Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Connection failed" on Three usb modem

• 30-05-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one getting "Connection failed" on the Three USB modem, even when the signal strength indicator is 5/5?

I click Connect, it tries and says "Connection failed"; in details it shows "Error 619".

After a number of persistent tries it finally connects, and seems to stay connected rather well.

If it was a coverage issue, it would lose connection once established. So it seems like a server issue, or possibly a modem issue (though a strange one). Luckily my 14 day return/exchange period is still on, so if it's the modem I can exchange it. But if many people are getting this, then it's the server...

So - anyone on the uSB modem - are you getting the same or does it work OK?

By the way, the problem only started yesterday, and got worse today. I had the modem for a week before that and it worked fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

I'm having the exact same problem and only yesterday and today! I also notice it changing from HSDPA to 3G sometimes even though I'm not moving the modem. I can't fugure out what is going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 odie007

Hi Michael,

I have the 3 modem since saturday and it wouldnt connect for 3 days, customer care kept telling me it will take 8hrs then 24hrs then 72 hrs to be identified on the network... in desperation i went back to the three site to download the drivers again and i saw this little piece of info...
    Note: If you are having problems connecting to the APN detailed in the help document, try using "3ireland.ie" as your APN.
    The instructions that came with the driver said use three.ie as the APN but no joy so used the 3ireland.ie APN and bingo everything worked fine..

As for dropping connection after a week that doesnt sound good, so far so good, I'm using a MAC by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Well, I am using 3ireland.ie as the APN to start with. Worked all right but now I get this.

Thanks to Rockson, I am nearly sure it's the access point failing (overloaded by well-going sales of this new plan?)

Anyone else on the USB modem having, or NOT having, the same problems please reply! And state your APN too if you know where to find it.

I will be calling their tech team tomorrow. (Called support today but they said tech team was not working at this late time - fair enough).

What part of the country are you in? i'm in waterford

MichaelR wrote:
    And state your APN too if you know where to find it.

How do I find my APN on a Windows XP desktop, do you know?

(Dublin)

• Advertisement

odie007: Limerick. Are you connecting OK? (If you just keep it alive 24h the problem won't surface. It only comes when it's disconnected and I press Connect)

Rockson: in the 3 HSDPA program, in the bottom menu, select Settings (2nd from right or press ALt+S). There click on Connection. An APN box will be there.

Cheers. Mine is 3ireland.ie!

The reason seems to be surfacing! I am online now via the modem (keeping it alive so as not to be hit by the problem). Tried pinging "3ireland.ie" - host not found!

Apparently the 3ireland.ie machine, or perhaps their DNS, is having serious problems. I will try writing to them.

If anyone gets connected OK, could you please do "ping 3ireland.ie" and if it succeeds, post the IP address of the host it pings? I'll try setting the APN to this IP address - might bypass the problem (not sure at all if it will work, but worth a try).

EDIT: www.3ireland.ie does not ping but does work. Yet at least an IP address does show up for www.3ireland.ie - not for 3ireland.ie . If anyone, in any network, can successfully look up 3ireland.ie please inform :)

I am connected and I'm getting the same message as you (Ping request could not find host 3ireland.ie)when trying ping 3ireland.ie. I can ping rte.ie fine though!

ipconfig/all gives

Default gateway 10.202.103.51
    DNS Servers 172.31.140.679 and 172.31.140.679
    Primary WINS Server 10.11.12.13
    Secondary WINS Server 10.11.12.14

I don't know if any of that helps. Maybe the default gateway?

Edit: 3ireland.ie = 213.190.129.170 according to samspade and the same with the www in front.

connection very strong getting an average 1mb down but only 56k up!!

• Advertisement

Rockson: thanks. But the IP/ping seems to be the wrong route - a lookup of isp.vodafone.ie (the APN for Vodafone) also fails.

odie007: do you or don't you have "Connection failed" situations when trying to connect, berore getting in finally? After I get in I have a good connection too. The slow upload is normal (it's in the network standard).

Rockson wrote:
    Edit: 3ireland.ie = 213.190.129.170 according to samspade and the same with the www in front.

Thanks!

Strangely, for me 3ireland.ie does not look up AND www.3ireland.ie is 217.64.228.109... but three.ie is the address you quote.

Well, actually, they're giving me the same IP for three.ie too so it seems to be the only one they have...

Am having the same problem with being cut off this morning by 3. Sometimes the signal says 3G but won't show any webpage when it does. I wonder is it picking up some other networks 3G signal when it can't find 3's HSDPA one and is then barred from using said 3G signal or something?

Anyway please let us know how you get on if you talk to 3 about the problem today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

odie007 wrote:
    Hi Michael,

I have the 3 modem since saturday and it wouldnt connect for 3 days, customer care kept telling me it will take 8hrs then 24hrs then 72 hrs to be identified on the network... in desperation i went back to the three site to download the drivers again and i saw this little piece of info...
    Note: If you are having problems connecting to the APN detailed in the help document, try using "3ireland.ie" as your APN.
    The instructions that came with the driver said use three.ie as the APN but no joy so used the 3ireland.ie APN and bingo everything worked fine..

As for dropping connection after a week that doesnt sound good, so far so good, I'm using a MAC by the way
    3 customer care gave you the wrong answer/fobbed you off. i won't believe it!!!!!!1111111eleven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I wont jump in and say i told you so just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

heh heh was wondering when you'd break!

I was having the same issue last night, but once i got connected it was fine. I'll check my apn setting tonight when I get home.

I have until sat morning to decide whether I bring it back or not...

For now I am avoiding the issue as much as possible by keeping connected.

I have also started the thing under Linux. It's just grand except that it does not auto-switch from HDSPA to 3G on inactivity. I wonder if this might put extra load on the network and bring 3's attention.

(If anyone wants to know how to run it under Linux,. email me: mr at ramendik.ru)

Advertisement