Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West - why not Niall?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

This election I was surprised not to see Galway Mayor Niall Ó Brolcháin elected to the Dáil as a Green TD.

My main reasons for thinking this were
    A) I thought Niall Ó Brolcháin was popular as mayor of the city
    B) Galway West is a 5 seater
    C) The water scandal should have played right into Green Party hands, given that clean water is a Green issue

What's the story? If you live in that constituency, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

People might have thought he could have dealt better with the water issue as mayor of the city. I'd say if anything that went against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The water crisis really did go against him. He wasn't seen to be doing anything about it or showing much leadership in its wake. Also a lot of people were put off by his roads comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

An offical objection against the outer bypass killed his chances (at the same time calling for a claregalway bypass seemed contradictory). Plus he seemed to show no leadership during the whole water crisis (still ongoing grrr). That was his moment to shine (prefect green issue) and he didn't take it.

Not sure is he seen as having acheived anything in local politics so I dont think many were prepared to take a chance on electing him, I certainly wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yeah he was left holding the can for the water issue while he couldn't do anything about it, because the mayor doesn't have any influence in this area. It's more fo a ceremonial post. It's the Dept of environment that hold the purse strings.

Plus Galway West is a very conservative constituency, it's a lot more than just Galway city. They always seem to elect 2FF, 1 FG, 1 PD and Michael D.
    I was hoping that O'Brollchain would get in and turf Grealish out. But that didn't happen.

Oh well hopefully the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Now I understand.
    Yeah he was left holding the can for the water issue while he couldn't do anything about it, because the mayor doesn't have any influence in this area. It's more fo a ceremonial post. It's the Dept of environment that hold the purse strings.

Plus Galway West is a very conservative constituency, it's a lot more than just Galway city. They always seem to elect 2FF, 1 FG, 1 PD and Michael D.
    I was hoping that O'Brollchain would get in and turf Grealish out. But that didn't happen.
    Yes how did Grealish survive? How long has he been representing GW?

• Advertisement

Umm, isn't he considering leaving politics?

Since 2002. I gave him my number1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Re Grealish. I didn't know that, have been out of Galway for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

toiletduck wrote:
    Since 2002. I gave him my number1.
    Grealish survived because you gave him your number1?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have to say I was most shocked to see Fahy get in again.

Feckin disgusted that the people of my hometown want that greaseball representing them.

H&#250 wrote: »
    Grealish survived because you gave him your number1?

Pretty much :D I was saying for the past few months that Niall wouldn't get in. It was all hype and no substance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Water quality and water treatment falls under the remit of the local authority. Also it emerged since the incident that the mayor and the city manager were warned of the risk of contamination well in advance of its occurance by an independant company and failed to take any action. His respose was to give out that Dick Roche was giving out about him. Bravo....

Also, why are there sweet fek all dustbins on the streets in Galway city? It is a complete disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

I never thought he would get in but I'm still astonished at Graelish's survival -he needed, and got, a doubling of his vote. I thought it would be:

2 FF, 2 FG, 1 Labour.

Not that I'm complaining about Graelish's survival!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Nonsense the rainbow have being running Galway City Council since 2004. They were warned by a cork based filtration company of poisoned water last october €28.5 million was set aside by the department of the enivorment. Pious platitudes follow by rank incompetence thats what O'Brollchain & Co have to show for their time in charge

The man who objected to the outer city bypass that we badly need. Do you live in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

For me there were a large number of reasons (in no particular order):

- Niall's potential vote draw (and Cathrine Connolly) worried Michael D and he deliberately went out to get first peoples preferences. He had to put a lot more effort in that in other recent elections and that previously damaging Niall's poll and also giving him an excellent return.
    - Overall the water crisis did more harm than good for the Niall. It probably hurt him in cases where it was a marginal decision for a voter - a 'but' after everything else has been considered.
    - The cost of the Green's transport policies (in the absence of heavily publicised costings) worry a lot of people.
    - Niall's own area vote was probably hit quite badly by the strength of the PD support.
    - The FF v.s FG face that the election took on probably moved marginal voters to a big party.
    - The Green draw is largely urban and the city was heavily contested.
    - I don't think the 'Brolcháin, Niall Ó' thing was a smart move.

That said I was still slightly surprised how badly he polled.

As for the others. Grealish got back in due to a huge PD segment in Galway. I always knew that FG would struggle for more than one as they don't have enough profile in all the areas of the constituency and their main candidate wanted to retire anyway. I expected FF to take two and hoped that Frank would be the third wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

H&#250 wrote: »
    Now I understand.

This is Noel Grealishs second run in the Dail. Before that he served a few years as a councillor. The reason he got in and got on so well is probably the same reason that a lot of the FF's guys retained their seats. They work hard and deligently for their local constituents and dont rely on full on Media tactics. Noel delivered on a few projects when he was in last time around. As for the Green you need more than the People of Menlo galway, where they outer bypass is running through to get you in. Hes handling of the water crisis was laughable.

Advertisement