Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raleigh or Leader for commuting?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Sorry, guys I know this forum is full of "help me pick a bike" posts like this.

I haven't been on a bike in the 15 years since I got my driving licence. However, I'm now working very near home and am thinking biking would make an awful lot of sense.

My birthday is approaching and the inlaws, my parents and my partner have agreed to chip in so I can get a nice bike for commuting.

The roads around here are reasonably new and the bike lanes aren't terrible either so I don't need anything that is especially all-terrain.

Originally I thought I wanted to get a Raleigh Caprice but I went to a shop in Kinnegad and saw a Leader Primavera that I quite liked. Both are in and around €300.

Because I don't know anything about bikes I'm worried I might pick one that's really not good at all. For instance the guy in the shop said the lights (built in, powered by the bike) on the Primavera often stop working but that they'd just give me a set of normal lights if that happened. That sounded a bit dodgey but very honest as well.

Both seem to have big, strong looking frames which must be a good thing. I don't plan on changing my bike often so I'd want something that will stand the test of time if at all possible! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Raleigh today sell Chinese mass produced poor quality bikes, I'd stay away from them.

E300 isn't much if you want to get something decent, you'd probably have to spend a little more. I'd look into getting an entry level Giant or Claud Butler, both brands sell decent quality entry level bikes at affordable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I know 300 isn't much (my colleague spent 500 on a bike for her 7 year old!) but it's all I've got! LOL

I hear what you're saying about the Raleigh, the bike shop seemed to say the same in not so many words but they seemed to think the Leader was a good brand.

I looked at the giant entry level ones (about 300) but they weren't exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your reply!

Advertisement