Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Chocolate in Shops

• 30-05-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best hot chocolate to buy in shops? I don't like the cadbury powder one at all (unless I am making it wrong) Can you buy syrups from anywhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

North Dublin but willing to travel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Aero hot chocolate powder = yum. Really creamy and not as sickly as Cadburys. Available in sachets and large tins in some Tescos and Superquinns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Some good suggestions here.

I personally like the Galaxy powder. You're supposed to make it with water, so it's light in calories, but still tastes great. Can't guarantee you can get it here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Weirdly enough, my favourite is Tesco's own brand (not tesco value though, I'm not that bad). I love hot chocolate because i don't drink tea or coffee and would be willing to pay for it but I just found the tesco one the nicest (when you make it with milk of course)... It comes in a big red tin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

marks and sparks stuff, it's actually fine flakes of chocolate so they melt well. savage hot choc tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 botvot

I can definately recommend Green & Black's hot choc if you're willing to spend a little more. Tesco sells it, but you might have to look for it on the Organic Food shelves.

Faith wrote:
    Some good suggestions here.

Thanks, but that thread was more for cafes. I'm trying to stay away from powders so I may give the M&S brand a whirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

botvot wrote:
    I can definately recommend Green & Black's hot choc if you're willing to spend a little more. Tesco sells it, but you might have to look for it on the Organic Food shelves.

The Green & Blacks is excellent. Make it with milk and put a couple of cubes of Green & Blacks in the mug to melt - delicious.

Charbonnel et Walker is another excellent (if expensive) brand.

Look for a high cocoa content on the label if you want good hot chocolate. Cadbury's isn't chocolate - just milk solids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

boreds wrote:
    Thanks, but that thread was more for cafes. I'm trying to stay away from powders so I may give the M&S brand a whirl.

If you're trying to stay away from powders, give this recipe a go - it only uses pure cocoa powder & high quality chocolate:

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 cups whole milk
    * 100g 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
    * 4 teaspoons pure cocoa powder
    * 4 teaspoons sugar (adjust the sugar to taste)
    * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from 1/4 vanilla pod
    * optional: whipped cream and additional cocoa for sprinkling

PREPARATION:
    1. Bring cream or milk to a simmer over med-high heat.

2. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted.

3. In a mug, stir the cocoa and sugar together with a little milk until the mixture starts to blend. (You can do this while the milk is heating)

4. Whisk the sugar/cocoa mixture and vanilla into the milk until the mixture is frothy.

To serve:

Spoon on a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with some cocoa, or try adding a dash of cinnamon.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, now that Winter is firmly among us, I will be trying that recipe, Rockbeer.

Advertisement