Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma

• 31-05-2007 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I am just finished my degree and i am seriously considering doing masters or doing a higher diploma.
    The degree that i have is not business based, which is the route that i wish to proceed with my career so the higher diploma would be a better coarse for me personally but then again the masters would look better on a cv.

Any taughts, are higher diplomas looked upon as a serious qualification by employers?

Any help is greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would be of the opinion that the higher the qualification, the better. So, a masters would, as you say, look better on a CV.

Some colleges/universities structure postgrad courses that begin as a higher diploma and has the option to continue on to masters level. That might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joanb1

The conditions required to get into the H.Dip courses in the 4 NUI colleges in Ireland are clear. (Names listed on Dept of Ed. Website). Go to www.pac.ie for all the exact requirements and dates. It gives the points needed to get into the course, 2007, i.e. approx 41 which can be made up of primary degree points, e.g. 39 plus teaching sub hours, e.g 1, plus extra cert. course points e.g. 1. If you are interested in doing the H.Dip, please read the information on this website. It is all there, and is official. Best wishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

joanb1 wrote:

The conditions required to get into the H.Dip courses in the 4 NUI colleges in Ireland are clear. (Names listed on Dept of Ed. Website). Go to www.pac.ie for all the exact requirements and dates. It gives the points needed to get into the course, 2007, i.e. approx 41 which can be made up of primary degree points, e.g. 39 plus teaching sub hours, e.g 1, plus extra cert. course points e.g. 1. If you are interested in doing the H.Dip, please read the information on this website. It is all there, and is official. Best wishes

I don't think it was the teaching diploma that the original poster meant. It seems to be a business diploma they were hinting at.

There's a HDip in Economics in UCD with the possibility of upgrading to a Master's a year later. Not sure what the entry requirements are in terms of initial knowledge of the subject itself but it might be worth coinsidering.

Advertisement