Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plath and Bishop

Options
  • 31-05-2007 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

howya, listen what do u think of primarily concentrating on Plath , Bishop and somewhat on Kavanagh for the poetry section of paper2?
    a risk worth taking considering plath + bishop essays are a1 standard aswel!
    i know u gotta cover 5 poets 2 b matimatically secured!!!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

3/8 means you'd have 37.5% chance of it coming up. Like, it's up to you but I'd have a look at another one just to be sure that one of the poets you've studied come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I reckon, Plath, Frost and Yeats will be on the paper

Kavanagh also likely

Eliot possible

Montague and Bishop unlikely.

Donne, i hope to got not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Tbh i dont think its the worst idea in the world, especially if ur stuck for time. iv studied my five poets but iv learned bishop and plath off by heart. there has always been a female poet on the paper every single year, i mean they cant really not put one on the paper, it would be a little sexist considering the poetry course is totally dominated by guys. im nearly positive one of the two will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Slightly off the topic, can you just tell me (if you have time, that is) how you would rate my essays i have written up.

Kavanagh:
    http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Trace_Kavanagh%27s_development_/_poetic_hegira_from_the_early_poems_through_to_the_late_poems

Plath:
    http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/A_personal_reaction_to_the_poetry_of_Sylvia_Plath

I know Donne very well, and I also plan to do Bishop and frost to completely cover me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

sternn wrote:
    Slightly off the topic, can you just tell me (if you have time, that is) how you would rate my essays i have written up.

Kavanagh:
    http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/Trace_Kavanagh%27s_development_/_poetic_hegira_from_the_early_poems_through_to_the_late_poems

Plath:
    http://www.zulunotes.com/wiki/index.php/A_personal_reaction_to_the_poetry_of_Sylvia_Plath

I know Donne very well, and I also plan to do Bishop and frost to completely cover me.

hey, i think they're both very good. you've got a very good vocabulary and you covered each poem pretty equally. for plath, do put a little bit in about poppies in july. id just said something like: “Poppies in July” is a very disturbing poem, depicting despair and emotional exhaustion. It occurred during the break-up of her marriage to Ted Hughes. It is a paradox when she refers to the poppies, as “little poppies” which suggest sentimentality but then describes them scathingly as “little hell flames”. This illustrates Plath’s disturbed psychological state at the time. “I put my hands among the flames. Nothing burns,” is a superb image. She has gone through so much pain that she has been numbed. She longs for the relief that “liquors” can offer to deter her from her troubles. This poem is very upsetting but incredibly powerful at the same time. id say ud be set then. its funny, i have some of the same lines as u in my kavanagh essay, the one about in a society that was insular a man's worth being measured by the straightness of the line he could furrow and his ability to transform the ordinary and the benal into something of significance. cant remember where i got the lines from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Both are good but the Kavanagh one has some pretty dreadful spelling at times. 'bigins' jumped out at me tbh.

blondie07 wrote:
    its funny, i have some of the same lines as u in my kavanagh essay, the one about in a society that was insular a man's worth being measured by the straightness of the line he could furrow and his ability to transform the ordinary and the benal into something of significance. cant remember where i got the lines from!

Haha!! I think I got them from the internet somewhere, or maybe that Poetry Now book/this is poetry. I use so many different resources to get my ideas, and then write the answer in my own words...using these sentences where necessary

Both are good but the Kavanagh one has some pretty dreadful spelling at times. 'bigins' jumped out at me tbh.

well, i did type it up just a few minutes ago....so there would be a lot of mistakes, since i tend to type very fast...rushing at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Ah well that explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

3/8 means you'd have 37.5% chance of it coming up. Like, it's up to you but I'd have a look at another one just to be sure that one of the poets you've studied come up.

no

probability of at least one coming up = 1 - (8/4 * 7/3 * 2/6) = 13/14 = 93%

edit: that should of course read 1 - (4/8 * 3/7 * 2/6)....
    damn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Juicebox

well from the rumours flying around yeats is apparently gonna come up, my teacher reckons that they wont bring donne,elliot and yeats on the same paper coz theyre the 3 hardest which would be unfair so you should definately leave the other two out!! an irish,a modern and a woman and thats a fairly safe bet.im doin 5 frost,plath,bishop,kavanagh,montague(he hasnt come up yet i dont think!!!) and ill do yeats ****ty coz we didnt really do it in great detail.......all this gruesome work for 50 marks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You can't exactly say they're the three hardest, it depends on the student's understanding of their poetry. Some people may find Yeats easier to write on that Bishop, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Tomlowe wrote:
    no

probability of at least one coming up = 1 - (8/4 * 7/3 * 2/6) = 13/14 = 93%

Owned

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

sternn wrote:

Kavanagh:

Plath:

Just read the plath one quickly, one problem with it, it's not a personal essay or reaction which I'm guessing from the title it was meant to be. You won't get the high marks unless you make it a lot more personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

I have a feeling that both Plath and Bishop might come up... considering that only 2 of the 8 are women, they might try to compensate by putting both on. Both are worth knowing well anyway. If there were no female poet, they'd be going against the syllabus, and that'd cause a bit of an uproar! Bishop coming up last year doesn't mean anything- she was on in both 2001 and 2002, and Plath was on in 2003 and 2004 as well, so repeating them isn't unusual.
    My other feeling is that Kavanagh and Eliot will be on, because it's the 40th anniversary of Kavanagh's death this year, and he and Eliot aren't prescribed again until 2010. As regards Yeats.. definitely possible, but I'd say Kavanagh is slightly more likely.
    A lot of people seem to be predicting Montague, but I doubt it, he's on for 2008 and 2009 aswell. When Heaney was prescribed for 2001, 2002 and 2003, he didn't come up until 2003, so they might do the same with Montague and leave him until the third year.
    Anyway, I'm learning Plath, Bishop, Kavanagh, Yeats and Frost (I haven't done Eliot).

chas 88.....u certainly but a lot of research into predicting the poet!! i like it!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

But one could argue that Yeats is most likely to come up. The paper is set in november/december. At that time last year the national library of Ireland hosted a Yeats exhibition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

I'm gonna study 4 (by the way it says absolutely no where in the sylabus that there has to be a female poet on the paper its juat that they always have but this might be the year they decide not to)

my theorey is they're not going to put 2 irish and the 2 older style poets on the paper i.e. Kavanagh, yeats, Elliott and Donne

Therefore im studing the other 4
    Bishop, Plath, Frost, Montague....i hope to god one of them comes up...otherwise ill just be winging quotes from Kavanagh

On the other hand i could try not going on the internet, thus meaning id have more time tostudy and extra poet, but honestly I don't see that happening

dan719 wrote:
    But one could argue that Yeats is most likely to come up. The paper is set in november/december. At that time last year the national library of Ireland hosted a Yeats exhibition.

that's good to know! thanks, I might give yeats a better look now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Bishop came up for me last year so can pretty much guarantee Plath will come up. Every year there one woman poet has always come up and I don't see why they would change this pattern this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Because they are assholes and they want to piss us off:D Glad I got that out of my system!;)

deisedolly wrote:
    Bishop came up for me last year so can pretty much guarantee Plath will come up. Every year there one woman poet has always come up and I don't see why they would change this pattern this year.

I don't understand why everyone assumes that Plath is guaranteed. Bishop came up 2 years in a row already, 2001 and 2002, and so did Plath, 2003 and 2004. so it happens! this year is also Bishop's last year on the course for a good few years, and Plath is on again next year. I think they're 50-50, and maybe Bishop is a bit more likely, for the unpredictability factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Thats some amazing maths there homeslice, so if he studied 5 he'd have
    5(12.5) = 61.5% chance when it's actually 100.

Bitta A in honours maths! Definatley do questions 6+7 on ppr 2, you'll fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Would you get away with knowing Plath and Bishop so? They're my 2 best ones really then Yeats. Clueless for the rest of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Donne, i hope to got not!!

Donne came up last year as did Bishop.

According to skoool.ie there are only 8 poets examinable this year:

* Elizabeth Bishop
    * John Donne
    * TS Eliot
    * Robert Frost
    * Patrick Kavanagh
    * John Montague
    * Sylvia Plath
    * WB Yeats

Personally i doubt they'll repeat Donne again. Bishop i cant say for sure as they do like repeating Plath and Bishop when then come up ( Bishop came up in '01 & '02 and Plath in '03 and '04).

Im doing Plath, Kavanagh, Yeats and Frost. I reckon at least one of them will come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eireplaygirl

I know plath but with bishop i only learned the fish armadillo and filling station for description do you think ill be safe with that? urgent please reply:eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Doing Plath, Frost and Kavanagh. And Bishop as backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

doing plath and bishop.....

....and im starting now:eek: :confused:

Advertisement