Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Backup MX Service

Options
  • 31-05-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am currently looking for a Backup MX service for some clients running their own mail servers. Having put in a couple of hours research online, I have found several companies offering “Store and Forward” backup email servers which seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

One company in particular offers a web based interface to check, read and delete queued up emails. But so far none seem to allow you to actually reply to, or interact with emails that are queued.

I realise the most important thing is to get the primary server back up and running as quickly as possible, but it would be nice to be able to respond to emails in case the downtime turned out to be significant.

So my question is: Is such a service possible? And have you any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've never come across anything like that, though it probably does exist ...

For most SMEs if the main office server is offline it's probably due to either their BB connection being dead or a massive failure with hardware, so a normal backup MX would do the job ....

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Backup MX's are my pet peeve. You're coming at this from the wrong angle. What you want is high availability email if email is that critical.

So you want to find someone with serious critical mail infrastructure in place to guarantee end delivery of your mail.

Use POP/IMAP to collect/read your mail. If the service provider has a server side interface for reading the mail, that could be used in the case where the users' client breaks, their machine breaks down, etc.

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What Phil said - outsource your mail to a provider that has spent hundreds of thousands in email infrastrructure to ensure you wont have an outage and your mail wont be lost.

Advertisement