Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those 2142 players

Options
  • 31-05-2007 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I know a lot of people here have only got into gaming recently and have bought battlefield 2142 and CNC3. Most people haven't been around to play the predocesors. Battleifeld 2 and CNC generals are better than 2142 and CNC3. Why you ask? well, for 2142, the guns are too powerful and accurate at the same time, just look at the support gun. Glitches everywhere. The titan maps are too big and its hard to get points. for CNC3, its way tooooooooo slow. Generals and zero hour are about fast paced gameplay, techinque, and reflexes. CNC3 is about building defenses and graphics.

I'd just thought I'd tell you new guys, GO BACK TO BF2 AND GENERALS PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

thanks for the warning. god forbid the noobs don't go into bf2 or generals, because, you know, they didn't sell well at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Why you ask? well, for 2142, the guns are too powerful and accurate at the same time, just look at the support gun. Glitches everywhere.

Mmmh... you haven't played the BF2 Assault mod yet, have you? ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Battleifeld 2 and CNC generals are better than 2142 and CNC3. Why you ask? well, for 2142, the guns are too powerful and accurate at the same time, just look at the support gun. Glitches everywhere. The titan maps are too big and its hard to get points.

hmmm, If they are your only gripes then thats a pretty flimsy argument.

Guns too powerful and accurate ? Then I would suggest that you spend more time avoiding getting hit in the first place. If you stand where you will be hit, or if you react too slowly when someone starts opening up on you then suprisingly enough you will take damage and die. Shift your focus from flat out firefights to a more tactical / sneaky approach to combat.

As for titan being too hard to get points in.... emmm, I , and many others from what I hear, seem to get over double the points we would get in conquest or assault lines. Follow orders (if you are squad leader and your commander doesnt give orders , then give them yourself - and request orders from the commander who should really be co-ordinating the squads anyway), you get points for working toward objectives and for achieving them. Act as a squad, you get points for assisting your squad members. These points are on top of the basic points for kills / kill assists / heals / revives / resupply / repair. These are relevant for all modes of play. On top of these in TITAN , you get bonus points for defending your titan or assulting the enemy titan, poitns for destroying strategic objectives, points for repairing gun consoles.

Maybe the game doesnt suit your style of play or you are just playing it wrong ? Maybe you have another reason why BF2 is better ?
    for CNC3, its way tooooooooo slow. Generals and zero hour are about fast paced gameplay, techinque, and reflexes. CNC3 is about building defenses and graphics.

I'd just thought I'd tell you new guys, GO BACK TO BF2 AND GENERALS PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!

Fast paced gameplay , technique and reflexes ? sounds more like a top down version of quake or tribes to me. Slow build up and defense planning sounds like a strategy game. last I heard CNC was a strategy game ? I also believe that all of your above arguments were applied to BF2 v BF:V (graphics and weapon balance) and CNC: generals v CNC (graphics and gamespeed).

personally I havent played CNC3 so I cant recommend one over the other. I do however prefer BF2142 to BF 2 . It suits my playing style better and I love things set in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I agree with you OP Generals is great had hundreds of hours of play time out of that have played C&C 3 but not much as im stuck into stalker at the moment!

As for bf2 kinda getting bored of it now I feel everyone is going to move to ETQW.. hope not thogh

2142 I dont like at all played the demo and it was horrible :(

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

ET:QW is where it will be at, theres no doubting that. BF2 is all but dead, and 2142, imo, never ever started. Again I am looking at this from a clan view, which is important as it will be the clans hosting the servers etc.

• Advertisement

ET:QW is where it will be at, theres no doubting that. BF2 is all but dead, and 2142, imo, never ever started. Again I am looking at this from a clan view, which is important as it will be the clans hosting the servers etc.

Definitely agree that ET:QW is the "future of competitive FPS" though it really does depend on the playability of it. Some games can look fantastic on paper and be shiney as you like but the game jsut doesnt "feel" right when you play it. Yes, there will definitely be an initial surge to ET:QW (how could there not be!) but the game itself will decide whether players stay or trickle back to BF2/2142. Personally I will continue 2142 but fully intend getitng in at the start of ET:qw - shiney new pc goodness will be ready in time for release.

BF2 being all but dead ? Is this only from a clan point of view ? My brother has recently picked up BF2 (after years of convincing!) and is having a ball. though he prefers inf only / knife servers - something I shall endeavour to rectify.

2142 : there are a lot of 2142 clans out there and EA are pushing a ladder league though I dont kow what the pick up on this has been. Dont know about it never ever getting started but certainly hasnt been as big a splash as BF2. then again, BF2 had less competition when it came out with regards online playability , clan match suitability and overall shininess. the rampant success of BF2 forced competitors to up their game and make equal (some would argue better.. but they are blasphemous pagans so they dont count) experiences for their own titles. 2142 isnt enough of a leap from BF 2 to be counted as a new contender in its own right. That said, and before I get a roar of "heretiiiiiiic" , I do prefer 2142 and have no problems finding servers other than the EA public servers to play on.

DeafVision wrote:

As for bf2 kinda getting bored of it now I feel everyone is going to move to ETQW.. hope not thogh

Its almost guaranteed that this will happen. a new dollop of quake shininess! How could any gamer resist :D
    DeafVision wrote:
    2142 I dont like at all played the demo and it was horrible :(

Never played the Demo, went straight into the full game and took awhile to get used to the differences. I have hard that a lot of people were completely turned off by the demo though - something EA should take quite seriously imho - but those that decided to "give it a go" anyway mostly seem to change their opinions. I wonder if EA would do well to allow the Demo to play online with the full games but have restricted rank and unlock levels - a strict behaviour control would be required though to stop muppets teamkilling left right and centre because they arent wasting any money by doing so, just everyone else's. The demo could also be considered a second class citizen when it comes to preference for places on servers - ie: full games get a spot at the expense of a demo player if they try to join a server that would otherwise have space - a bit like the subscription places already in the game (though I have yet to be kicked in favour of a subbed player)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭kiwi84000

Really not sure about where you are getting you information about CnC3 from. How about you pop over to the CNC3 forums and have a look at the replays of our tournament. Are you telling me that we are too slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I played bf2 ages ago and while a great game, i really like 2142 and infact prefer it.

As for etqw, i saw an ingame footge clip, there a while ago and really didntle the lok of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

LoLth wrote:

Guns too powerful and accurate ? Then I would suggest that you spend more time avoiding getting hit in the first place. If you stand where you will be hit, or if you react too slowly when someone starts opening up on you then suprisingly enough you will take damage and die. Shift your focus from flat out firefights to a more tactical / sneaky approach to combat.

As for titan being too hard to get points in.... emmm, I , and many others from what I hear, seem to get over double the points we would get in conquest or assault lines. Follow orders (if you are squad leader and your commander doesnt give orders , then give them yourself - and request orders from the commander who should really be co-ordinating the squads anyway), you get points for working toward objectives and for achieving them. Act as a squad, you get points for assisting your squad members. These points are on top of the basic points for kills / kill assists / heals / revives / resupply / repair. These are relevant for all modes of play. On top of these in TITAN , you get bonus points for defending your titan or assulting the enemy titan, poitns for destroying strategic objectives, points for repairing gun consoles.

Maybe the game doesnt suit your style of play or you are just playing it wrong ? Maybe you have another reason why BF2 is better ?

Fast paced gameplay , technique and reflexes ? sounds more like a top down version of quake or tribes to me. Slow build up and defense planning sounds like a strategy game. last I heard CNC was a strategy game ? I also believe that all of your above arguments were applied to BF2 v BF:V (graphics and weapon balance) and CNC: generals v CNC (graphics and gamespeed).

personally I havent played CNC3 so I cant recommend one over the other. I do however prefer BF2142 to BF 2 . It suits my playing style better and I love things set in the future.

i agree with him.
    2142 is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Titan mode less points??? Always finish with 30-40 more points on a titan round than an assault lines or conquest.

2142 never started?? for some maybe because they got on the EA are crap(they are but 2142 is hella of a game) bandwagon and judged before playing it or with little play.

BF2 i liked but i never got into lie i did with 2142.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Baiscally I like my realism lol.. Hence prefering bf2 over ETQW and 2142...

Will defo get ET thought!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Maybe for you personally they are dead but i assure you that is not the case.
    Is still play them the odd time and they are both far from dead from what i see.
    Hundreds upon hundreds of full servers and thats just UK ones im filtering.
    I keep an eye on the modding scene for BF2 on the main forums like total bf2 etc and as always these forums are chocablock.
    I do hope that ET:QW delivers on its promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

ET is pretty much the only pc game im looking forward to this year. Ive actually not bought ONE game for my pc so far in 07.
    I gave up BF2 last year, it was a good game, but it was bogged down with stupid crap like in accuracy of the guns, i dont like ranking systems, and more complaints i cant remember. I uninstalled it and never looked back really.
    To be honest the whole clan thing started getting to me too, alot of bitching, whining, and the amount of time wasted playing video game sonline that couldve been spent outdoors or with family or doing something worthwhile started to get to me.
    Now i only play day of defeat source from time to time, a little bit of CS:S, and when ET:QW comes out, ill give it a damn good hammering. But for me the battlefield series ended with the death of BFV, i never enjoyed the series as much as i did back in 'nam.
    2142 is the red headed stepchild of the BF series, never touched it, never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭X-Ecuti0ner

LoLth wrote:

I'm giving this argument as an experienced player. I'm good at both 2142 and bf2. I'm not complaining that i get killed alot but thats its too easy and unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm giving this argument as an experienced player. I'm good at both 2142 and bf2. I'm not complaining that i get killed alot but thats its too easy and unrealistic

Surely if its "too easy", then its too easy for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Christ sake, Im sick to death of the 2142 bashing, if ya dont like it fair enough, but for the love of god KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

Stop making uselss threads about "oh I dont like it cuz..." We do not need to be reading pointless threads of why such and such doesnt like it and BF2 is superior, **** sake if they thought BF2 was better they'd continue to play it and maybe some do!

People will play what the like and fair play to them all and now amount of bashing threads are gonna change their mind so for the love of god STOP IT!

christ sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I know a lot of people here have only got into gaming recently and have bought battlefield 2142 and CNC3. Most people haven't been around to play the predocesors. Battleifeld 2 and CNC generals are better than 2142 and CNC3. Why you ask? well, for 2142, the guns are too powerful and accurate at the same time, just look at the support gun. Glitches everywhere. The titan maps are too big and its hard to get points. for CNC3, its way tooooooooo slow. Generals and zero hour are about fast paced gameplay, techinque, and reflexes. CNC3 is about building defenses and graphics.

Cant get points in a titan map. LOL. You obviously have no idea how to play the game man. Me and vialli often play 2142 and especially titan maps. We always get 100 points or more before we get badges or medals. And whats wrong with the weapons being powerfull and accurate? it means you actually kill what you shoot at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

The game is no more buggy thanBF2 was imo but I enjoyed BF2 none the less, 2142 came out and I enjoyed it more, end of story, people move on from game to game, I honestly dont understand why bashing the game is gonna help, if ya dont like it just dont play it, simple as that.

The relentless bashing form *some* members of this fourm (not looking at anyone in particular HairyFairy) is getting tiring and quite frankly childish, it is quite easy to say away from the Replay button y'know, you arent under any obligation to bash in every 2142 thread, so give it a rest, we know ya dont like it, ya dont need to continually berate us with stupid comments time after time after time.

Move on, try something new, let yer hair grow, put dredlocks in it, do something crazy but for the love of god get out of that same rut of bitching that yer in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

2142 4tw!

And like others have said, LOL @ not getting points in Titan, it's a points fest! It's too EASY to get them in Titan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im just waiting for hairyfaiy to come back with:

ZOMG YOU PLAY 2142 JOO MUCT BE A FEAG !!!!!one!11eleventyone!1!!

?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

0ubliette wrote:
    ET is pretty much the only pc game im looking forward to this year. Ive actually not bought ONE game for my pc so far in 07.
    I gave up BF2 last year, it was a good game, but it was bogged down with stupid crap like in accuracy of the guns, i dont like ranking systems, and more complaints i cant remember. I uninstalled it and never looked back really.
    To be honest the whole clan thing started getting to me too, alot of bitching, whining, and the amount of time wasted playing video game sonline that couldve been spent outdoors or with family or doing something worthwhile started to get to me.
    Now i only play day of defeat source from time to time, a little bit of CS:S, and when ET:QW comes out, ill give it a damn good hammering. But for me the battlefield series ended with the death of BFV, i never enjoyed the series as much as i did back in 'nam.
    2142 is the red headed stepchild of the BF series, never touched it, never will.

Cant say there is a single point there I don't agree with. Nothing has ever come close to my heart stopping as I hear "War" over the sound of tank tracks while sneaking over a jungle.

Bf2 is pointless, I went back to it around 3 weeks ago. I got kicked for laying claymores(took out a entire squad), for sniping(8-1 kd) and for daring to take a plane. I then uninstalled. Went to 2142, and remembered the OP of the unlocks and left.

Lets do a retro gaming night. We'll throw up a BF42 server for a few hours followed by a BFV server? We have them installed on our box, just a matter of firing them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lets do a retro gaming night. We'll throw up a BF42 server for a few hours followed by a BFV server? We have them installed on our box, just a matter of firing them up.

Ohh am up for some BFV baby

Advertisement