Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home / Hand / Reloading

Options
  • 31-05-2007 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Whichever you like to call it, any word on it as yet? A few fellas around here are positively itching to get into it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

johngalway wrote:
    Whichever you like to call it, any word on it as yet? A few fellas around here are positively itching to get into it :)

Add another to that list. I have a .223 and might be getting .308 in the near future. Wanted .338 but that's just insanity altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Why?20mm,and upwards,now THATS insanity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Why?20mm,and upwards,now THATS insanity:D

I don't know i suppose, I'd love to get the TRG 42 in .338 Lapua Magnum but the rifle is quite expensive (over 1000 euro difference compared to the .308) the ammo is crazy money (re-loading would reduce this cost) and the rifles themselves are like hens teeth or so the guys in Ardee sports told me.

I suppose if I was set on the .338 I could go for the AI AWM instead, I think they come in around the same money.

Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its not exactly illegal at the moment is it once your super says its ok theres no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's kindof a gray area psitta. How do you plan to import the primers, which are for some reason classed as explosives, for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yeah i guess but if you get the ok from the super you shouldnt run into much more trouble than i know theres a few people around the place reloading.

Reloading,or RE building ammo?It is legal to rip apart stock loads and customise them to your gun or personal taste. The fly is as Sparks pointed out getting powder and primers for reloading.That still fall under the explosive acts,and another days work to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Getting back on topic. I'm asking about making your own ammunition. Not modifying anything. But having the equiptment like dies, powder scales, case trimmers etc and being able to legally buy the primers, powders, cases and bullet heads so I could make up my own loads for reasons of accuracy, barrel wear and cost.

Is it realistic to expect this to be brought in and made legal? I know there was talk but there's talk of Santy around Christmas too. I had heard it was meant to be in last year, then this year... What's the latest does anyone know for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

It's one of the amendments to the CJB which hasn't been commenced ....yet !
    Mr Mc' Dowell still has a few final brush strokes he needs to add to that canvas.

It would be rather a pity , if after all the consultation and debate he left the position as Minister for Justice with the job 99% done. The reform of the CJB was his "Major Opus" after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

A lot of people here in the states work long and hard to find just the right load for a specific rifle.
    In my case (arthritic hands) lighter than factory loads make shooting a lot more comfortable.

• Advertisement

shc1 wrote:
    A lot of people here in the states work long and hard to find just the right load for a specific rifle.
    In my case (arthritic hands) lighter than factory loads make shooting a lot more comfortable.

Not only that , but the improvements to accuracy and group size can be a dramatic improvement , once you have found that magic combination that your rifle likes.

Then theres the savings ...etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

The problem is that the laws here regarding explosives have been built up over the troubled years, to stop people having easy access to explosive compounds.

I worked for awhile in IIE in the labs there. I had to know some of the laws regarding safe use of chemicals of explosive nature and what had to be done to comply with the laws here. As it stands the laws only deal with production under licence and transport under armed gard.

Now its going to be a minefield:p to try to seperate out the law regarding reloading. Its not as easy as getting a licence to reload as Any amount of explosive been held in an area underlicence will fall under the explosives laws and require a magazine. These magazines consist of concrete walls and earth banks metres high around the magazine to protect from explosions.

To add to all this how do the law makers work around the offences against the state laws? Alot of these were inacted during the troubles to deal with home made explosives and having explosive compounds or mixtures.

So alot of the laws inacted to stop personal use of explosives and to regulate industrial use and manufacture will fall into and over lap any laws made for use to be able to reload. As you all know our law makers are a shining example of effective law making of water tight laws:rolleyes: So its going to take alot complex work to get right.

chem wrote:
    The problem is that the laws here regarding explosives have been built up over the troubled years, to stop people having easy access to explosive compounds.

The irony of that argument is it was always used as a stick to beat Irish shooters with , legal shooting ,reloading and handguns continued all the while in the 6 counties.

The security forces in that part of the country obviously concluded that legally held firearms and law abiding sportsmen .etc weren't the problem.

Apart from which smokeless powder is a propellant ..not an explosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

The security forces in that part of the country obviously concluded that legally held firearms and law abiding sportsmen .etc weren't the problem.

yes they thought the only problem was in the Republic.

i think alot of the laws were brought in just to make things very easy for the Gardai,banning handguns,fullbore rifles and reloading didn't really effect things did it?just like the propose new licence system,more money for less work,helps no one but the gardai again
    Bryan

Yeah,Thanks a BUNCH Dessie O Malley.:mad:

OTOH things have moved on as well.Black powder which is an explosive,can by replaced by Pyrodex which is classified under EU laws as a propellant.Ditto nitro powder is a propellant.
    On the storage side of things,it would be need to be demonstrated to the powers that be by any competant fire marshal that there are potentially more "explosive" things in the normal household than a one kg can of pistol poder.Some of their suggestions on storage border on making a bomb.Like storing it in a locked metal cabinet!.Can we say "static electrical buildup"?
    The cans are designed to "cook off" if fire gets to them,not explode ,as they would in a encased metal box.
    This isnt a Irish problem either.it is a tough one on the Continent as well.My cousin does reloading in Germany,and had to do a liscensed reloaders course,has said it is almost impossible for a normal person living in an apartment block or the like to get a storage permit.He was lucky in the fact his house has an old air raid shelter in it,with steel doors and all still in it.
    Could see,a simple solution to the situation.You are limited to say 5kgs of powder of each gun you reload for,shotgun,rifle,pistol. Amount sold is logged in the dealer ammo book,along with how many primers for the firearms type .You must return the empty can for a new one.So logo you must have converted that powder to shells,otherwise whwer is it?
    Not the best solution I know,but compared to the choice of building a bunker?

Apart from which smokeless powder is a propellant ..not an explosive

Smokeless powder is a Propellant but if confined it is an explosive. 1Kg if confined correctly is enough to destroy your common car. It was also used as a "booster" for some improvised explosives. With the way things have been moving with gangland warlords in Dublin and other major cities lately, its not surprising that there might be some in power who are abit nervous about giving the go ahead for reloading.

The Irish way of dealing with anything that might be used against them is to ban them. Its always been the same. Like it or not the country is completly under staffed with Garda and because of this it is easier to ban fireworks, pistols and high power rifles. Even if this action only affects licenced owners.

The main reason fireworks are banned is because the hospitals could not deal with accidents caused by them over Halloween. So insteat of treating people as grown ups that might be able to use them safely, just ban them incase someone has an accident.

1Kg if confined correctly is enough to destroy your common car. It was also used as a "booster" for some improvised explosives

Better ban the common match as well.That is the most common explosive and easily available.

With the way things have been moving with gangland warlords in Dublin and other major cities lately, its not surprising that there might be some in power who are abit nervous about giving the go ahead for reloading.
    Same old cheese.:mad: Couldnt they just say,ah well ammo ligitimately sourced could be used by criminals???
    The Irish way of dealing with anything that might be used against them is to ban them. Its always been the same. Like it or not the country is completly under staffed with Garda and because of this it is easier to ban fireworks, pistols and high power rifles. Even if this action only affects licenced owner
    s.
    Yet it never works,and never stopped anyone aquiring an illegal firearm,etc if they wanted one.Think they would cop on to this idea finally:(
    The main reason fireworks are banned is because the hospitals could not deal with accidents caused by them over Halloween. So insteat of treating people as grown ups that might be able to use them safely, just ban them incase someone has an accident.

And make them 1000% more desireable,more worth smuggling,and triple the price of the cruddiest made ones.With a lucrative smuggling industry from a freely available source in NI,and sold by morons to morons,it is not surprising that we have kids with blown off fingers etc in the hospitals.
    Instead of;permitting their sale for a limited time per year.IE 3 days before Halloween and News Years Eve,by liscensed sellers,and prohibit the sale to anyone under 18. You would wipe out the illegality ,and the black market,and reduce the threat of blackpowder being used for bombs ala Sammy Copeland the nail bomber in the UK.
    BUT THAT would be like thinking!!:( :mad:

Better ban the common match as well.That is the most common explosive and easily available.
    True CG the match heads are potassium chlorate same chemical used to sensitise Tannerite. I have hard of them been used in prisons in the US to make improvised bombs!

It all comes down to where theres a will theres a way (or relative):D

As you know governments love the quick fix for the short term as it means they can make new laws in the future for what they could have done right 1st time, with some taught put into it. Not by just a pen stroke to make it look like they are realy doing something to address the problem.
    Same old cheese. Couldnt they just say,ah well ammo ligitimately sourced could be used by criminals???

All they see is that they are just making it easier to get hold of a Kg or two of powder for the criminals. Now they dont have to hacksaw open afew rounds:eek: or use a hammer to smash open a hilti round:o
    Yet it never works,and never stopped anyone aquiring an illegal firearm,etc if they wanted one.Think they would cop on to this idea finally

The Garda know this in there harts im sure along with the government. But to tackle it they would have to spend money and time + alot of man hours. Again its just easier to sign you name to a peace of paper to show you are doing something. How many tons of semtex did the IRA import and how many guns n ammo:confused: and yet we the licence holders got the poo end of the stick:mad:
    And make them 1000% more desireable,more worth smuggling,and triple the price of the cruddiest made ones.With a lucrative smuggling industry from a freely available source in NI,and sold by morons to morons,it is not surprising that we have kids with blown off fingers etc in the hospitals.
    Instead of;permitting their sale for a limited time per year.IE 3 days before Halloween and News Years Eve,by liscensed sellers,and prohibit the sale to anyone under 18. You would wipe out the illegality ,and the black market,and reduce the threat of blackpowder being used for bombs ala Sammy Copeland the nail bomber in the UK.
    BUT THAT would be like thinking!!

never a truer word spoken CG. But as long as we act like kids the government will treat us like kids. We all go with the flow here and dont ask questions of the government (much) how many times have they treated us with the Daddy knows best approch and gotten away with it? It was great to see that we might have made some difference when we stood together against the licence increase. Problem is its always when you hit an Irishmans pocket that you get his back up.

"noone in Ireland will ever be happy until they are richer then everyone else"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

What if gun clubs could apply for a reloading permit and have facilities
    where gun owners could visit and use the equipment after going on a
    course or something.

That way the Fuzz wont be worried about people storing
    the powder at home.

~B

Anyone who can legally own ammunition is already storing powder and primers in a more potentially dangerous form... i.e factory assembled ammunition.

A case, primed , full of powder fully contained with a projectile on top.

And someone thinks that separating the components Increases the risk ..:rolleyes: ... silly

• Advertisement

bullets wrote:
    What if gun clubs could apply for a reloading permit and have facilities
    where gun owners could visit and use the equipment after going on a
    course or something.

That way the Fuzz wont be worried about people storing
    the powder at home.

~B

Centralising vs individual storage. Is it better in asecurity situation to have everything in one place or small amounts all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Bullets,

Reloading requires 150% consentration by the reloader while measuring the various components

Powder grains
    Neck sizing
    Head spacing
    seating depths

I don't think a loud clubhouse envoirnment would be in any way suitable to this type of task. Don't get it right and you could have pressure spikes with horrible consequences.:eek:

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What Hezz said :) Besides the fact that "clubbing" reloading is biased against hunters who for the most part (I believe) wouldn't bother with target shooting outside of practice and zeroing.

I don't see why this should be a complicated situation here. After all across in Britain they can reload, and to the best of my knowledge also in Northern Ireland.

Backwards Ireland as ever.

Advertisement