Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Suicidal Tendencies appreciation thread

• 30-05-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Dug out some S.T at the weekend, jeez their first 4 or 5 records were really good.
    Actually some of their music still sounds fresher than their thrash counterparts but S.T for me transcended the whole metal sphere with their punk/skater thing (even before Avril Lavigne)
    Saw them live once in Prague 95.

Some classic trax

Join the Army
    Trip at the brain, You Can't bring me down, Institutionalized, Pledge your allegience,
    Your thoughts guys....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

I remember hearing 'Bring Me Down' on the metal show on Horizon Radio years ago. (Anyone remember that show?) That one tune got me hooked on the band! I still throw on 'the Art of Rebellion' every once in a while and really enjoy it.

And the Infectious Grooves stuff is deadly aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

How will I laugh tomorrow... is definitely one of the best metal albums of the 80's. They played Dublin promoting this album and I definitely saw them but I'm ****ed if I can remember where. Can any body enlighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

So I take it no one beside a few were at the gig in the Temple Bar Music Centre a few years ago then?

and jellikit - it was in Top Hat I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They played McGonagles touring How Will I Laugh... they played the Top Hat after Feel Like **** came out. Missed the McGonagles one but saw the Top Hat gig with M.O.D.

Saw em in TBMC a few years back... they started with You Can't Bring Me Down and what a ****ing tune to kick a gig off with :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Jaysus, I remember years ago I had the only ST album I own (the first one) on my bed and my mother said "what's that you're listening to? Suicidal Tendencies? What sort of music is that to be listening to"
    My reply:
    "Don't you think after 22 years of my existence, it's a bit late to be asking me that?!"
    :D

Great band and that one in particular is a great album.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    Saw em in TBMC a few years back... they started with You Can't Bring Me Down and what a ****ing tune to kick a gig off with :)

Yeah but for me that gig was ruined by the tosser who got on stage and claimed he could sing in irish - always cringe remembering that

Ph3n0m wrote:
    and jellikit - it was in Top Hat I think

Yeah, you could be right, I saw some great gigs there between '88 and '90 I think. Whatever happened to that place, is it still going? I haven't heard it mentioned in years

Doctor J wrote:
    They played McGonagles touring How Will i laugh

Doctor J , are you sure about this? I asked a mate who used to travel to gigs with me around this time and he wasnt sure. For some weird reason the memory of my later teenage years seems to be a bit hazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Yeah but for me that gig was ruined by the tosser who got on stage and claimed he could sing in irish - always cringe remembering that

Haha, had forgotten all about that - thought it was so pathetic at the time, but can laugh about it now..

jellikit wrote:
    Doctor J , are you sure about this? I asked a mate who used to travel to gigs with me around this time and he wasnt sure. For some weird reason the memory of my later teenage years seems to be a bit hazy

Yep, 100%. I couldn't make it myself but a couple of my mates went, returning with tales of insane crowd surfing during Surf And Slam. They also appeared on Jo Maxi that evening, miming to Trip At The Brain if memory serves me well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

yeah I remeber the JO Maxi thing....I was just watching it at tea time when they came on I was WTF???

buck65 wrote:
    yeah I remeber the JO Maxi thing....I was just watching it at tea time when they came on I was WTF???

yeah wouldnt it be nice if that was on youtube....let me check :)

no, nothing :(

I don't think anyone in their right mind was expecting to see it and would have had a tape ready. It was... well, it was a slight departure for that show to put it mildly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Shank

yeah I remember being pissed that tickets sold out so quickly for the McGonagles gig, although it was a blast seeing them in the TBMC. I gotta say I thought that guy who got up on stage was great, he was such a tool it was hilarious.

Speaking of McGonagles, anyone else have tickets to see Nirvana there, I was gutted when they cancelled for a venue change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kharn wrote:
    Jaysus, I remember years ago I had the only ST album I own (the first one) on my bed and my mother said "what's that you're listening to? Suicidal Tendencies? What sort of music is that to be listening to"
    My reply:
    "Don't you think after 22 years of my existence, it's a bit late to be asking me that?!"

Great band and that one in particular is a great album.
    The she said, KHARN, you're on drugs... and kharn said, no I'm not mom, all I want is a pepsi, just one pepsi. :D

I love ST, unfortunatley have never seen them, unlike my mates who saw them in dublin. :/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The she said, KHARN, you're on drugs... and kharn said, no I'm not mom, all I want is a pepsi, just one pepsi. :D
    excellent!

"Still Cyco After All These Years" is IMO even better than their self titled debut which was an excellent album.

Original

SCAATY Version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Yesterday as I went out of the house
    I saw a body lying down quiet as a mouse
    Lying face down in the sewer
    I got up closer and realized that I knew her
    All her organs coming from her inside
    Slashed up skin, sliced-up hide
    Turned her over and saw the tire tracks on her head
    That's when I realized she was dead

He he Best lyrics ever.

Great band, I only got to see them a few years ago in TBMC but by then it was really only Mike Muir. Good gig tho apart from yer man singing oro se do bheatha abhaile .

Art of Rebellion was one of my favourites tho. Monopoly on Sorrow was a great tune not a typical Suicidal track.

on a side note, I do have to recommend the first two Infectious Grooves albums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

"All I wanted was a Pepsi!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Ph3n0m wrote:
    on a side note, I do have to recommend the first two Infectious Grooves albums :)
    Deffo, Mas Boriacho(sp) is damn good too.
    Anyone goin to the Download should check suicidal out, one of the best bands I've seen live.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    Yep, 100%. I couldn't make it myself but a couple of my mates went, returning with tales of insane crowd surfing during Surf And Slam. They also appeared on Jo Maxi that evening, miming to Trip At The Brain if memory serves me well.

HaHA! Its all coming back to me now, it was the mention of Jo Maxi that did it. My brother taped this for me as he knew I was going to see them that night. They played "the feelings back" if Im not mistaken . In fact Im sure Ive
    still got the video somewhere. Ill see can I dig it out

Dig, man, dig!!! :D

I didnt find the Suicidal Tendencies video yet, but I just found a video of Headbangers Ball, Death, Doom and thrash metal special from 29th March 1992. Its got Megadeth, Pantera, Cathedral, Carcass, COC, Entombed etc. Looks like Ill be giving my weekly half shandy down the local a miss tonight! Im just off to look for my rose coloured spectacles now

• Registered Users Posts: 31 getthegarglein

jellikit wrote:
    Whatever happened to that place, is it still going? I haven't heard it mentioned in years

Its gone... there's a block of apartments there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alonmias

the first infectious album was great, the other ones not so much...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLetfd4oLSE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ST's were always a bit of fun. those were the days. skateboards and headbands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Think the SFX is gone now too.

I remember my first gig there, Accept supported by Anthrax, 1986 methinks?

Twas funny, Anthrax arrived in a mini bus to the front door, there was a good few lads and lassies outside to give them a cheer as they got off the bus.

I'll never forget the culchie who roared at the top of his voice as they passed
    "Jaaaysus lads! They're ****in' tiny!!!"

Welcome to dublin Anthrax!

Accept were class.

Wasp played there twice, Manowar blew the cobwebs off the place...

Can't talk any more ..... drowning in nostalgia:o

sadly the SFX is gone - completely demolished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ no way! Never knew that! last band i saw there were megadeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Last band I saw there was Megadeth too, "The World needs a Hero Tour" i think, yeah the Art of rebellion was for me one of the best albums Ive heard, had a discussion there with my bro earlier, I think if that album was re released now i think it would do really REALLY well

Advertisement