Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what course should (and can) i do to help people, got 330

Options
  • 31-05-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

is there a list of courses that i can do at 330 points, anyone have any suggestion of a meaningful course that will help others possibly abroad? tell me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Computer Science/Applications!

It's between 200 and 360 points in most places. Computer training is a very valid way of helping others and if by abroad you mean voluntary work in disadvantaged areas, there are oppertunities to volunteer in helping setting up an IT infrastructure in these areas and teaching people how to use computers.

Also, there are tons of job oppertunities in IT here in Ireland.

You'd want to have at least some interest in computers and how they work before applying for a course like this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Sceince also falls in that points category I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

the social work kind of stuff maybe? going for social care in cit myself, was 335 last year but was bit higher the other years... so if that doesn't come down wit does something similar and it's in a load of other colleges anyway, could even do plc first like. you can go abroad in the second year of the one in cit but like that kind of qualification from anywhere else would be handy for any voluntary work i'd imagine. meant to be very tough being a social worker but the courses are generally broad enough to cover other stuff as well if you don't want to get into that specific area... could lead to residential care/disabilities/youth and that kind of work... might be something to look into...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

social science in NUIM if you could get a few more points (385-ish)

or else Public and social policy in NUIG for 300 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

if you really want something just take a year to decide by repeating, it's not so bad. i know someone who went from 330 to 495.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Computer Science/Applications!

It's between 200 and 360 points in most places. Computer training is a very valid way of helping others and if by abroad you mean voluntary work in disadvantaged areas, there are oppertunities to volunteer in helping setting up an IT infrastructure in these areas and teaching people how to use computers.

Also, there are tons of job oppertunities in IT here in Ireland.

You'd want to have at least some interest in computers and how they work before applying for a course like this though.

lol. a computer science/applications course doesnt mean you can do voluntary work in disadvantaged areas. It means you work in an office wrighting software or you could be a technician. Why would you VOULNTEER in helping setting up an IT infrastructure in these areas and teaching people how to use computers. Fcuk that, you went to college and got a degree, you should be getting well paid for it. i know.......its what i did!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lol. a computer science/applications course doesnt mean you can do voluntary work in disadvantaged areas. It means you work in an office wrighting software or you could be a technician. Why would you VOULNTEER in helping setting up an IT infrastructure in these areas and teaching people how to use computers. Fcuk that, you went to college and got a degree, you should be getting well paid for it. i know.......its what i did!!!!

The OP is looking for a course that allows him to help others. I think JC was trying to poit out that he could do a computer course and get a good well paid job with his degree in an area he finds interesting and still help people. He could work the whole office thing and then help teach people computers in the evening or at weekends. To the OP just because you want to help people doesn't mean you have to do social work. You should find a profession that you would like to work at and use your skills you have learned to help other people like JC said.

Yes, but you're a self centered moron.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Yes, but you're a self centered moron.
    how exactly? i was correcting your error when you said you can help a lot of people by doing a computer course, even though 99.9% of computer jobs are desk jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i was correcting your error when you said you can help a lot of people by doing a computer course, even though 99.9% of computer jobs are desk jobs.

You can still help people by doing a computer course. In his spare time the OP could use the skills he learned in college and his knowledge of computers to help people. By help I presume JC doesn't mean the likes of cure cancer or end poverty in the world.
    For example the OP could help someone who may not have much money to buy a computer by finding them a relatively good second hand one and upgrading a few components, then install free software on it for the person so they aren't spending a fortune on software licenses eg open office, avg and so on and so forth. The OP could also help a school to set up some new computers so that they don't have to pay someone to do it. So he can still help people even if he is at a desk all day.
    how exactly?

Because when he was on about helping people you said "Why would you VOULNTEER" "Fcuk that" "you should be getting well paid for it. i know.......its what i did!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

but presumably you can direct yourself towards the .1% that arent, seeing as tthe OP wants to

you moron

and it's spelt write, but youve spelt it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Geomatics in DIT, my brother did that, and I was reading one of his surveying magazine things and you can go abroad and help with building water schemes and stuff (this is what I gathered from what I read, but you'll help construct something). My brother works as a site engineer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

By help I presume JC doesn't mean the likes of cure cancer

Maybe setup a network of Linux/BSD/Boxen to contribute to curing cancer through protein folding:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Best thing is you wouldn't need to be a Scientist to contribute, just plenty of clock cycles which no doubt are idling by while some people type up Word documents on their Dell core 2 duo machines and the like:D

Well, firstly a Computer Science degree DOES NOT necessarily mean a desk job. I wouldn't consider PC repair, hardware design, robotics etc. desk jobs.

Secondly, I presumed the OP meant volunteer work abroad when they said they wanted to help people abroad. Believe it or not, helping to set up IT infrastructure in developing countries is a very valid form of volunteer work. See: http://geekcorps.org/index.php

Because when he was on about helping people you said "Why would you VOULNTEER" "Fcuk that" "you should be getting well paid for it. i know.......its what i did!!!!"
    whats the point of spending 4 years in college, if you dont get paid for waht you do?

Naikon wrote:
    Maybe setup a network of Linux/BSD/Solaris Boxen to contribute to curing cancer through protein folding:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Best thing is you wouldn't need to be a Scientist to contribute, just plenty of clock cycles which no doubt are idling by while some people type up Word documents on their Dell core 2 duo machines and the like:D

I know about the whole folding thing. I meant it in a more over the top sort of way just to prove a point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Or you could do nursing, if the points go down a small bit.

whats the point of spending 4 years in college, if you dont get paid for waht you do?
    Because not all of our lives revolve around money.....

We're not disputing the OP making money anyway, one can both make money off the skills they learn in college as well as use them to help people voluntarily....

I'm not saying he shouldn't get paid but if he does want to help people - which given his original post he does - he can help out in his spare time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

As someone already said, because not everything is about money.

Anyway, moving back on topic please....

back to the topic, IT sligo does a computing course. you have more than enough points for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

But does he have an Interest in IT/Computing?
    If he is not that way inclined he should not pick it especially If he hates programming or generally working with computers or dabbling with Linux etc.
    Lets hope he isn't a Neo-Luddite;)

Naikon wrote:
    But does he have an Interest in IT/Computing?
    If he is not that way inclined he should not pick it especially If he hates programming or generally working with computers or dabbling with Linux etc.
    Agreed, as I said in my first post. IT/Computing was jsut a suggstion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

nursing is always an option

Advertisement