Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jakkass - Free International Texts!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

timmins, I was only thinking about this today. It would be a shame if they reduce the number of webtexts per month or worse, got rid of them completely. :(

Until then...keep up the good work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Timmins

Well after about 3 days of activity theres been almost 3000 views on the page, a figure i'm fairly happy with. The details page you see after you send a message also tells me that 634 messages have been sent to date, with over 200 being sent in the last 24 hours!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to getting the site moving along a bit more, and gaining more traffic and exposure?

Thanks for your support,

t1mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

at that rate your going to need about 20 webtext accounts, and thats not even factoring any growth. I hope you have some way of getting simcards cheaply/free!

Your predictions were right, both the o2 accounts from which international messages are sent were renewed with 250 texts (500 in total) on the 1st, and now (on the 3rd) theres barely 100 left. I can use my own account if needs be, and i'll be getting another o2 account tonight to add to the list. Donut was correct again - its appealing to international customers more so than irish ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would suggest not using your own account.

• Advertisement

the irish people have their own 300 webtexts either, plus theres 4 million people living in Ireland vs how many people outisde of Irelad that have motive to send text messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

I think that's right; after all when sat at a computer, any Irish O2 subscriber could just as well log in to their own account. And other Irish network subscribers can use their own account for Ireland and just use this for international, where they couldn't use AFT either. And with some users from abroad as well, you're bound to see almost all international destinations.

As for getting more traffic and exposure, I wonder if it's a bit early if you're at capacity this quickly and need more SIMs already. This could get quite big, especially with a wap version and if it becomes known internationally.

I agree with the point about traffic ... you can't handle it as it is, so maybe relax a bit.

Also, maybe get some of the free Meteor SIMs and use them for SMS to Irish numbers - no cost to you!

I discovered earlier on that Meteor SIMs are no longer free - you have to buy at least 10euro meteor credit to obtain one, and going to the bother of selling the credit to someone to make it free isn't worth the hassle.

The point was brought up at the MSN table today that outsourcing of sms email gateways could be used to send messages to numbers on particular networks to their respective company's gateway service instead of through our webtexts. Volounteers from around the world will be neccesary though.

Thats where IRC will come into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sounds an awful lot like spamming to me. But good luck with the site anyway.

• Advertisement

What sounds like spamming?

Posting a thread to promote your own website, sounds like spamming to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

@Timmins: Do you have an automatic routine that sends all the irish texts thru voda or meteor accounts so that the o2 texts are not wasted on irish texts?

Jakkass - if this is "spamming", then you might say the same about AFT and Dorsh. The word you're looking for is "plugging".

Floodis, yeah only international webtexts are sent through the o2 accounts.

regardless theres a section on adverts.ie for services offered.

the difference is that this is completely on topic, and timmins isnt selling a service (the profit he makes from advertising is dismal)

Its spamming if its off topic, if he goes and advertises his Lego related blog or some bull**** like that, I fully agree, however what he posted can benefit anyone on the forum, which is the same with AFT.

With your logic we might aswell not even have a forum, because that new nokia phone or that new service that came out by meteor, yup its advertising/spamming. What difference is it if you talk about your own service, or if you talk about others?

Plus have a read on the service charter on adverts.ie
    3, Ads containing links to websites pertaining to your services are deemed commercial and will be removed.

So posting it there isnt an option, theres nothing like that here afaik

If he isn't selling a service, it won't be deemed commercial surely.
    Charter wrote:
    No blatant advertising/soliciting (unless you pay Boards Ltd. for it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't think there's any spamming going on, maybe promotion. But since it's a free service, it can only be good imo.

Pythia wrote:
    I don't think there's any spamming going on, maybe promotion. But since it's a free service, it can only be good imo.
    here here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

I get told that the message has been sent; but it doesn't arrive

Have all the available messages been used up for now?

• Advertisement

Well the international texts stopped there a couple of days ago, 8 simcards worth of messages (2000) were used in the first third of the month. Theres still plenty of irish messages available, and the international service will be restored at the start of July :)

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

dal wrote:
    You might be interested in smsdiscount. I use it myself. Its 1c per message to most popular destinations (uk and ireland included) and the message actually appears to the recipient as if it has come from your number. There is a desktop application for it and a web interface. AFT (the java app for your phone) supports smsdiscount (not yet the "from number" part, but should be ready soon).

Btw, brilliant work Timmins. Always great to see someone spreading the free love :)

Dal - smsdiscount sounds like it could solve a problem for me with club members but just a question is it safe/trustworthy regarding security ? ie are the numbers i send texts to likely to be sent spam texts?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

micks wrote:
    Dal - smsdiscount sounds like it could solve a problem for me with club members but just a question is it safe/trustworthy regarding security ? ie are the numbers i send texts to likely to be sent spam texts?

cheers
    All I can say is that I have been using it for a while without any problems. I don't believe that they will send spam, but check out the terms and conditions just in case.

wait so SMSdiscount aswell as VoipBuster doesnt support the from field?

I was under the impression that SMSdiscount worked (sorry for thread hijacking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

donutface wrote:
    wait so SMSdiscount aswell as VoipBuster doesnt support the from field?

I was under the impression that SMSdiscount worked (sorry for thread hijacking)
    SMSDiscount does support the from number field and it does work through AFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I know this is a bit further on down the line but you do know that after a year if no credit has been bought for the sim cards the accounts will be cancelled?

All he has to do is connect to GPRS on each SIM every 6 months to keep them active. Once it brings his credit down by even one cent. This means that his 22 Euro free credit will last a long time.

Since its a new month, international texts are now restored! Tell your friends!

Sweet, cheers. I noticed it was down earlier last month for a bit.

/edit: Actually, I just tried sending one there, and it still mentions how it's down but will be back up on the 1st of July!

/edit2: Now getting this error:
    Server timed out.PHP Warning: file_get_contents(http://computer.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx?s=o&u=<number>&p=<PW>&m=<message>%20-%20www.jakkass.com&d=<number>>) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error in C:\Web\Main\htdocs\send.php on line 100

Edited accordingly :)

• Advertisement

alls fixed and up and running - enjoy

Advertisement