Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exams results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

got my economics too. Got 68.2 which Im happy about but is it worth an appeal does anyone reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

absolutely worth an appeal, if only for your own sanity. it's better to appeal it and know that in no way did you deserve to be moved up rather than not appeal it and always wonder what would've happened if you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Pythia wrote:
    Does this include people who do economics who aren't in arts, ie business people?
    I must check the board on my break from work.

grr, no econ grades for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Rosita

elmyra wrote:
    Me me me I have a question! *raises hand*.

When you say you get the results of your finals posted out, will they also be online, and if not, will they be sent to both your home address and college address? I will inevitably be working the day they come out and home is a bit of a drive away...and I don't particularly want them opened for me. Any ideas?

They tend to be available on-line about a week or ten days before they arrive by post so you'll have first glance at them.

final year economics results OUT NOW on the department notice board.

Got myself a degree!!! haha

The 9th of July seems a bit misleading if Economics results are out already.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote:
    The 9th of July seems a bit misleading if Economics results are out already.

They're provisional.
    Some departments have had pre board meetings and some people have got their final results already too. The 9th seems like the day everyone has to have them by, rather than the day everyone gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Everyone should have got this e-mail. Yeah the 9th seems to be the latest they'll be out. The waiting is killing me.
    Dear Student,

I hope you are enjoying your summer break.

I am contacting you to let you know that your examination results will be released no later than Monday 9th July and will be available on SISWeb https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/twbkwbis.P_GenMenu?name=homepage

If you are due to be conferred prior to the 9th July, your results will be made available to you on SISWeb prior to your conferral date.

A guide will also be available to you at http://www.ucd.ie/exams/info_stu.htm when you access your results. This will provide you with information on your results and repeat options should you receive any fail grades.

For information on registration for 2007/2008 please visit the current students’ website http://www.ucd.ie/students/index. This site will display registration information from mid July.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you success in your results and look forward to welcoming you back to UCD in September.

Kind regards

Dr Sinéad Critchley
    Director of Assessment

On SIS it says the results won't be online til the 9th. (Unless you're conferred before then). Damn cos not all of us can go in to check noticeboards. Knowing they're there and going to work. Cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Is there a way to get percentiles? I'd be curious to know how I did relatively (I dont think commerce results go up on a noticeboard anywhere).

For other purposes, I need a physical copy of the official results judgment for July 9th (at the latest) as it happens, and these people aren't even committing to having them even on the web until then, a full five weeks after the last exams were held. Then just to annoy they leave the vague hint out there that the results may be put up in dribs and drabs without notice at some stage before that date, while a few years ago - in less progressive times we are led to believe - the results dates were published on the website well in advance. By comparison I see according to the NUIG forum they had their results available a few days ago.

With UCD it's difficult to make up your mind where incompetence ends and contempt for students begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Results were always put up in dribs and drabs prior to modularisation being introduced, that's nothing new, what is new is the fact that there isn't a rough deadline as to when those results will be available per course.

• Advertisement

Results were always put up in dribs and drabs prior to modularisation being introduced, that's nothing new, what is new is the fact that there isn't a rough deadline as to when those results will be available per course.

I have no difficulty with results being put up in dribs and drabs. It's when it appears to be a completely arbitrary "check the website" approach and there is no timetable whatsoever for this I have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I know how you feel, I also really need mine before the 9th but at this point I've just accepted that UCD is kind of ****. I finished my UCD exams on June 2nd and a friend of mine only began his Trinity exams on June 5th. He got his results last week. The UCD Engineers, or at least the ones doing finals, had exams on June 2nd, the last day of exams, and also have their results. Grrrrr.

Rosita wrote:
    They tend to be available on-line about a week or ten days before they arrive by post so you'll have first glance at them.

Thanks. I remain skeptical given that I read my Christmas results off a wall in the History department while almost consumed by about 50 others trying to do the same before they got taken down for breaching data protection. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

elmyra wrote:
    Thanks. I remain skeptical given that I read my Christmas results off a wall in the History department while almost consumed by about 50 others trying to do the same before they got taken down for breaching data protection. :rolleyes:

Those results are still up there by the way! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah but they took down the tutorial lists, so you couldnt go look at the list, find people's names and student number and check their results. That was the problem, not putting the results up themselves I think.

Rosita wrote:
    I have no difficulty with results being put up in dribs and drabs. It's when it appears to be a completely arbitrary "check the website" approach and there is no timetable whatsoever for this I have a problem with it.

Tbh that date was always random, just for once the date is the same for all students, I mean I can say that over the two years I never once got my results the day they said that they were to be out on. I always got them before. It was always just a guideline, just like this one is.

We always knew when we were about to get ours because we were always on clinical when the exam board was being held and it was the only time no lecturer would appear in the hospital.

Tbh that date was always random, just for once the date is the same for all students, I mean I can say that over the two years I never once got my results the day they said that they were to be out on. I always got them before. It was always just a guideline, just like this one is.

We always knew when we were about to get ours because we were always on clinical when the exam board was being held and it was the only time no lecturer would appear in the hospital.

First of all it should be said that 9th July is a meaningless date for anybody except admin. This appears to be their final date for having everything done. It's obvious from speaking to them that results will be out before this but they can give no specific information other than this date when pressed.

It's not so much the random dates I have a difficulty with as the fact that dates remain undisclosed. If they said Arts will be out of June 25th, Medicine on June 26th etc. that'd be fair enough, and if they arrived earlier obviously nobody would complain.

The difficulty here is that the are suggesting a date in July which is ridiculously late, and it is unacceptable that people are expected to check the website every day (and despite the 9th July date, knowing human nature it's what they will do) and look for other arbitrary signs that the results might be out as if they were amateur weather forecasters watching the movements of animals or soimething.

I have no difficulty with them having a week or ten days during which the various results are disseminated as long as there are specific guideline dates for each course. For those of us who are now finished and need judgements for other purposes, 9th July is just too late - and until we get proper information that's the date we have to go on.

The exams finished on 2nd June. Surely by the end of the month they should have been able have this sorted. Why does it take so much longer now than a few years ago? It wouldn't matter to me whether I get them on June 24th or June 28th, but I would like to know. In any event, everybody realises that the results for all courses are not going to be "magiced" up on the website at midnight on July 9th, so why not disclose actual dates for each course as in other years? A little organisation is all that would be required. But the idea that, for those like myself who are finished and need these things now, you cannot get a physical copy of your results before July 9th - irrespective of the availability date for results - is simply unfair to people who might like to go on holidays or whatever and do not want to sit around for half the summer waiting for admin to get off the pot. It is ridiculous that in a post-grad application situation, say a NUIG or Trinity student can give the middle of June as a date for availability for results, while in UCD all you can say is the 9th July knowing that it might be earlier but you cannot give any guarantees. It is just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

They always take about a month from the end of exams.No point moaning about the 'state of UCD admin'. It's always been the same amount of time you have to wait.

funktastic wrote:
    They always take about a month from the end of exams.No point moaning about the 'state of UCD admin'. It's always been the same amount of time you have to wait.

That's simply not true. Three years ago I had the results by post on June 22. This year I am told July 9 and not a mention of an official judgement posting date. Yes it was into July last year as well, but the fact that the slipping of standards has been gradual does not excuse it. Other colleges have results out long in advance of UCD and it puts UCD students going for post-graduate places or jobs against people from other colleges at a disadvantage. Final year students will appreciate this point.

For example, I need a results judgement on the 9th July (it is the closing date for handing this in and not unreasonable as it is the best part of two months after the interview for the post-grad course in question) and this presumably means that I will have to travel to UCD to (hopefully) physically get this on that day if they are open and in full working order. Then I will have to go to the other college with it on that same day. While it's easy to dismiss this as no big deal it should be unecessary and it does mean that I cannot go away for the summer as I had planned. If the judgements are not available on the 9th - and I wouldn't ever bet on them being there - then I have to start making excuses to the other college whose own students will have had their results a good three weeks before. UCD, as a university should be well aware of these factors, but obviously don't care too much about it.

Getting back to the more general point; in the last couple of years the dates for release of the exam results on the web were signposted by course and date well in advance. This year I am told July 9 for all exams and if it's better than that you'll be lucky. Needless to say this is as a result of a phone-call with no direct indication of this on the UCD website which just the other day updated one part of its site with the crucial information as to when the Semester 2 exams finished. That's how badly these people are struggling.

Three years ago I knew the dates of my exams in the month of March. This year exam dates were still 'provisional' at the start of May, just a fortnight before the exams started. Only someone in serious denial would not agree that there has been a significant deterioration in the whole examination process over the past few years.

And if 'moaning about the state of UCD admin' is unacceptable, perhaps you could direct me to whoever actually is responsible and I'll happily moan about them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

In any of my exams I've done for the past six years it's taken about 1 month. Yep they are **** about not getting results early. I've finished my H Dip in Ed and it would be appreciated if i got my results a bit earlier than this seeing as ive paid 5k for the course and need results for interviews.

The modular system is responsible as UCD havent put on enough staff to deal with this since September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

funktastic wrote:

two years ago I got my results in mid-June 3 weeks after I finished my exams

there is simply no excuses for UCD to only release exam results 5 weeks after the exams finish, infact overall there is a smaller volume of exams to correct at Summer in comparison to 2 years back. Ok, after the first year of S&M you could expect delays and problems but 2 years on there is no progress, only going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

Exam Board meetings:

I was tempted to start a new thread for this, but what the hell - does anyone have an idea of exam board meeting dates? I am not around dublin to ask the usual people who would know. So far I have heard that Quinn School Board is meeting 28th or 29th, but that is all i know. Anyone know when Law Exam board is meeting?

The meetings are often a good rough guide to result dates for those two faculties anyway -as they are usually up 3-5 days after the meeting, but for obvious reasons, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Almost all of the exam boards are on this week, so ye should be getting your results by the 2nd week of July (after all the triple-checking).

There are more boards now with modularisation, it ensures that errors don't creep in and you get the result you earned.

Best of luck :)

Exam boards are good rough points of reference but you have to take a few things into account. Like if all the results check out there and then they tend to go up onto sis web within three or four days. However if someone has summarily appealed one of there results (this will have happened for those who got provisional results at christmas) then that paper will be recorrected by another lecturer and a decision taken on the result which will delay the release of exam results slightly.

Radiographys exam board is on today (yuck)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It's a ****ing disgrace. I'm supposed to be graduating on wednesday and still no results:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

My brother is in 3rd med and got his results a day and a half after he did the exams
    Its the difference of the hospitals over the collage

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

I can't wait for my exams... I am in my third yr of a 4 yr course... This yr was worth 48% of my final degree grade, 24% at xmas and 24% in May so.... These results determine a quarter of me degree!!! I know they have said the 9th of july but I still find myself checking SIS nearly every day!!! It's a joke...

DIT got their results nearly two weeks ago and they did their exams at the same time and in total have about the same amt of students I think???

So frustrating!!! :mad:

As all her friends in Trinity and Maynooth celebrate their results, Elmo wonders why she's still waiting....

Ghey.

elmyra wrote:
    As all her friends in Trinity and Maynooth celebrate their results, Elmo wonders why she's still waiting....

Ghey.

Because you chose UCD! Fatal error there.

• Advertisement

Just after getting my results there.

Happy days.

Edit: anyone any ideas of what the story is for trad students appealling subjects??? Need to appeal two and can't find it on ucd.ie

Advertisement