Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone here own a 7 series???

Options
  • 30-05-2007 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

ok guys, i plan on splashing out in the next 6 months since i got a promotion. I am thinking of a 2005 7 series. Maybe go for the 740i or something around that engine size!! I have never been in one or drivin one either. main thing that worries me is the reliability, any thoughts??

Comments

Thats a big step up from a Starbo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

5 series actually. i still have the glanza though, for those adrenaline rushes!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Glanza V wrote:
    ok guys, i plan on splashing out in the next 6 months since i got a promotion. I am thinking of a 2005 7 series. Maybe go for the 740i or something around that engine size!! I have never been in one or drivin one either. main thing that worries me is the reliability, any thoughts??

well first things first drive it and see if you like it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Glanza, if you log onto Racershaven.com (I'm not sure if your a member) one of the guys recently bought a 740i. He only has it about a week but I'm sure he could give you some pointers and pros and cons of ownership. He says its crazy fast anyway, it has the same engine as the old M5!:) I'll post a link later if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Try the BMW forums in my sig; there are a couple of them in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,310 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I own the previous model, an E38. I don't know that much about the new model but the V8 engines are further developed versions of the one that's in my car. The engines are excellent and will apparently last about 400,000km without major issue. Mine has about 220,000km on it now

By all means, test drive it to see is it what you want. I haven't driven one myself yet. Just a warning that a 2 year old 7-series has a lot of depreciation to do over the next few years. As an alternative, did you consider an S-class?

astraboy wrote:
    Glanza, if you log onto Racershaven.com (I'm not sure if your a member) one of the guys recently bought a 740i. He only has it about a week but I'm sure he could give you some pointers and pros and cons of ownership. He says its crazy fast anyway, it has the same engine as the old M5!:) I'll post a link later if your interested.

might do but not at the same level of tune i dont think

are you looking for the current shape 7? do they come in a 740i? thought ti was 745

i dont like mercs!!! i will try and test drive when i get a chance but that wont be until a week or two due to work. Anyone have any first hand experience with the i drive?? Is it easy to use and reliable??? I dont mind taking a hit with depreciation, its after taking most of the hit anyway.

astraboy wrote:

ye that would be great. i heard about racershaven alright and i was on there but i cant get on anymore for some reason.

Cyrus wrote:
    might do but not at the same level of tune i dont think

are you looking for the current shape 7? do they come in a 740i? thought ti was 745

yes i am looking for the current one, the one with the i drive. I am not sure on the exact models though. i remember the older one being a 740, i just assumed they never changed. maybe i am wrong though.

• Advertisement

Check these guys out:

www.the7seriesregister.co.uk

The engine of the old M5 is indeed based on the regular V8, with a few *coughs* minor adjustments :)

Glanza V wrote:
    i dont like mercs!!! i will try and test drive when i get a chance but that wont be until a week or two due to work. Anyone have any first hand experience with the i drive?? Is it easy to use and reliable??? I dont mind taking a hit with depreciation, its after taking most of the hit anyway.

After 2 years, not even close, another 3/4 years hard crippling depreciation on that baby yet!!

i drive is ok but you need to give it a week or two, its not very intuitive at first

I used the idrive in the current 5-series. It is simpler than the one in the 7-series but still not that intuitive. But I'm sure one would get used to it

unkel wrote:
    Check these guys out:

www.the7seriesregister.co.uk

The engine of the old M5 is indeed based on the regular V8, with a few *coughs* minor adjustments :)

will definatly check it out!! Thanks.

unkel wrote:
    I used the idrive in the current 5-series. It is simpler than the one in the 7-series but still not that intuitive. But I'm sure one would get used to it

its like everything i guess, give it a week or so and you never look back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The iDrive is grand. It's like buying any new electronic appliance, whether its a phone, or a tv, it'll take half a day to learn it. Of course, because it's in a car, people expect to be able to use it immediately without reading the manual :rolleyes:

The iDrive in the 7 though is a very different animal to the iDrive in the 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

My uncle in the UK has a 2006 740i. I've driven it a few times and its a fantastic car. Its pretty fast but drinks the juice, he only gets about 18mpg as he drives the sh1t out of it. I had the I-drive arguement with him a few times and he reckons that its grand once you get the hang of it which apparently only takes a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

What a waste of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm also interested in '05 7 series, I'm looking into a 730d. Theres no way I'd buy an Irish 7 series, even with VRT factored in they are over €20k cheaper in the UK and higher spec.

20k cheaper with vrt paid :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

DonJose wrote:
    I'm also interested in '05 7 series, I'm looking into a 730d. Theres no way I'd buy an Irish 7 series, even with VRT factored in they are over €20k cheaper in the UK and higher spec.

The oul lad gets a new one every year. Nothing bad to say about them. The cream leather interior looks a bit cheap. The 730 diesel is animal fast and runs off the smell of diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Cyrus wrote:
    20k cheaper with vrt paid :eek:
    Yeah the VRT on a 2005 730d is roughly €20k.

I found a 730d in the UK, one owner, 30k miles, high spec including sat nav, leather, automatic, parking assist and so on, for €40k.

I've seen 730ds on carzone, same year, same miles, less specs going for €75-85K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Buy a Lexus LS400, more subtle and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There is a version of this car that runs on Hydrogen. Only a few of them are available in Germany. I dont know whether it is a standard production version or pre-production..

Advertisement