Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exams results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

well I presume admin is closed now. Oh well

Actually I think (and Font might be able to clear this up) that there was some mention of 9pm results? Which seems a bit strange considering I doubt people are working that late....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Grapevine: Fully modular students by + large will get their results next Monday, which is poo cause I know mine are ready-to-go but I have to wait for a uniform release date so that the system can crash under the pressure so we all have to wait even longer for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

padser wrote:
    Actually I think (and Font might be able to clear this up) that there was some mention of 9pm results? Which seems a bit strange considering I doubt people are working that late....

hey padser! yea i asked the guy about that and he said some results may be put on that late. not for B+L tho obviously! so freaking annoying, was funny cause as i was walking out of the tierney building two lads in front of me were bitching about how they would have to stay in work until well after 9! i think that only smaller degrees would be put up that late tho. he said the larger ones are put on earlier in the day to ensure that nothing goes wrong and if something does happen it can be cleared up before the end of the working day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I failed sociology and passed English in my final year but I heard that you can't repeat exams. Do I have to repeat both subjects or can I just do sociology for a year?

i heard about that not repeating thing too. a girl i know said her friend failed a final year subject in arts and cant repeat. thats complete madness, why wouldnt you be able to repeat? makes no sense to me! hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

AFAIK you can't repeat the exam but you can repeat the year with just the subject you failed and be capped at a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

47% average for 3rd year. Goodbye UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

ShaneU wrote:
    I failed sociology and passed English in my final year but I heard that you can't repeat exams. Do I have to repeat both subjects or can I just do sociology for a year?

you only have to repeat Sociology next year. unfortunately, you can only get a pass degree so even if u got 95%, its irrelevant. University will put it down as 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

However (I'm open to correction) if you repeat both subjects, you're capped at a 2.1. (Two of my friends knew they were going to fail, so they checked things out in March and as far as I know that's the information they were given.) Call the programme office to find out, I'd imagine they should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I can't believe they let me into 4th year, I really didn't deserve it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Rosita

Blush_01 wrote:
    However (I'm open to correction) if you repeat both subjects, you're capped at a 2.1. (Two of my friends knew they were going to fail, so they checked things out in March and as far as I know that's the information they were given.) Call the programme office to find out, I'd imagine they should know.

My understanding (which of course is not fact) is that you are capped at a pass grade once you repeat.

There is a certain logic to it, as otherwise someone who gets 37% and fails (but might get 55% in repeats) has an advantage over someone who gets say 45% and is stuck on it even though they too would probably do betten in repeats.

I had always though it was strange that someone who failed narrowly had in effect an advantage - notwithstanding the hassle of studying during the summer - over someone who passed narrowly. Then when I heard about repeats being capped at a pass it made sense, as it creates a huge incentive to work towards the initial exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Got the results there on monday, and was shocked to find according to the marks on SIS i had failed politics by 1.5%! (final year)
    needless to say i rang the department immediatly and was told by the secetary that it was now just a matter of repeating the year.
    for me this was not an option because i already had to repeat a year in college.
    i went up to ucd yesterday to an exam feedback session in the pol department and checked the breakdown of my results on the notice board!
    i had recieved a 0 for an exam on sat in the clash centre in quinn. according to the politics department i never sat the exam but when i insisted i had they went looking for the paper and in the mean time told me to check with my other department to make sure that the other paper i sat that day had been recieved, after checking which only took about ten minutes, i found that they had and so i went back up to politics and at this stage my paper had been found
    they corrected it there but made me wait until today to inform me i had actually now not just passed politics over all but recieved honours.
    anyways i got my 2.2 so i would just suggest that everyone double checkes their marks etc.
    alls well that ends well but they never apologised to me or even said congrats when i was told my actual result!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Thats not even funny. Thank god you went and investigated it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've definitely heard of that before. Paper's going missing and the department just assuming you never turned up for the exam and giving you a 0.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to compensate at all when you fail a final year subject. Say you get 60% in one subject and 39% in another, would they still make you repeat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

you are in arts. You just have to get 40% overall to pass or 50% for a 2.2 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

you are in arts. You just have to get 40% overall to pass or 50% for a 2.2 etc.

thats not true. If you fail a subject, you fail the course.

So if I got 80% in economics and 38% in politics, I fail 3rd Year Arts and can only get a Pass Degree if I resit next year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3rd year science results are up today! yey!!! no more waiting for me :D
    Well done miss 10 A's, beating my measly 8.

still no results for final B+L..............

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Still no Ag results... :( I've resigned myself to it being Monday now before an end is put to my misery (or not!)

As far I knew you could compensate (in 4th yr ag anyway) but your capped for the pass grade so therefore your overall degree garde is affected however, in ag its over about 24 subjects - 12 in third yr and 12 in 4th yr! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

tintinr35 wrote:
    Got the results there on monday, and was shocked to find according to the marks on SIS i had failed politics by 1.5%! (final year)
    needless to say i rang the department immediatly and was told by the secetary that it was now just a matter of repeating the year.

Are you saying you can actually repeat final year arts if you fail it?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

BnL results are up. Are commerce?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

BMcG05 wrote:
    thats not true. If you fail a subject, you fail the course.

So if I got 80% in economics and 38% in politics, I fail 3rd Year Arts and can only get a Pass Degree if I resit next year

No, I've checked this (with two people who checked with the Arts Programme Office) and as long as you repeated both subjects, you would be capped at a 2.1. I'll call myself tomorrow, if I get the time.

If you only repeat one subject, you're capped at a pass degree.

However: If you're capped, you're awarded a 2.1 or pass degree, but you can explain to prospective employers that you got x in y and x in z, but you were capped at a pass/2.1 degree because you repeated, due to <insert reason here>

Yes, you can repeat final Arts mloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No B.Sc Ec + Fi yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

BnL results are up. Are commerce?

where are the bnl results up? sis?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yup. This is 4th year now.

oh right so we lowly 3rd years have to wait? sigh

and you get on well by the way?

p_larkin99 wrote:
    oh right so we lowly 3rd years have to wait? sigh

and you get on well by the way?
    Aye. Not bad at all at all. I haven't heard any complaints as of yet either!

Good luck in yours!

Aye. Not bad at all at all. I haven't heard any complaints as of yet either!

Good luck in yours!

nice one, well done!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Tintinr35, that's ridiculous. Glad you got that sorted out!!

I got 65.3% overall and I'm really happy with that. It's perfect because if I'd gotten higher I'd have started getting annoyed at how close it was to a first! But now I'm perfectly happy with my 2:1. It's very strange to think that I have a degree though. Madness.

Congratulations to everyone that got what they needed, and commiserations to those that didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I did some of my finals,I still didnt get my results as i forgot to pay the fees as i was stick when i got the giro.
    i will pay in the morning.:(

Advertisement