance that someone might have taken bits of them too, but highly unlikely that someone will have the exact same essays as you. the quality of the answers is fairly good and at least you'll have a good structured answer that personally relates to the question. thats one thing those answers are good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Naikon wrote:
    I have just printed off responses Of five poets from the last few years from edco exam papers and plan to just...I hate saying this but to "learn off" the essays and fit each general response to suit the question in hand.

Bear in mind I wont be too bothered if I dont score excellent marks in poetry as its only worth 50 marks out of the whole course.
    Thats pretty much the approach i'm going to take too.I just don't care enough about English, to justify putting alot of work into it (ie coming up with my own answers).Now of course I may alter the answers slightly, but only by a few lines or at most a paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Meh, I dont really have a "love" of poetry either so using original material is a bit of a no no for me.
    Not that I am learning off stuff for paper 1 however as I usually get high B grades in that paper but fall down bigtime on paper two.
    I will make sure I dont learn it off word for word though and mabye change or omit certain parts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Naikon wrote:

This is exactly whats wrong with the leaving cert nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mongo19

blondie07 wrote:
    i think you should be fine. i did five A1 essays and im just learning them off as i find it a lot easier to remember them than to learn points and then try to make an essay on the day. as for taking them from the papers, there's a slight chance that someone might have taken bits of them too, but highly unlikely that someone will have the exact same essays as you. the quality of the answers is fairly good and at least you'll have a good structured answer that personally relates to the question. thats one thing those answers are good for.

blondie is there any chance that you may enlighten me and post these "five A1 essays" or provide them via email or some alternative method! PRETTY PLEASE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah i know ive left it late, but im only starting to do revise poetry now.....the poets im going to go over are plath, montague, yeats and probably bishop.

Im thinking i should just write out personal responses for each of them....is that the best way to go? sure if one of the questions is like "give a talk to your class about plath" or some **** like that all i have to do is tweak my answer....

any ideas?

cson wrote:
    This is exactly whats wrong with the leaving cert nowadays.

I totally agree with you.
    I am agaisnt learning stuff off for the most part, but If it gives me an upper hand in this case I might as well exploit this crude system.
    Its a win win situation, and unfortunately I think this is the case in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Naikon wrote:
    I totally agree with you.
    I am agaisnt learning stuff off for the most part, but If it gives me an upper hand in this case I might as well exploit this crude system.
    Its a win win situation, and unfortunately I think this is the case in English.

Oh yeah I know. Don't hate the player, hate the game. The rote learning $hite needs to be done away with imo.

Yeah i know ive left it late, but im only starting to do revise poetry now.....the poets im going to go over are plath, montague, yeats and probably bishop.

Im thinking i should just write out personal responses for each of them....is that the best way to go? sure if one of the questions is like "give a talk to your class about plath" or some **** like that all i have to do is tweak my answer....

any ideas?

Write out or obtain general answers, tweak them to perfection and fit them to suit the question which despite looking hard is always general, for instance look at the talk ,how should that answer differ? simply rewrite the general essay and tweak it to the question getting the "feel" or audience right whereby you introduce a crowd etc etc or Bull**** your way saying how much an impact the poetry made on you to the point of crying or something similar.
    Examiners love crap like "I will continue to read poetry irrespective of the Leaving cert exam" and "Plaths poetry made a profound impact on me" etc.
    I doubt they can ask really narrow aspects of poetry nowadays, so just use this to your advantage.
    Work the system people:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm surprised English would be considered as a learning off subject. Whenever I do an English exam I just write from the top of my head :D I normally only use quotes I remember from reading the texts, short but effective ones. Then again I don't get A1s... maybe it's time to change my ways. Link to those responses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Nehpets wrote:
    I'm surprised English would be considered as a learning off subject. Whenever I do an English exam I just write from the top of my head :D

Thats all well and good for Paper 1. But Paper 2? Crammy crammy crammy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Naikon wrote:
    Not that I am learning off stuff for paper 1 however as I usually get high B grades in that paper but fall down bigtime on paper two.
    I will make sure I dont learn it off word for word though and mabye change or omit certain parts:D
    Huh.I'm exactly the same way.I got 49% in my mock a few months back.I got 72% in paper 1 (with nothing learnt of or anything) and then only like a 3rd of the marks in paper 2......now paper 2 was marked TERRIBLY, but still.

Advertisement