Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft "Surface" - Best Coffee table ever?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

http://digg.com/microsoft/Microsoft_Multi_Touch_technology_Surfaces

Microsoft have unveiled a new Table Top computer called "Surface". Go check out the videos. They are not the first ones to come up with this idea of course (Microsoft in copying other people ingenuity shocker!). More news in the article.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Microsoft in copying other people ingenuity shocker!
    Because nobody has ever copied anyone else. Ever. In the entirity of history. Not one single occasion of it until Microsoft arrived and literally invented the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

simply... amazing i almost dont believe it... i cant believe something this revolutionary came out so soon http://www.microsoft.com/surface/ the videos on that site blow my mind, especially th ability to be able to put phones and mp3 players onto the table and just drag stuff into it... utterly mindblowing

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow, just wow. Very very cool technology.
    I want one. Probably need to remortgage, but I want one.

10000 apparantly... only in hotels and stuff in the near future but then again things come down in price very quickly nowadays... its like minority report except not holographic yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Savage. Definitly the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Apparently it can't do much more than the demos show at the minute, and some stuff like paper scanning won't be possible with the first version yet.

It also tracks peripherials placed on it by having barcodes stuck to the bottom of them, rather than some form of wireless communication, which I suppose makes sense but strikes me as ugly.

Its clever, but its not there yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Apparently it can't do much more than the demos show at the minute, and some stuff like paper scanning won't be possible with the first version yet.

It also tracks peripherials placed on it by having barcodes stuck to the bottom of them, rather than some form of wireless communication, which I suppose makes sense but strikes me as ugly.

Wasn't there a wireless usb standard approved recently? They could easily integrate this into it. Looks cool though. Wonder what it'll be like when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Wasn't there a wireless usb standard approved recently? They could easily integrate this into it. Looks cool though. Wonder what it'll be like when it comes out.

It may have a proximity based system but it would have to be on the surface similar to how those electric toothbrushes charge, electromagnetic signals, easily done but if theres another way well its anyones guess what there working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

It would be great to have one. Until you knock over a cup of coffee. Or your three year old draws all over it.

Fremen wrote:
    It would be great to have one. Until you knock over a cup of coffee. Or your three year old draws all over it.
    waterproof and scratch proof... its just a piece of glass basically.... if you can manage to get coffee inside the actual system well thats your fault

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Is Jeff Han the guy that has developed this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because nobody has ever copied anyone else. Ever. In the entirity of history. Not one single occasion of it until Microsoft arrived and literally invented the word.
    nah , they copied the word too..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

nah , they copied the word too..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

it would be perfect hooked up to a htpc system, all your movies and music accessed through it, will probably have to wait till the price drops a wee bit

dubdvd wrote:
    thats got eveything that the surface has done right... done wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Whats with all the superlatives being thrown at this, it's a bleedin touchscreen for gods sake yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

MooseJam wrote:
    Whats with all the superlatives being thrown at this, it's a bleedin touchscreen for gods sake yawn

It's not even that clever - it's five cameras stuck under glass.

its the things like device recognition and the drag drop rotate resize interface that has me wowed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The camera in all of those demos is a wifi camera and so it sent those pics wirelessly. While the other devices did have barcodes on the bottom of them they did say that gadgets that have wifi(like the zune which was demoed wirelessly syncing) will integrate wirelessly with the table in future.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote:
    The camera in all of those demos is a wifi camera and so it sent those pics wirelessly. While the other devices did have barcodes on the bottom of them they did say that gadgets that have wifi(like the zune which was demoed wirelessly syncing) will integrate wirelessly with the table in future.

That's pretty cool. Could they not implement bluetooth into it as well though?

Advertisement