Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a X car is crap attitude

Options
  • 31-05-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Seriously, I've seen a few people on here dissing a car because of its name ?

I mean . Why .. I don't get it, theres no basis for it.

VW is better than Skoda and Audi is better than VW ? I mean, you idiots really have fallen for the brand game.

Tesco do the exact same thing and its why they make so much money, its off idiots like you ! i.e. selling products under different brands to target all markets.

Its the same as a person buying a Dell over Apple, A MacBook pro comes off the EXACT same production line as a Dell Latitude, their manufactured by Quantas, they just tool up to produce a different laptop in a day. Dell make money on Volume, Apple make money on Margin / Lower Volume.

Next time i hear someone say, OH .. OH MY GOD .. Its a Skoda, haha ...

Yes .. Buy a brand new car .. for your .. err .. image.. lose 10% of the Value when you drive it out of the showroom. Pay the overhead for a different Badge :D

Opel Vs Chevrolet Vs Saab Vauxhall ?
    VW Vs Seat Vs Audi Vs Skoda
    Toyota and Lexus

Yes .. Yes .. Car manufacturers are Laughing all the way to the bank, selling you the same stuff with different names .. Excellent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

mmmmhhhh ... a little blinkered is your view i think !!

MacPros are made in Holyhill in Cork, I have no idea where the Dell desktops are made .. so that puts a spanner in that argument.

With regards to motors, your attitude probably does not fit well in this forum as it is frequented by people who a passionate about cars see other values as opposed to the car getting from A to B.

My preference for a car is .. performance, spec level and comfort in that order. My wife's preference would be reliability, spec level, comfort, performance.

Everyones tastes and budgets are different which would explain why there is such an array of motors out there to choose from.

As for buying a car and loosing money straight away ... I don't see it like that. I buy a car for the price it is and the cost is the difference between purchase and reselling price. Personally I do like to pay a premium for a car that I know is new, I am the first driver, I know it's history and I dictate its service schedules and how it's driven. Others prefer to buy 10 year old luxuary cars .. therefore getting all the trappings of a top spec with out the price but sacrificing the newer technology, warranties and definitive history.

Branding has been around in the car industry since it's inception and I don't think your post (rant) counters any marketplace experience out there. Unless you are suggesting that anyone who purchases either a new or anything but the cheapest car out there is an idiot and only you and you alone has any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Dell laptops are finished in Raheen and Apple in Cork as previously stated....plus a Lexus is DEFINITIVELY more refined than a Toyota...the VAG cars probably not so much and as for a Merc these days you'd be better of with a Lada

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

craichoe wrote:
    Tesco do the exact same thing and its why they make so much money, its off idiots like you ! i.e. selling products under different brands to target all markets.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't eat Tesco value food, regardless of whether someone's laughing behind my back or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Tesco value orange juice! the only exception!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Any chance that this thread is further trolling in the motors forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

craichoe wrote:
    Seriously, I've seen a few people on here dissing a car because of its name ?

I mean . Why .. I don't get it, theres no basis for it.

VW is better than Skoda and Audi is better than VW ? I mean, you idiots really have fallen for the brand game.

Its the same as a person buying a Dell over Apple, A MacBook pro comes off the EXACT same production line as a Dell Latitude, their manufactured by Quantas, they just tool up to produce a different laptop in a day. Dell make money on Volume, Apple make money on Margin / Lower Volume.

Next time i hear someone say, OH .. OH MY GOD .. Its a Skoda, haha ...

Yes .. Buy a brand new car .. for your .. err .. image.. lose 10% of the Value when you drive it out of the showroom. Pay the overhead for a different Badge :D

Opel Vs Chevrolet Vs Saab Vauxhall ?
    VW Vs Seat Vs Audi Vs Skoda
    Toyota and Lexus

Yes .. Yes .. Car manufacturers are Laughing all the way to the bank, selling you the same stuff with different names .. Excellent

emm right, whatever your on about...:rolleyes:

you obviously dont realise that some cars are better than others?

why do you think some cars are dearer than others? :cool:

answer= because their better cars. no offence but you must be stupid if ya think all cars are built to the same spec, quality and reliability.

lol:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Its the same as a person buying a Dell over Apple, A MacBook pro comes off the EXACT same production line as a Dell Latitude
    Slightly OT, but here goes. Seeing as I know quite a lot about this as it's part of my job, I'd be careful who you call an idiot. Until quite recently, Dell and Apple didn't even use the same chip manufacturer, and then Dell started to use AMD as well. If you hadn't noticed, often people buy Mac's because they like the OS, which isn't Windows, by the way.

Dell manufacture in Raheen, Limerick, and Lodz, Poland*. They don't make anything for anybody else in these locations unlike...(Google 'Dell business model')

...A Bentley Continental shares various bits and bobs with a Phaeton, but do you seriously expect someone who has enough money to buy the Bentley not to because of it's DNA or the mechanical similarities with the VW, i.e. just because the VW is cheaper?

I'll take an RS4 over any VW or Skoda any day, and it's f@ck all to do with the badge :rolleyes:

*= EMEA region

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gatster wrote:
    I'll take an RS4 over any VW or Skoda any day, and it's f@ck all to do with the badge :rolleyes:
    How about a Passat TDI? I hear the 130 is a beast to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stop that! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Although I think the OP is exagerrating and possibly trolling, he/she does have some degree of foundation to their statement.

However this:
    bjmotors wrote:
    why do you think some cars are dearer than others?

answer= because their better cars.
    made me laugh. If you believe this you really are a naive person.

I'll give you an example, the cheapest 'BMW' X3 is €57K, and it is a total heap of KAK

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Anan1
    How about a Passat TDI? I hear the 130 is a beast to go.

No No No - From the Skoda blurb on the new Fabia:
    The engine choice will have you purring too. The new Fabia features 4 petrol and 3 diesel engines, 5 of which are brand new. The petrol engines start with a very capable 1.2 6v 60bhp and go right up to a 1.6 16v 105bhp 6-speed tiptronic – the only 6-speed tiptronic currently available in the Small Car sector
    Ooooo, I'm lightheaded and salivating at the prospect of my 6-Speed tiptronic Fabia. I've asked if I can have a special order 6-Speed tiptronic with the 1.2 16v so I can rag the b@llocks off it in the Superquinn car-park. This has excited me so much I've cancelled that order on a Sprint Blue 420hp RS4. I mean, they're effectively the same car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

whippet wrote:
    MacPros are made in Holyhill in Cork, I have no idea where the Dell desktops are made .. so that puts a spanner in that argument.
    A lot of Dells - desktops, laptops and servers - are assembled in Raheen, Limerick. So there. Oh wait, someone already said that...

I kinda get where the OP is coming from but he's going about it completely arseways. For example the 4 Volkswagen Group brands. IMO I don't see the point in VWs these days - you're pretty much paying extra just for the brand, a brand that aren't as respectable as they once were in terms of reliability and whatever. I'd buy a Skoda over a VW any day. But the Seat and Audi brands are clearly there for different purposes and sell quite different products - Seats are like more sporty looking and stuff (well, some of them), and Audi are clearly for the more upmarket stuff, especially with the likes of the A8 - Skoda and Seat don't make a similar car, and about 5 people have bought a Phaeton apparently. All VG cars may share parts and stuff, but they're by no means all the same thing - except for the VW Caddy and Seat Inca which are fookin identical! :)
    Opel Vs Chevrolet Vs Saab Vauxhall
    The "Chevrolets" we get here are Daewoos - they share very little in common with proper European GM cars. Saab again are clearly aimed at a different market, and despite sharing GM components and platforms they are still largely a different company. Vauxhall is just a region-specific brand - they're not competing with Opel at all in any way.

There are some cases were the branding gets completely retarded, like the Mk IV. Ford Fiesta and the Mazda 121 sold at the same time - besides some bits of plastic they were identical cars, both made in Dagenham in England. Anyone who prefers one of those over the other* seriously needs their head examined.

*I know there were different trim levels, and I don't think the Mazda got the 1.4 and some other engines, but I'm talking comparing say two identical spec cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ninty9er wrote:
    Dell laptops are finished in Raheen and Apple in Cork as previously stated....plus a Lexus is DEFINITIVELY more refined than a Toyota...the VAG cars probably not so much and as for a Merc these days you'd be better of with a Lada

MacPros are assembled in Hollyhill in Cork, xServes too although this will be phased out soon enough.

MacBook Pro, Previously Powerbook are Manufactured by various outsourced manufacturers, Quantas and now Asustek manfacture them also.

Basically the cheapest ass manufacturer they could find.

And how am i trolling .. its true ! ..

One thing i will say for the Irish, for some reason the consensus is that if it costs more its must be better, hence why we've over inflated prices on everything, from houses to digital cameras !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Like zilog_jones I agree with the OP to some extent. If you compare like-with-like, in some cases you really are paying more for the brand.

However that has always been the case all over the world so I see little point with the rant. The same goes for hooded tops, jeans, womens handbags...basically anything with a brand name or an image. It's the way of the world and if the OP can't accept that then that's cool. He will just have to accept that many people buy into this. Just because they do doesn't mean he has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

People love brands. It is a sign of success that you can fork out a few more grand for an A3 instead of a Golf.

If you go into Brown Thomas and look at some of the clothes for sale, the prices would shock you. But people get value from that.

My father has a Rolex. The guy who services it told him that the fake ones keep the time better than the real ones as they have a battery operated quartz mechanism instead of Rolex's self winding mechanism. Nevertheless, he is happier to have the real thing instead of an identical looking watch that tells the time better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I suppose its sad in a way that a lot of people (present company excepted) drive a number-plate rather than a car. Those of us who love the driving experience, are not so bothered by brand names or number plates, but rather the car itself. I drive a Lexus LS400, not because it's an expensive or sought after car; but because I wanted that car in particular. It's a 98, bought recently enough, so I can't be accused of buying brand new (silly idea) just for the number plate.

However Lexus is better than Toyota, they're still made in Japan and Toyota build them to a higher spec, so they have to be better. I wouldn't agree with people who buy a brand new LS400 just for the badge or the number plate, you gotta love the car first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I drive a VW but I'd consider buying a Skoda after seeing their new ad on tv. At least with a Skoda, if it breaks down you can eat it ;)

Gatster wrote:
    Slightly OT, but here goes. Seeing as I know quite a lot about this as it's part of my job, I'd be careful who you call an idiot. Until quite recently, Dell and Apple didn't even use the same chip manufacturer, and then Dell started to use AMD as well. If you hadn't noticed, often people buy Mac's because they like the OS, which isn't Windows, by the way.

Dell manufacture in Raheen, Limerick, and Lodz, Poland*. They don't make anything for anybody else in these locations unlike...(Google 'Dell business model')

...A Bentley Continental shares various bits and bobs with a Phaeton, but do you seriously expect someone who has enough money to buy the Bentley not to because of it's DNA or the mechanical similarities with the VW, i.e. just because the VW is cheaper?

*= EMEA region

Err.... You do know Dell has outsourced 65% of its notebook Production to Quanta right ?
    http://members.forbes.com/global/2001/0402/024.html

I don't understand what significance having PowerPC or x86 in a box would influence production.

Dell have said themselves they outsource a massive amount of stuff to quanta for some time.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/22/dell_signs_quanta_to_make/

And even recently:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/25/quanta-mitac-getting-amd-dell-orders/

Besides, they can tool up a production line in less than a day and assemble whatever type of notebook you want.

Must be part of your Job eh ... what are you a box lifter or something ? :D

craichoe wrote:

And how is this any different to any other products?

Crap thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Pointless pointless thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

well you would say that, being a MINI salesman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ack. Let me take that knife from my back ... ;)

ronoc wrote:
    And how is this any different to any other products?

Crap thread.

Err ... Their quite expensive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

DonJose wrote:
    I drive a VW but I'd consider buying a Skoda after seeing their new ad on tv. At least with a Skoda, if it breaks down you can eat it ;)

May not be a bad purchase I heard the new fabia runs on next years cake based VW Polo engine :p

Err.... You do know Dell has outsourced 65% of its notebook Production to Quanta right ?
    http://members.forbes.com/global/2001/0402/024.html

I don't understand what significance having PowerPC or x86 in a box would influence production.

Dell have said themselves they outsource a massive amount of stuff to quanta for some time.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06...uanta_to_make/

And even recently:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/25/q...d-dell-orders/

Besides, they can tool up a production line in less than a day and assemble whatever type of notebook you want.

Must be part of your Job eh ... what are you a box lifter or something ?

Hmmm. You should read my post properly, you can read p-r-o-p-e-r-l-y, as you seem to have trouble with the way the world works?

*= EMEA region
    For a large concern, such as Dell, their business is split into regions, as I'm sure you know :rolleyes: Any Notebook or Desktop sold in EMEA with a Dell badge since the mid 90's has been built in Limerick and now Lodz, sorry my friend but this is a fact. Laughably, the first two articles are from 2001 - I suppose you have see the full scale of Dell's Asia production since?

Tell you what, I'll send you a PM when I'm out there shortly, 'lifting boxes'.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭maidhc

Gatster wrote:
    For a large concern, such as Dell, their business is split into regions, as I'm sure you know :rolleyes: Any Notebook or Desktop sold in EMEA with a Dell badge since the mid 90's has been built in Limerick and now Lodz, sorry my friend but this is a fact. As a region, demand in AsiaPac grew very quickly, and the logistics of shipping from other regions weren't practical. Dell are addressing the manufacturing situation in AsiaPac as I type.

Dunno, but 1 of my Dell latitutes is a rebadged Samsung and is made in Korea. The Inspiron 1200 also has a lot of interchangeable parts with Quanta, and is probably shipped for final assembly to Ireland. Either way it is undeniable that Apple, HP and Dell customers all get "Quanta" notebooks irrespective of where final assembly takes place.

Anyhow, on topic:- I agree to a large extent with the OP. There is a lot of lightheaded bull spoken in this forum, and elsewhere about how great one car is vis a vis another.

I reckon it has something to do with the 80s when companies like Mercedes really did make cars worth twice the value of your proletarian runabout. Now they don't, but still try to charge the price.

Dunno, but 1 of my Dell latitutes is a rebadged Samsung and is made in Korea. The Inspiron 1200 also has a lot of interchangeable parts with Quanta, and is probably shipped for final assembly to Ireland
    Odd, all mine say made in Ireland. The one you have could be part of the ARB business, which is a different kettle of fish again. All the factories do is assemble the units, they don't make the components, that's the business model (sort of).

Back on topic though, you can't compare entire car manufacturers brand's - as someone stated earlier they serve a different purpose, often with different target demographic. Take the LVMH group if you want another real world example. The Rolex example given earlier is a great one - their may be more accurate fakes for cheaper, but a genuine mechanical Rolex is still a real Rolex.

The best 'luxury' car I've ever been in was a 2005 Lexus LS430. I'd definitely buy (a now second-hand) one over pretty much any other car of similar ilk, and be happy in my over-priced Toyota :p

companies like Mercedes really did make cars worth twice the value of your proletarian runabout. Now they don't, but still try to charge the price.
    This, however, is incredibly true, though I do think they are turning it around very slowly (new S/C class).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

what's with the merc bashing, I have a 00 S320 and it's the most fabulous car I've ever driven and owned, I agree it has nothing on the 07 S or the 07 Lexus LS460 (absolutely beautiful car) but ****s all over the beemer 7 series (my opinion). A few minor electrical glitches but that's it and the usual maintenance stuff they're inexpensive to buy 2nd hand but expensive to run. Unless a 03 Lexus LS absolutely blows me away I'll be having another S (though I'd love an sl) in a few years time.

It may be considered a badge or a prestige car, but it's big, it's safe and I'd much rather have a smack in that than in a Corsa (which is the money I paid for the S)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

A) Should be banned for personal abuse (to everyone)

B) 'They' are not spending your money. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Am I in the wrong section?
    I thought I clicked motors but it seems I am in the computer forum.

Craichoe you obviously seem to know a good deal about computers, so instead of insulting us go back to where you belong: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=907

Advertisement