Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlistenable ad voiceovers!

• 31-05-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it's been firmly established round these parts that Don Wycherley has one of the most annoying voices EVER, but there are a few other guilty parties (in my humble opinion of course):

- The guy that does the opening line of a current ad for I think Sky Digital, featuring two guys watching "snow" on the telly. He says something like "from the further reaches of the polar ice caps". Clearly sticking his jaw out in order to effect a pretentious accent. My radio is switched off once it starts.
    - That one who does the Three mobile ads and who's in Fair City at the moment. Please end the speaking through the clenched mouth, love!
    - The one who's been doing ads a good few years now and feels the need to effect a slight English accent while over-pronouncing her T's and she always does the "terms and conditions apply, calls may be recorded, ...financial regulator" etc bit at the end of Irish Life and Permanent ads. Sounds like she has a rod up her ass.
    - One of the blokes in the current Lotto advertising campaign, featuring the furry soft toy guys - again, clenched mouth. Think it might be Neil Delamere.
    - People who pronounce 's' as 'sh'.
    - There's a guy who has a fairly crap voice and has been doing ads for years but at least he doesn't feel the need to put on an accent - except he does effect a stupid and annoying voice at the end of the Recruitireland ads: "There's always a better job at Recruitireland.ie"
    - Phelim Drew (Ronnie's son): Again, he feels the need to effect a slight English accent, which seems to be getting more and more pronounced. He's currently doing an ad about some golf greats getting together - so it's Eamonn Dahcy, rather than Darcy, Christy O'Connoh Junior etc. And he pronounces 's' like 'sh'.
    - And the guy who does the Bulmers ads. As far as I know, it's Gerard Whelan of An Emotional Fish/Jerry Fish and the Mudbug Club. Has he been living in England for years or something? Because if he hasn't, then that faux northern England accent is unforgivable.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Dudess wrote:
    One of the blokes in the current Lotto advertising campaign, featuring the furry soft toy guys - again, clenched mouth. Think it might be Neil Delamere.

Ah no, I think his voice is really well suited to the role in those ads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The recruitireland.com ads are voiced by Darragh Kelly (and he seems to do every 2nd ad on radio), and he's a particular peeve of mine right now.

I also hate the voice of the woman who seems to do all the HSE ads, like the ones reminding people to wash their hands. She sounds like she has a permanent cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yer man Miley from Glenroe that does a financial services ad. The bit where he does the "terms & conditions apply" bit is as long as the ad, but is unintelligible. Blabber, that's all it is, mumbling blabber

THE most irritating ad at the moment which I finally figured out was for Visa, advertising a special offer for the Rugby World Cup. wtf with all the sound effects? I don't get them at all. Incomprehensible and plain stupid.

About 18 months ago they started sponsored jingles for the weather report on RTE1. The sponsored jingles often last longer than the weather forecast. Very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Those fuppin' cat Laughs ads with Karl Spain. They're all ****e, but the one with the PJ fella is excruciating. The painfully unfunny voice repeating what Spain has already said. I have to mute the radio. Hilhairyarse, indeed. tosspots.

The Bulmers Light woman. Dear sweet jaysus. Just the way she says "light."

Three for free. Arrgh.

Thing is, I only feel marginally better having said all this because I had to relive the ads to write about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dudess wrote:
    And the guy who does the Bulmers ads. As far as I know, it's Gerard Whelan of An Emotional Fish/Jerry Fish and the Mudbug Club. Has he been living in England for years or something? Because if he hasn't, then that faux northern England accent is unforgivable.
    He was born and raised in the UK, but his folks were Irish. He used to holiday in Ireland every summer as a kid before moving over here for good in his late teens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

earwicker wrote:
    The Bulmers Light woman. Dear sweet jaysus. Just the way she says "light."

I know. Pretentious twaddle. And why the "moany" voice? She sounds like she's either in a) the throes of sexual ecstasy or b) pain.

My apologies on Gerard Whelan. Turns out his hint of an English accent IS genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the secondary school essay type ad from newstalk reading out the definition of 'talk', its annoying I have to turn it off everytime I hear it, D-

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭FledNanders

the guy who does the "it's nearly 11 o'clock, time to go remortgage your house with www.dodgywebsite.com" and other stupid things like that....oh yea thanks for the reminder!

Has to be the wierdest form of advertising ever. Like, why just because it's a certain time of the day would it make me want to buy/do ANYTHING?? :confused:

Maybe "it's nearly 2am and you're sittin up listening to re-runs of Adrian Kennedy, go to bed" would be useful, but that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Note: TO AVOID INCURRING THE WRATH OF MONKEYFUDGE AND CO, THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD DEDICATED TO AWFUL ADS. THIS PARTICULAR THREAD IS ONLY CONCERNED WITH AWFUL VOICEOVERS. THANKS. AND SORRY FOR SHOUTING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Dudess wrote:
    - The guy that does the opening line of a current ad for I think Sky Digital, featuring two guys watching "snow" on the telly. He says something like "from the further reaches of the polar ice caps". Clearly sticking his jaw out in order to effect a pretentious accent. My radio is switched off once it starts.

Don't get me started, that's the most annoying ad ever. It ruins my day if I can't change the station before the says "nook nook."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dudess wrote:
    I usually switch off before I have to here him say Nuknuk. That's an incredibly stupid word spoken by someone with an incredibly stupid voice.
    - That one who does the Three mobile ads and who's in Fair City at the moment. Please end the speaking through the clenched mouth, love!
    That bird does my head in. She was also doing the Desperate Housewives & Grey's Anatomy ads a few weeks back, pretending to be on the phone to someone and explaing all about Dr McDreamy and other shoite. She has a nasally voice that's only beaten by the one that used to do the Lyons tea ads. Haven't heard those in quite a while now, thank Christ, but I think she does other ads too. She has the most annoying voice (whether it's her own or put on for effect) of any person on the planet. Yes, even more annoying than Bobcat Goldthwait from the Police Academy movies.

And finally, if Whacker tells me to "take id eeasy woill ya" in the most irritating of Dublin skanger accents one more time, I think I might just smack the radio. Whatever ad exec thought it was a good idea to use a knacker to advertise their product should be taken outside and shot.

Isn't it strange the way awful voiceovers and awful ads go hand in hand so often. Like if you come up with an idea for a particularly irritating ad then you must also get the actors to put on some God-awful accent just to top it all off. Is that an unwritten (or written) rule of radio advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Daft Dave but only until Sunday at 5pm because the sale will be over and the monkey will be visiting his mammy wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

That one who does the Three mobile ads and who's in Fair City at the moment. Please end the speaking through the clenched mouth, love!

Arrghghh - her lisp is SOOO annoying.

It seems she is voicing EVERYTHING on RTE at the moment. Seriously though, hasnt someone noticed her lisp?

Advertisement