Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another New Starter!!!

Options
  • 31-05-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Seriously thinking of taking up cycling and finding it very hard to get consistant advice from local shops. I have a budget of about €2000 but this includes all the gear including clothes etc etc. This leaves about 1500 or so for the bike itself (i think!!) I was looking at a Giant TCR 1 for about 1300 which seems like a good bike and manufacturer reading the reviews on the web. Some of the local cycling shops saying i should be spending more but i would prefer to upgrade at a later stage if needed. I think this bike has a full Shimano spec for gears and brakes etc

The biggest confusion for me and the main contradiction between the local shops was the gearing system. Should i go for a 2 or 3 sprocket gearing system (i.e. at pedals) I was told that the 3-sprocket gearing system was only for very mountainous terrain as it had lower gear ratios - but maybe i should be looking for this as i am new to cycling???!!! I intend to start out with 10-20km runs to get used to the bike then push this up to 50-60km - i dont intend at the moment going beyond this or racing competitively but maybe joining a local touring cycle club. I would be reasonably fit previously doing a lot of running but I believe cycling is another level altogether!!!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement