Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparative

Options
  • 30-05-2007 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI, I'm doing How "Many Miles to Babylon?", "Death and Nightingales" and Witness(film) but this area is by far my weakest. I have no notes whatsoever on them and am unsure how to approach the question.

Can anybody give me a bit of a pointer on how to approach the cultural context question? Even the headings I could examine each text under would be useful. At this moment I don't even know where to begin. We also did theme or issue and I'm slightly better off for that but still any info would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Cultural Context is the world of the text. You can use one point similar to each or you can use mutiple points.

HMMTP
    - Class/Religion
    - Prejudice
    - Relationships
    - War
    - Family Life
    - Friendship
    - Class Snobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Sure.
    The kind of stuff you'd discuss in a cultural context question would be:

Setting - Place and time?
    How do people live?
    What role do women/men play in society?
    What role does religion play in society?
    What is the political structure?
    What is the class structure?
    Conventions of society - marriage, education etc.
    Upper class's expectation of others, Lower class's subservience.
    Corruption?
    Superstition?

Obviously not all that stuff is gonna come into your 3 texts (though most of it comes into mine), but hopefully there's enough there to discuss for your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Could someone please tell me something?I really should have asked my english teacher before school ended but I forgot.In my cultural context question can I write about more than one aspect of the cultural context.For instance can I write a paragraph on religion, and then a paragraph on class distinctions?Or do I have to stick to writing the whole essay on one thing, just like the theme and issue question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

You have to write about several diferent aspects of question. i.e yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Really?Huh.I guess cultural context wouldn't be that bad of a question to get then.The only thing that really pisses me off is the fact that my 3rd text (the curious incident of the dog in the night time) has ****ing nothing in common with my other 2 texts (Silar Marner, and Juno and the paycock) except for the theme of disability.....and the fact that they're all written in English.Its really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 looloo27

Ya know the way there are 2 choices for comparitive. one is 1 whole question & the other is in 2 parts. for part a) of the 2parter it concentrates on 1 text. should you not mention any of the other 2 texts on that part then?? (if that makes any sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

looloo27 wrote:
    Ya know the way there are 2 choices for comparitive. one is 1 whole question & the other is in 2 parts. for part a) of the 2parter it concentrates on 1 text. should you not mention any of the other 2 texts on that part then?? (if that makes any sense)

Yeah you don't talk about the other two in the first part but remember in the second part you have to talk about the points you mentioned in the first. Doing all 3 in the one question is easier imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Compare means compare and contrast :)

Advertisement