Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ITrip ripp off

Options
  • 30-05-2007 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey, i have an 06 golf and want to play my ipod directly through my car speakers as i am fed up paying over the top prices for poor quality iTrips that break easily, does anyone know of someone who can supply and fit a cable to my radio?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I bought a cheap (< 1euro) cigarette lighter powered fm transmitter on eBay from Hong Kong. Cost about 7 quid including shipping, and it's given me no problems in 2+ years.

At that price, even buying 2 or three in one go couldn't be expensive as the shipping would be the same.

However, as my current cars (VW and Saab) have a tape deck built in with the CD and radio, I use my old cassette adaptor (from the discman days) and it's grand.
    Not sure how you can fit a cable directly to the head unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

If you want to connect your ipod to your stereo it will need some kind of audio in connector, either phono, a mini jack or it might be possible to take the connector for a cd pchanger and attach a converter to it. If its the standrerd blaupunkt one for a golf i doubt it will have the first two of these. Some Clarion heads have a phono in, sony and maybe pioneer heads have a minijack. If you search online you might be able to find sites that sell some kind of converters for the disk changer connection. The fm transmitter mentioned in the previous post might be your best bet but i have heard bad things about these, the sound can be hissy etc. No first hand experiance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I fitted a Denisson IceLink FM to an Mk5 Golf last week, cost 120 quid from Halfords, and plugs into one of the two aeriel jacks in the back of the stereo (the white one) sound quality is much better than from an I trip, and the cradle is made from good quality plastic, and is small enough to be mounted just in between the cupholders and the gearknob. It also comes with different sized adaptors for Ipod mini, Nano etc.
    There is a more expensive IceLink available that uses the CD changer connection, but I have no experience of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Youch, that's a chunk of change!
    If it's an after market headunit, check if it has an aux in, that's the simplest option, and get a 3.5mm jack - 2xRCA lead, and Robert's your mother's brother.
    Oh, and a tip about playing MP3s. If you have decent component speakers i nthe car, and especially if you have a sub at all, you might want to consider reripping the MP3s at a high bit rate, at least 192kb/s. There simply isn't enough data in the file at 128 to push out decent sound through high quality speakers. It's the same reason DJs in clubs don't, or at least, shouldn't use MP3's @ 128kb/s.
    I've reripped my music collection for the car, and it makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a Mk5 VW Golf so I doubt it's an aftermarket stereo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement