Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E61i must have apps

• 31-05-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭

this puppy coming to me next week, what stuff do i need and considering i have a 250mb data allowance what can i reasonably use? Is skype out of the question?

i am already aware of the gmail app and widsets, what other must haves are there? anything that takes advantage of the large screen? surely watching movies is pretty doable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I use podcasting, Fring , Calcium (a neat calculator) and Smart2go (mapping app from Nokia)

where did you get a 250mb data allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Fring (VOIP & IM)
    Nokia Podcasting
    Nokia Maps (www.smart2go.com)

All Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Fring, Podcasting, QIP (ICQ chat client), Agile Messenger, AFT ;) , Nokia Internet Radio, Spodtronic, SMSChat, Screenshot, Google Maps, iSkoot and SYMSmb are all loaded on my E61i at the moment and Blackberry Connect of course.

Watching Movies isnt that great on the E61, don't think E61i will be much of an improvement.
    You will find that all movie playing options are poor:
    Realplayer (bundled) - not many controls i.e. can't ffwd, also only plays 3gp files.
    Divx (from stage6.divx.com) - looks good put couldn't play anything besides its own demo files.
    PVPlayer - does do ffwd, but frooze on me when I tried it with large movies that Realplayer would play.

I also tried youtube on the e61 but was very poor video even using Wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

WezzyB wrote:
    Watching Movies isnt that great on the E61, don't think E61i will be much of an improvement.
    You will find that all movie playing options are poor:
    Realplayer (bundled) - not many controls i.e. can't ffwd, also only plays 3gp files.
    Divx (from stage6.divx.com) - looks good put couldn't play anything besides its own demo files.
    PVPlayer - does do ffwd, but frooze on me when I tried it with large movies that Realplayer would play.

I also tried youtube on the e61 but was very poor video even using Wifi.

thats disappointing re movies!

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote:
    I use podcasting, Fring , Calcium (a neat calculator) and Smart2go (mapping app from Nokia)

where did you get a 250mb data allowance?

3!

oh and whats aft lads

AFT is a free java download that allows people to use there internet connections on their phones to send texts through the operators Web text facilities. This will work only on o2, vf, meteor, not on three as they don't have web text.
    Its a great tool!

ah, sounds handy alright :)

whisht wrote:
    Fring, Podcasting, QIP (ICQ chat client), Agile Messenger, AFT ;) , Nokia Internet Radio, Spodtronic, SMSChat, Screenshot, Google Maps, iSkoot and SYMSmb are all loaded on my E61i at the moment and Blackberry Connect of course.

does internet radio use much data (assume it does) can u get irish stations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

Cyrus wrote:
    does internet radio use much data (assume it does) can u get irish stations?

Actually it's very easy to work out. It depends what quality stream you're using and remember there's a difference between Kb and KB. i.e 1KB=8Kb

So if you're streaming radion at 32Kbps, that's 4KB per second which is 14MB per hour.

If you're streaming at 112Kbps, that's 14KB per second which is about 49MB per hour if I've done my sums right! (1MB=1024KB)

Pretty expensive if it's on your mobile at 2c/KB! Actually, at 112Kbps, it's about €1008 per hour just to listen to Gerry Ryan talking sh1te! :eek:

Here's the link explaining how to listen to rte radio online.

Edit: make that €1008 per hour at a streaming rate of 112Kbps and a charge of 2c/KB. Still a crazy amount!

Rockson wrote:
    Actually it's very easy to work out. It depends what quality stream you're using and remember there's a difference between Kb and KB. i.e 1KB=8Kb

So if you're streaming radion at 32Kbps, that's 4KB per second which is 14MB per hour.

If you're streaming at 112Kbps, that's 14KB per second which is about 49MB per hour if I've done my sums right! (1MB=1024KB)

Pretty expensive if it's on your mobile at 2c/KB! Actually, at 112Kbps, it's about €8064 per hour just to listen to Gerry Ryan talking sh1te! :eek:

Here's the link explaining how to listen to rte radio online.

podcasting it is then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Playing videos on my e61i is fine. I use PocketDivxEncoder to convert the movie files and then Smart Movie to watch it on the phone. The quality is actually quite impressive but the files are fairly large. For example to convert a 180mb south park episode into a decent quality for the phone its ends up at around 50mb. I could decrease the file size more but I dont want to decrease the quality as well. I think I got most of my info here

I also use eqo mobile for im but its fairly slow to get it up and running.

Does anyone know if its possible to get working skype on the e61i? I already have an account with skype and theres money in it so it would be handy for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've got Nokia Podcasting, Opera Mini (use it to complement the built in web browser), Fring, Gmail (the application) and a few others. I only download podcasts over wifi, though, as they tend to be quite big and would probably cost a small fortune (or two) to download otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've got Nokia Podcasting, Opera Mini (use it to complement the built in web browser), Fring, Gmail (the application) and a few others. I only download podcasts over wifi, though, as they tend to be quite big and would probably cost a small fortune (or two) to download otherwise.

Is Opera mini any good?
    I've had problems with the built in browser where it simply just closes while trying to load a webpage, particularly boards. I've read about other people having the same problem and I think its something to do with the memory not be ing able to handle large webpages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Couldn't recommend opera mini enough,it squashes pages to fit the phone through opera's own server.read all about it on www.opera.com but to download it point your phone browser to mini.opera.com.

Does anyone know if its possible to get working skype on the e61i? I already have an account with skype and theres money in it so it would be handy for that.

Fring gives you access to Skype, as well as SIP (VOIP) providers.

Advertisement