Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

USB device question

• 31-05-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

Is there a USB device in existence which allows you connect one USB device to two computers?
    I have recently installed skyDSL but it can't be networked so I would like to know if I could attach the skyDSL USB box to two machines at the same time?
    It would be like a network switch but with USB ports on it instead of RJ45 ports. I looked at eBay but they had nothing like what I want. I assume it doesn't exist.

Edit; actually, it does: a bit expensive though;
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=120877

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is not a tweaking/modding issue.

Moved to somewhere random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

One option...the cheapest....would be to network the two pc's using a crossover cable then setup the second machine to use the first one's internet connection. I used to do this before I got a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

hopeful wrote:
    One option...the cheapest....would be to network the two pc's using a crossover cable then setup the second machine to use the first one's internet connection. I used to do this before I got a router.

That's actually what I wanted to do but couldn't because of some issues with Service Pack 2 on the two machines. I changed the name of one of them while I was trying to network it and next thing I couldn't log on to my skyDSL account and had to uninstall and re-install all the software again.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you could also buy a dsl router and replace the sky modem

you cant split usb like that, only one machine can control a usb device at a time

subway wrote:
    you could also buy a dsl router and replace the sky modem

you cant split usb like that, only one machine can control a usb device at a time

I know yeah, I didn't buy the one off expansys, I got one in Maplin's instead for €41.50. You can attach up to four devices and attach it to two machines.
    You press a button to switch the devices attached between the two machines.
    I don't think a DSL router will work cause the skyDSL box is attached by USB to the lappie, not by RJ45.

• Advertisement

lukin wrote:
    I know yeah, I didn't buy the one off expansys, I got one in Maplin's instead for €41.50. You can attach up to four devices and attach it to two machines.
    You press a button to switch the devices attached between the two machines.
    I don't think a DSL router will work cause the skyDSL box is attached by USB to the lappie, not by RJ45.
    i meant to replace the sky modem altogether

subway wrote:
    i meant to replace the sky modem altogether

But the only way you can connect the skyDSL modem is by double-clicking on it in Network Connections.

you can replace the modem with a better one and set it up as a normal broadband connection.

subway wrote:
    you can replace the modem with a better one and set it up as a normal broadband connection.

OK, I might do that when I have the moolah.

Advertisement