Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relatively safe places to park a bicycle in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 30-05-2007 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

I've recently gotten a new job in the city centre (Jervis Centre), and I usually cycle in and park the bike in DIT (where I also go to college). However, the college won't be open during the summer months, so today for the first time I parked it just outside Trinity College, but unfortunately it was stolen :mad: . As the title says, I just want to know is their anywhere in town that I could leave the bike that won't have such a high risk of getting stolen. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Sorry to hear that :(

I normally park my bike on Wicklow St or the one parallel that Lemon is on when I'm in town. Would normally leave it there for 4-5hrs. I use 2 locks.

Leave your bike somewhere there's always people walking past. Outside Lemon is good because there's always people sitting outside the cafes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Max_Damage wrote:

I parked it just outside Trinity College

A good safe place to park your bike is actually inside the grounds of Trinity college. I've parked my bike here every day for nearly six years and I've had no problems. There seems to be an other worldliness about the place that tends for the most part to discourage scumbags. That said my bike will probably be stolen tomorrow after posting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Outside Pearse St. Garda station perhaps?

Having said that, I see plently of bikes outside Store St Garda Station that have wheels missing and have been badly bent and damaged

Hmm....the scumbag who robs bikes outside a garda station is either very stupid or very brave and possibly both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I would probably look for a spot near that open area between Jervis SC and the AXA building. It seems fairly quiet there but not too quiet if ya get me. Theres always a risk but thats where id go for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Wherever you decide to park, don't leave it in the same place all the time - someone might take notice of it and decide to come back later to nick it.

The Jervis Centre is pretty big - there must be somewhere you could bring the bike inside. How about the multi-story car park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give all of them a look and see which one would be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

tywy wrote:
    Leave your bike somewhere there's always people walking past. Outside Lemon is good because there's always people sitting outside the cafes there.
    IIRC recently there was a link on this forum about bike locks. It was a video of a New York bike mechanic 'reviewing' the locks and locking techniques of bikes on the street.
    He actually encouraged parking on quieter streets because a thief would stand out. On a busier street the thief is simply ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I work in the jervis centre too. Bring it into the loading bay just off abbey street and lock it up on the ramp on the left hand side beside debenhams' loading bay. Loads of staff lock their bikes up down there. The loading bay is the massive shutter door beside the marks and spencer loading bay beside the luas stop outside tp smiths.

Sometimes the manager of the bay get narky but just tell him to **** off. That usually shuts him up. He doesn't let anyone bring their car down there, but openly parks his own and washes it down there everyday. He's an awful wanker.

You'll see the ramp just under the office and it goes right up and around with a big hand rail on the left of it. It's out of site too, so no one will even know there's a bike there if a scumbag walks in off the street. When you're going into the bay there's a set of barriers that drivers need to buzz in to gain access. don't bother buzzing in, just go between them and head straight for the ramp.

I've worked there for 6 years, never once had my bike touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

Just read the first couple of replies, so sorry of this has been said already, but I will never lock my (semi) good bikes in town anymmore. Twice in the past couple of months, a friend has had bikes either vandalised or stolen, once from Jervis Street and once from Dawson Street, of all places. Both were well secured and in areas where there are a lot of passers-by. I would consider locking a beaten up old bike that I wouldn't particularly mind losing, but seeing good training bikes getting nicked fairly regularly is bad business...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have a look around businesses in the local area, and have a chat to security guards there - ask if you can leave your bike there during the day. I know in my place, plenty of us leave bikes and motorbikes in the car park on days that we're not working. Ex-staff will also leave their bike in if they need to store it for the day. Security don't stop bikes coming in and out, but there are cameras, so anyone could park their bike and it would be nice and safe.

They may not be overly mad about it because of insurance, but you may find a sound security man. Bikes don't take up any space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I just found out today that the place I work in has a place to park bikes around the back. If only I knew about that on Wednesday. Anyway, again, thanks for your suggestions.

Advertisement