Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax renewal

Options
  • 31-05-2007 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Guys i got a car in april and the tax expired today. I still havent got the pin for renewing it online.Whats the best option should i wait for the tax office to send me a letter or not.
    How many days lapse period is normally given?

Does anyone have any experience in this matter as i dont know should i get it taxed (Dont have the money yet :) ) Or wait until they send me a letter and pay straight away

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

why don't you ring them or use google?

the amount of things you ask on boards that would be solved with one minute on google must constitute half your post count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

quarryman wrote:
    why don't you ring them or use google?

the amount of things you ask on boards that would be solved with one minute on google must constitute half your post count.

Like what else did i ask? What is boards.ie for :rolleyes:

Half of google is crap,Thats why i asked if someone had the same experience, so they can give me the truth

Thanks for your comment, Has anyone got a more definite comment regarding this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Did you get the green renewal form or any sort of paperwork asking you to renew the tax?

If the tax expires at the end of May you have up until the end of June to tax it though if you tax it for 3 months at that stage it will be up again the end of August as you pay for June as well.

There was a thread like this a day or two ago and some people said you could ring them up and they would send you a pin to renew online though I was under the impression that when you first buy a car you have to go to the tax office to pay for your tax the first time and only after that do you get a renewal pin. At least that is what happened to me when I bought my last two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you're not waiting for the licensing cert, then just fill out this form and send it in to your local motor tax office. I used the pin this year, but had to use the form last year as the car wasn't in my name by the time the pin was sent out. Both methods took no more than 3 days to get my disc sent out.
    drdre wrote:
    Half of google is crap,Thats why i asked if someone had the same experience, so they can give me the truth

Seriously - "pay motor tax" on google gave www.motortax.ie as the first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I was under the impression that when you bought a car, the first time you renewed the tax you couldn't do it online (and they don't send you a pin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, when you buy a car, you can't tax it online.
    Bring your vehicle ownership documentation into the tax office, and go to the enquiries desk. They'll fill in the form for you. Bring filled in form to one of the tax windows, and you'll get your disc.

I've heard you need your insurance cert too, but I was not asked for it while I was there. Bring it anyway, just in case.

BTW, they'll ask you how long have you been driving it, and may charge you arrears if you've been driving outside of the taxed period....

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I have seen it done both ways.
    If you have the car registration back in your name, you can ring them up and they can send out a Pin, did it with my current car.
    Then again, my girlfriend tried it and they said she had to go into car tax office to do it.
    It seems to depend who you get on the phone as far as I can see..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok i was a bit harsh above.

i find www.citizensinformation.ie pretty handy.

here's the motor tax section, their number is down the bottom of the page.

quarryman wrote:
    ok i was a bit harsh above.

You weren't really, like I said - first hit on google did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

afaik if you but a brand new car you can tax it online first time by using the last 6 of the chassis as the pin i am not sure if its the same as the imports when you buy a second hand car you have to wait untill the car has been changed into your name and then either request a pin or go into the tax office to tax the car

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hey Dre check This Thread out.
    I think there is some delay in posting the notices out

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Hey Dre check This Thread out.
    I think there is some delay in posting the notices out

Mik

Thanks i will check that out.
    Guys thanks for the help.I think i will just wait until max end of the month

TmB wrote:
    Yep, when you buy a car, you can't tax it online.
    Bring your vehicle ownership documentation into the tax office, and go to the enquiries desk. They'll fill in the form for you. Bring filled in form to one of the tax windows, and you'll get your disc.

I've heard you need your insurance cert too, but I was not asked for it while I was there. Bring it anyway, just in case.

BTW, they'll ask you how long have you been driving it, and may charge you arrears if you've been driving outside of the taxed period....

I might just have to do that, But i dont want to be waiting ages as theres huge queues in nutgrove office :(

drdre wrote:
    I might just have to do that, But i dont want to be waiting ages as theres huge queues in nutgrove office :(

You don't have to go in yourself - just fill out the form I linked to earlier, and send it in to your local tax office. I've even found a link for them too.

eoin_s wrote:
    You don't have to go in yourself - just fill out the form I linked to earlier, and send it in to your local tax office. I've even found a link for them too.

Thanks alot.I will take that option its easier

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Dre,

You bought this car in April right?
    Second hand I presume?
    So it should be in your name by now and the renewal notice should have come to you. I suggest ringing the tax office on 1890411412 to make sure the car is your name and ask them to re-send the renewal notice

My .02

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

drdre wrote:
    Thanks alot.I will take that option its easier

Just make sure to take a copy of the filled out form and keep that in the car. Applications posted in to the Dublin tax office are currently taking 3-4 weeks to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Haven't read the thread, but here's the suss...

Shannon issue the renewals with the internet password, which changes with each renewal, unfortunately (I think that this is in case the car is sold). You can ring Shannon, but you'll be wasting your time, as their telephone option for dealing with it (all other business) just cuts you off.

You can ring the tax office, and they'll send you out a standard renewal form, which you fill in and send to them with a cheque/draft/postal order.

Or you can go to your tax office and pay at the desk.

You have until the fifth of the second month to renew without having to pay arrears (if it ran out 30.04.07, you have until 05.06.07) However, you are liable to get ticketed for no tax.

Hope this helps. Went through it all last month myself.

Advertisement