Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec me a system for Vista for €1000?

Options
  • 31-05-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

My auld AMD 4000+ single core cpu is starting to feel the pressure and I reckon now is about the right time to upgrade the lot! I've been out of the upgrading game for awhile now and was wondering if anyone could get me started again by quoting me a fairly decent system with a budget of €1000. At the moment I need a CPU, MB, RAM, PSU, and maybe a new case and gfx card but they can probably wait.

I've currently got a 7900gt which handles most games well enough but I'll probably upgrade that when Crysis comes out, also even though my case is full of holes from a botched watercooling attempt it should be ok for another little while :)

I'm thinking of getting Vista aswell and running a dual boot with Linux until things are more settled with Vista.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If you like your games vista's a no go for now.. Terrible it is for games :(

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I found that when I turned off User Access Control a lot of games were suddenly able to run properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well if its that bad for games I'll probably dual boot with xp pro then. Although a friend of mine hasnt had any problems playing C&C 3 since he upgraded? Also does anyone know my 520w OCZ psu will be fine are would I need to upgrade to stay safe? I presume all the new socket 775 motherboards take 20 or 24 12v connections still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

psu should be fine they are 24 now.

i will spec a system l8r for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Put this together under budget , I really want that case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

far2gud wrote:

Bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

This should get your started;

Gigabyte P35 chipset

Core 2 Duo E6600

Zalman 9500 cooler

Corsair 2GB DDR-2 800

Gigabyte Trition black case

Tagan EasyCon 580W

An 8800GTS 320

You could go with cheaper PSU if you want to save a bit of money lose the Zalman cooler as well.

Does this €1000 include the cost of the Vista liscene well OEM is very cheap but also what about monitor ?

far2gud wrote:

Lol thats a ridiculous case. It would be a nightmare to keep clean I'd say!

8T8 wrote:
    This should get your started;

Gigabyte P35 chipset

Core 2 Duo E6600

Zalman 9500 cooler

Corsair 2GB DDR-2 800

Gigabyte Trition black case

Tagan EasyCon 580W

An 8800GTS 320

You could go with cheaper PSU if you want to save a bit of money lose the Zalman cooler as well.

Does this €1000 include the cost of the Vista liscene well OEM is very cheap but also what about monitor ?

Cheers for this, few questions though :)
    Does it not make sense to get RAM that is rated at the same speed as the bus on the cpu. e.g. the c2d E6600 has fsb of 1066 MHz whereas the RAM you listed is 800 MHz DDR2. What if I got something like this? I remember reading somehwere that c2d cpu's run better using RAM that has memory speed matched the same as fsb?
    I probably won't need a cooler as I can just use the 9500 I already have for my amd processor. I think I gave away the socket 775 fittings to somewhere here on boards though, damn my generosity ;)
    Also I have dual 21" widescreen Dell monitors so no problems there!
    I was thinking of getting Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, would this be a waste of money though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

depends where you get it, as its officially < 500€

Which is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Cheers for this, few questions though :)
    Does it not make sense to get RAM that is rated at the same speed as the bus on the cpu. e.g. the c2d E6600 has fsb of 1066 MHz whereas the RAM you listed is 800 MHz DDR2. What if I got something like this? I remember reading somehwere that c2d cpu's run better using RAM that has memory speed matched the same as fsb?
    I probably won't need a cooler as I can just use the 9500 I already have for my amd processor. I think I gave away the socket 775 fittings to somewhere here on boards though, damn my generosity ;)
    Also I have dual 21" widescreen Dell monitors so no problems there!
    I was thinking of getting Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, would this be a waste of money though?

For RAM no don't bother, 1066 is overclockers RAM the official top speed is DDR-2 800 and getting anything faster doesn't make that much of a difference unless you are out to win synthetic benchmarks.

In regards the existing Zalman 9500 if you don't have the mounts for s775 then either source them from someone who does or buy another 9500 are your only options.

Vista Ultimate 64-bit retail is a waste of money at this time.
    * If you want the retail version which allows you to reinstall without having to call Microsoft get the Vista Home Premium retail version.
    * If you don't care about calling MS to re-activate (all you tell them is the mobo broke and was replaced) get the Vista Ultimate OEM version instead.

As for 32-bit vs 64-bit well unless you like living on the edge I'd play it safe and go with the 32-bit version because of a much higher rate of compatibility. Given time the 64-bit will become a more viable option wait until at least post SP1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If you like your games vista's a no go for now.. Terrible it is for games

Not any more , new games run fine now ( on home premium anyway ..thats what I have ! ).
    The graphics drivers were at fault , the new drivers have fixed most issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

158 ones?

I only compared difference by this.. My games crashed bf2 and stalker! The fact I could actaully play stalker on all high in xp with vista I couldnt! Recording bf2 with fraps in vista 40 and under fps in xp 90 and above.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement