Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Car questions

Options
  • 31-05-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

ok. i need some help, getting overwhelmed, just need a breakdown of steps to follow.

so basically i just bought a car. - paid, and sent off the change of ownership (last thursday via registered post).

i dont know how long it will take to get it back.

now, ive called an insurance company who've given me a good quote.

thing is now, im going to leave for 3 weeks holidays and ill be back on the 22nd june. hopefully the ownership details will be back then.

i will get the insurance when i come back then as i need to bring a document from back home to show my previous insurer details (from back home - to which im going on holidays) - and can get a good insurance deal.

Now, the sticky part.

im moving out from my current address on the 30th june.

so basically ill need to change:

car address, insurance address.

Tax on the car expires 30 june 07.

what do i have to do?ie, what forms should i be filling and when?

thank you for anyone helping a noob getting around to that...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

ring the insurance company and change the address get the new cert out and go the tax office with log book and insurance cert and tax the car and change the address all at once in the tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

is the new tax effective immediately?ie, do i get the new disc on the spot? is there a long queue to get that done, and can i do that before the tax expires (ill be working full time as from 2nd of july, and wont get a minute off)

so no need to change address for the vehicle by sending it to shannon,same way as when i changed ownership then?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Sorry about probably irrelevant question. I am moving to Ireland and have 2 quick questions…
    1. when you purchase car what else do you have to pay and how much to get it on the road?
    2. would insurance companies take any recommendation letters from insurance companies in Canada about driving records and accident free records?
    Sorry and thanks…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Once you have paid for the car (Vehicle Registration Tax of 25 or 30% will be payable on imports unless you are bringing your own car that you have owned for over 6 months in your current country) you need to get it insured and taxed. The insurance companies should accept a letter from your Canadian insurer as proof of no-claims in order to get a discount.
    You will need a valid insurance policy number before you can pay your motor tax. Rates vary depending on the cubic capacity of your engine - details available on http://www.motortax.ie.
    EU citizens can drive in Ireland on their existing licences indefinately. I think you would have to get an Irish licence if you are coming from Canada. They will directly swap some foreign licences for Irish ones without doing a driving test, but as far as I can tell you will need to do a driving test here to get a licence. See here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit/?searchterm=foreign%20driving%20licence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Spipov wrote:
    is the new tax effective immediately?ie, do i get the new disc on the spot? is there a long queue to get that done, and can i do that before the tax expires (ill be working full time as from 2nd of july, and wont get a minute off)

so no need to change address for the vehicle by sending it to shannon,same way as when i changed ownership then?

The new tax is from the date of expiry of the last disc not when you renew. In order to get any un taxed time excluded you need to get a form signed in a Garda Station.
    The queues can be huge at the start/end of the month, but mid month they aren't too bad. You get the disc at the counter when you pay your tax and you should be able to change address also.

When you get you ownership papers the tax renewal should come soon after that, since your tax is almost up, and you can change address if you use the on-line tax option without going to the tax office.
    TheOneToBe Sorry about probably irrelevant question. I am moving to Ireland and have 2 quick questions…
    1. when you purchase car what else do you have to pay and how much to get it on the road?
    2. would insurance companies take any recommendation letters from insurance companies in Canada about driving records and accident free records?
    Sorry and thanks…

Once you buy the car and it's on Irish plates you can drive as soon as you have insurance and the car is taxed. You can get a little bit of lee way for having no tax on a car you just bought, but as above you don't get any money off unless you get form signed by Guards.

The insurance companies may not give you any discount from your Canadian insurance, but it'll make it easier to get insurance since you have a proved record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

for trying to beat the ques try get there before they open and you wont spend too much time there and once taxing the car you can change address and ownership in the tax office and get your tax disc into your hand

Advertisement