Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon scum - line rental increase!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We do I think, well the EU anyway.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

yeah, highest price in Europe - www.nolinerental.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Man I hate Eircom sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Completely pricing themselves out of the market. Increasing the line rental further just isn't sustainable in my opinion.In the short term it might seem like good business sense but in the long run its very bad. More and more people are getting rid of the landline in favour of mobiles/voip and broadband over a different platform.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Completely pricing themselves out of the market. Increasing the line rental further just isn't sustainable in my opinion.In the short term it might seem like good business sense but in the long run its very bad. More and more people are getting rid of the landline in favour of mobiles/voip and broadband over a different platform.

I agree with you totally - the line rental is an easy cash cow but it is so obviously pushing people towards getting rid of their land lines that the law of diminishing returns must have already kicked in. No wonder they were so anxious to get Meteor.

It makes it all that more infuriating that NTL/UPC have proved to be such a disaster so far in terms of providing any real competition. Eircom mustnt be able to believe their luck:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I believe Meteor was the only decent growth area in Eircons latest financial
    reports. I find it amusing that Eircon have to piggyback on the Vodafone
    network to provide the mobile infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Eircom are scum.....
    I will not buy a Ireland shirt because I don't want their scum name on my shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I believe Meteor was the only decent growth area in Eircons latest financial
    reports. I find it amusing that Eircon have to piggyback on the Vodafone
    network to provide the mobile infrastructure.

vodafone are much, much worse. god I hate those *&^%bags. Eircell was a good company back in the day but when vodafone took over they completely ruined it and the prices havn't gone down since they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This is what Rex Comb said in a statement the other day.
    Mr Comb also told RTE radio Eircom had not applied to the regulator for an increase in its line rental prices, though the company's costs were going up. But he said an increase could not be ruled out in future years.
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0529/eircom.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8451

:mad: the cheek...with the crappy service they offer to customers. Eircom won't be satisfied until we have the highest line rental price in the world!

:mad: :mad:
    #
    i am paying eircom 49 yoyos a month for unlimited local calls and 1mb broadband... i dont really use the landline for calls..

all i need is internet access.. can anyone recommend any other reliable
    cheap alternative to paying eircom €49 a month?

all i need is internet access that works without issues!

and i want to get rid of my land line!

any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

The days of renting a line are over anyway; the future is wireless. 25% of new houses built today don't even have a phoneline. Let them off.

what_car wrote:
    #
    i am paying eircom 49 yoyos a month for unlimited local calls and 1mb broadband... i dont really use the landline for calls..

all i need is internet access.. can anyone recommend any other reliable
    cheap alternative to paying eircom €49 a month?

all i need is internet access that works without issues!

and i want to get rid of my land line!

any recommendations?

Use this to see what's available in your are:
    http://broadband.gov.ie/

I'm paying 50 a month for line rental and 3mb DSL from BT.
    If you don't make many calls and you want higher speed internet then maybe look at this.
    I think BT seem to have the most generous DSL packages but I haven't checked lately so I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

it's threads like this that make me thank god that the house I've just bought is in range of a wireless service...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The days of renting a line are over anyway; the future is wireless. 25% of new houses built today don't even have a phoneline. Let them off.

I'm interested to know when your getting such a stat?

Cabaal wrote:

84.9% of people are well aware of that stat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Conar wrote:
    84.9% of people are well aware of that stat :D

:D

Will this increase have any affect on BT's prices, in particular the phone & broadband packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

How do you mean? It was said during a report on RTE 1 last night on six-one news by a Vodafone CEO. Is that what you are trying to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Cabaal wrote:

Anyone can make up statistics, 14% of people know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Before Privatisation: 82% of housholds had a phone line. Recently 69% of households have a phone line, Comreg figures?

I blame high line rental and install charges. Install charge for a Mobile can be -80 Euro!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It wouldn't be too bad if this money was ploughed into upgrading the network to give the country much better broadband but you know it's not gonna be.

• Advertisement

Some good news: "Eircom to cut 900 jobs by 2010"

About time they cut out some of the fat off that organisation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some good news: "Eircom to cut 900 jobs by 2010"

About time they cut out some of the fat off that organisation.

Yet they're still looking for a line rental rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i heard about that job cut about 2 hours ago, apparently its just one of those things related to attriction, i mean, 2010 , thats almost a 3 year window, eircom never were people to do anything quickly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah its hilarously easy to walk around and just fire 900 people out fo the blue in 1 day. Great for the morale of the company as a whole. And great for the people just doing their jobs and paying the price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Eircom are gits.

now that thats out of the way.... the 900 jobs by 2010 are planned to be as a result of natural employee flow. Retirements, voluntary reduncy etc. they just wont replace the people that leave (except for key and critical positions of course).

Still, I wonder what happens if 900 people dont leave (thats 300 a year after all) ....

having said that... eircom are gits

krazy_8s wrote:
    And great for the people just doing their jobs and paying the price for it.

The irony of it all............. I'm sure they made a pretty penny from the
    floatation. Everyone knows the only winners of that fiasco were the employees
    and the unions whilst 1 in 3 Irish adults lost cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

You won't get rid of wired that easily.. wireless just doesn't have enough capacity. And one way or the other, consumer bandwidth demands always go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

the future is FTTH, hopefully not from eircon

wireless has its usefulness but isn't that great at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The irony of it all............. I'm sure they made a pretty penny from the
    floatation. Everyone knows the only winners of that fiasco were the employees
    and the unions whilst 1 in 3 Irish adults lost cash.

The reason why some many adults lost cash is cause they got into something they didn't have a bloody clue about, the smart people sold their stock off early and made their money and the stupid people didn't know that stock can go up AND down in value :)

• Advertisement

Personally I didn't loose a cent as I knew better than to invest.
    Doesn't mean the government didnt oversell it to the average Irish
    person and give those uneducated at investing the impression it
    was 'risk free'. I stand by what I said earlier in that the only winners
    were Eircom staff and unions.

Advertisement