Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another New Starter!!!

Options
  • 31-05-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Seriously thinking of taking up cycling and finding it very hard to get consistant advice from local shops. I have a budget of about €2000 but this includes all the gear including clothes etc etc. This leaves about 1500 or so for the bike itself (i think!!) I was looking at a Giant TCR 1 for about 1300 which seems like a good bike and manufacturer reading the reviews on the web. Some of the local cycling shops saying i should be spending more but i would prefer to upgrade at a later stage if needed. I think this bike has a full Shimano spec for gears and brakes etc

The biggest confusion for me and the main contradiction between the local shops was the gearing system. Should i go for a 2 or 3 sprocket gearing system (i.e. at pedals) I was told that the 3-sprocket gearing system was only for very mountainous terrain as it had lower gear ratios - but maybe i should be looking for this as i am new to cycling???!!! I intend to start out with 10-20km runs to get used to the bike then push this up to 50-60km - i dont intend at the moment going beyond this or racing competitively but maybe joining a local touring cycle club. I would be reasonably fit previously doing a lot of running but I believe cycling is another level altogether!!!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Any shop that tells you you need to spend more than €1,300 on your first bike is taking the mick and maybe looking for a big sale.

The TCR 1 is more than enough for someone starting out. Indeed most people end up getting something a step or two down from that.

As for the gearing, if you're pretty fit and not planning on going to the Alps straightaway, you probably won't need a triple. As for as I know, the TCR1 comes with Shimano's 105 groupset, which has a 52/39 tooth crankset at the front. If you're planning on doing a bit of climbing, e.g. spins to Wicklow, it might be an idea to start with a compact double crankset, which has either 50/36 or 50/34 teeth. It's what I started out with and it's gotten me up everything in Wicklow no bother. If you decide to go down this route, you could negotiate with the bikeshop to swap the crankset for a compact as part of the deal. If they're decent, they won't charge you for it, especially if you're buying a whole load of other gear off them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

which shops were you in?
    I started out last year and bought a 1500e bike. Told the guy in Cycleways that it was for commuting and weekend long distance excursions to Wicklow. He was recommending summat for 1100 - 1300, but I decided for myself that I wanted a little more, and I was prepared to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I think if you're starting out that there's no need whatsoever to spend that kind of cash.
    Something like this from Cyclestore, under €500 would be fine for starters.
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=12394

Have a look at this thread 'Recommendations for new bike- budget of €500 max' that I posted recently

I'd advise to get cycling shoes, pedals for the shoes. Everything else is optional and you can get stuff as you go along (cycling shorts, waterproofs etc.) Don't splash out loads in the beginning, wait until you decide you like cycling a lot.
    Don't get bogged down in too many specifics-just make sure you have a comfy saddle (can get suspension saddle), decide if you want a hybrid, road bike and grip shift gears or not.

If you're willing to buy from the net take a look at Edinburgh Cycles, something like this, it only has 7 gears (you don't need 24 for commuting..)-
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=7844&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=Krevolution%20hybrid%20bikes%7E2&f%5FSortOrderID=2&f%5Fbct=m005724

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Elfentoe

Thanks for the info guys! I think I will go ahead with the TCR as it is - i dont intend climbing the Wicklow mountains just yet but something that i would definitely love to do - i am sure i can change the gearing system at a later stage if i take up the challenge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Another option for gear is to wait until the cycling stuff comes around in Aldi or Lidl again - it's dirt cheap compared to other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know you said you've got your mind make up BUT have a look at this-
    From Wiggle for £799 sterling- seems to be very clever- lightweight, like a racer/road bike but stronger, more durable tyres, handlebar brakes as well as normal. You can use for commuting, distance or off raod....
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360025960&N=Focus%20Mares%20Cross%202007

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

dinneenp wrote:
    I know you said you've got your mind make up BUT have a look at this-
    From Wiggle for £799 sterling- seems to be very clever- lightweight, like a racer/road bike but stronger, more durable tyres, handlebar brakes as well as normal. You can use for commuting, distance or off raod....
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360025960&N=Focus%20Mares%20Cross%202007

Cross bikes - the way of the future my friends! Get one of those, practice your superman-style cyclocross mounts and you'll be kicking Sven Nys' arse in no time.*

[size=-2]* May not necessarily be true[/size]

Advertisement