Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation firms?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

My former University lecturer suggested that I should consider German-English Translation...apparently there was a shortage of native English speakers who could translate from German into English. Does anyone here know where I could look?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

depends on the field of translation you have in mind. Technical or literature? Like translating the manual for a tractor or the latest bestseller of Günther Grass? As a freelance translator or as an employee?

As an employee for technical translation look up www.merrillbrink.com or at the SAP website. Or search the recruitment agencies.

As a freelancer, well, good luck to you! It takes a long time to earn enough for a living. You have to make contact with all the companies who work internationally.

For literature it takes a bit more than being capable to translate. You should be a good writer yourself. There is a translator association, methinks, you have to google it. And as far as I know the arts council is a good source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Well probably as a Freelancer...wasn't suggested as a sole income...but as a way I could earn some money even if I was doing other things. A native German herself who knows my level, she must feel I'm capable. I really do have a passion for the German and other languages...and yes I'd consider myself an articulate writer in English. She told me that she would send me contact information...currently waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Okay, I couldn't make out from your first post what exactly you want. I'm a freelance translator myself, only the other way round, English to German. I know how hard it can get when you rely on an income as a freelancer, especially when you have to deal with German clients mostly. Not because they are Germans but because to make contact from Ireland isn't that easy. It's even harder when you just get started and have no references, i.e. something you've already translated.
    But if it's only something on the side you can afford to be patient and try your luck.

contact the following:
    www.translatorsassociation.ie

pm on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Guillo

Most big agencies have job pages where you can submit your resume to be considered as a resource for projects. I would suggest just searching for them around the web and filling all forms you come across.

I have worked for a few agencies in the past, both in house and as a freelancer. You can check out this list of Translation Firms or look around this Translation Directory. Both are general lists with a couple hundred agency websites and other resources that you may want to check out. But mostly, just Google! You will find plenty of sites to apply. Getting callbacks, well, that-s another story depending on your resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

four year old thread :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement