Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a X car is crap attitude

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

whippet wrote:
    I don't think anyone here will try and say that any car purchase is an investment with the exceptions of some classic cars that will appriciate in value.

Generally cars will loose 40-50% of their value in the first 3 years .. that is called cost of ownership. Some people are willing to pay for it some are not. That is personal choice. Its the same as saying that why pay for a two week carribean cruise when you can get a two week sun holiday in Crete from Budget Travel for a few hundred euro ... 'sure they are both holidays'.

I am willing to pay a premium for driving the car I am driving over the next few years and I do not make any apologies for that. If you personally feel that you would prefer to have your hard earned money sitting in a bank account fair enough, I work hard and like to spend my hard earned money on things I like and a lifestyle I like while saving prudently.

The more and more you talk about cars the less and less credible you are on this forum. You have no interest in motors by the tone of your posts. It would be like me getting on to the computer forum and dissing anyone who pays extra for fancy graphics cards.

In relation to your posts about the differences between the VAG group products. You seem to think that all the models are the same Leon, Golf, A3, Ocatvia ... you obviously have never compared them in reality. I was going to consider the Leon Cupra when I was looking at the GTi. It was cheaper, same engine etc ... I test drove it in the UK and it was quiet clearly a cheaper car. it had a little more power, lower quality interior, less refinment, not as sharp handling so I decided the GTi was the better motor and hence bought it.

From your post, you are of the opinion that I am an idiot and a brand monkey. Which couldn't be further from the truth. I could have bought an entry level 3-series for a few quid more, or an Audi A4 but the car I bought was the one I wanted.

I would ask you is it just cars and computers that you have a problem with people spending money on or do you like to srimp and save on everything, clothes, shoes, food, entertainment, booze, holidays, home furnishings, gifts .... do you enjoy a night out in the pub, where you can easily drop 40quid into the till and get nothing to take home with you .... I just don't get people like you !!!

The build quality on the Golf, Octavia, Leon and Audi A3 are the same, the same faults appear, the same parts go into them. Until VAG start coding parts that will not change.

I've bought the parts myself !

I'd driven
    The Audi A3 1.9TDI
    Mk4 Golf 1.4 L Petrol
    Audi S3 2.0 Litre Turbo 4WD (The 4 wheel drive made it grip and grip and grip)
    Seat Leon 1.4 Litre
    Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI

The cars sold in this country are sold without extras by default and are overpriced, a Audi and VW Cars are well overpriced on the second hand market. The Audi S3 was wickedly priced.

I take offense to your post about graphics cards .... please explain what this is and how i can get one, if their fancy they must be worth getting.

I don't have a problem with someone dropping 40 - 50 k on a performance car that they can afford to bring on track days, service it and keep a set of road legal tyres on it.

Its the people that drop 40 - 50 k on a car, don't bother servicing it, get it on hire purchase, and drive around with bald tires.

Afaik, the difference between a Standard Leon and the Cupra are, besides the power, is harder springs and a 2.5 turning circle on the Steering rack as opposed to 3. Which .. is the same steering rack that goes into the A3, Octavia and Golf that VAG had a warranty extension for.

Bottom line, their all the same, all based on the Golf MK4 Platform, all with the same parts. Only difference on the Octavia is Drums on the back as opposed to disks on Leon.

Just the other day a girl told me she had "bought" a BMW X3, a few hours later i found out she "bought" it on hire purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

craichoe wrote:
    The build quality on the Golf, Octavia, Leon and Audi A3 are the same, the same faults appear, the same parts go into them. Until VAG start coding parts that will not change.

I've bought the parts myself !

I'd driven
    The Audi A3 1.9TDI
    Mk4 Golf 1.4 L Petrol
    Audi S3 2.0 Litre Turbo 4WD (The 4 wheel drive made it grip and grip and grip)
    Seat Leon 1.4 Litre
    Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI

The cars sold in this country are sold without extras by default and are overpriced, a Audi and VW Cars are well overpriced on the second hand market. The Audi S3 was wickedly priced.

I take offense to your post about graphics cards .... please explain what this is and how i can get one, if their fancy they must be worth getting.

I don't have a problem with someone dropping 40 - 50 k on a performance car that they can afford to bring on track days, service it and keep a set of road legal tyres on it.

Its the people that drop 40 - 50 k on a car, don't bother servicing it, get it on hire purchase, and drive around with bald tires.

Afaik, the difference between a Standard Leon and the Cupra are, besides the power, is harder springs and a 2.5 turning circle on the Steering rack as opposed to 3. Which .. is the same steering rack that goes into the A3, Octavia and Golf that VAG had a warranty extension for.

Bottom line, their all the same, all based on the Golf MK4 Platform, all with the same parts. Only difference on the Octavia is Drums on the back as opposed to disks on Leon.

Just the other day a girl told me she had "bought" a BMW X3, a few hours later i found out she "bought" it on hire purchase.

you seem to be totally missing the point. I give up !!!

Now your problem is with people who cant afford expensive cars!!!! I think I will stop now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Craichoe has been exposed as a troll on the Octavia vs Mondeo thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

craichoe wrote:
    Err ... Their quite expensive ?

Err.... They're / They are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

And? How long is the HP agreement, she might own it outright in two years. Most people don't have €40-50k sitting in their bank account that they can just spend on a car. They may have a good job and love cars, so get a loan or finance to make the balance up. Like whippet, I'm going to stop now feeding the troll now. There is so much wrong in your posts, I just can't be arsed after this :cool:

• Advertisement

Haha .. Hire Purchase is an Insane financial agreement, a loan works out far cheaper.

I remember doing that 15 years ago in school

Its all the same:

People in this country:
    A. Spend money on a car they can't afford
    B. Spend extra because of a brand i.e. they are image conscious and scoff at a brand of the same build quality and performance but cost less.

I'd buy a BMW, but just cannot see why someone would buy an Audi over a Golf ... They're the same car, Drive a A3 1.4 and a Golf 1.4, if you think theres a difference you are deluding yourself.

The Apple thing was quite significant because it is one of the most successful brand images in the world for the image conscious. Any serious business uses Dell because its not image related. But the products are essentially the same.

I guess you don't have to feed the troll .. just feed your image conscious bruised ego instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Someone please lock this.....

Yes .. Please do.. Please do .. before they get upset

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

craichoe wrote:
    Haha .. Hire Purchase is an Insane financial agreement, a loan works out far cheaper.

I remember doing that 15 years ago in school

Hire purchase is just a loan from a seller. Some sellers are going to offer more competitive rates than others. HP agreements today tend to be a lot more competitive than they were 15 years ago when credit was harder to come by, and shops were just acting as dressed up loan sharks.

And yes, please lock the thread. The trolling is getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

craichoe wrote:
    Yes .. Please do.. Please do .. before they get upset

so .. tell us how the mondeo felt to drive that you were sitting in ? before it was even launched to the industry !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Before the difference between the brands wasn’t much. now there is a significant difference between the interior of a VAG Audi/Seat VW/Skoda unit , not any difference in quality as they are all quality built but there is a difference between the interior/exterior design, which appeals to different people, from different walks of life, sh*t happens.

whippet wrote:
    so .. tell us how the mondeo felt to drive that you were sitting in ? before it was even launched to the industry !!

Did you even read the thread ?

Stark wrote:
    Hire purchase is just a loan from a seller. Some sellers are going to offer more competitive rates than others. HP agreements today tend to be a lot more competitive than they were 15 years ago when credit was harder to come by, and shops were just acting as dressed up loan sharks.

And yes, please lock the thread. The trolling is getting tiresome.

It costs more than a loan because you paying for the Hire on top of the Purchase price of whatever your buying, comparing the APR of a Loan to a Hire-Purchase isn't the same because the APR is for the Finance not the Hire.

And yes please lock this thread, obviously these people are getting upset .. didn't realise there was so many sensitive people out there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

craichoe wrote:
    People in this country:

Do you really believe that this does not happen in every modern country in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im quite impressed he has managed to get 4 pages out of this.....

I dont see why your so angry about other people spending money, your happy with your run-around, so stop giving out.

Do you really believe that this does not happen in every modern country in the world?

Go to Germany, they buy cars on performance, features and reliability and will either purchase or lease it.
    Irish people go on Brand and Image and will usually purchase on credit.

Im quite impressed he has managed to get 4 pages out of this.....

I dont see why your so angry about other people spending money, your happy with your run-around, so stop giving out.

I'm not angry at all and i dont see what anyone would get angry on a forum :rolleyes:

Will someone lock the thread .. this is getting a bit sad .. as this guy said its 4 pages .. clearly people just don't know how to take anything objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

craichoe wrote:
    It costs more than a loan because you paying for the Hire on top of the Purchase price of whatever your buying, comparing the APR of a Loan to a Hire-Purchase isn't the same because the APR is for the Finance not the Hire.

HP is more expensive than a loan if the APR is the same, yes. That's not to say your friend didn't get a better APR rate than she would from her bank though. I did a quick check, for me to purchase a Nissan car under hire purchase from Nissan, would cost me almost exactly the same as getting a loan from my bank. That's before I haggle with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The engine choice will have you purring too. The new Fabia features 4 petrol and 3 diesel engines, 5 of which are brand new. The petrol engines start with a very capable 1.2 6v 60bhp and go right up to a 1.6 16v 105bhp 6-speed tiptronic – the only 6-speed tiptronic currently available in the Small Car sector

Now that I'd buy!

A car with seven engines would be even quicker than a Passat Tdi! Add in the flexibility of a choice of fuels and the automatic transmission and it just gets sweeter. I just wonder how many miles are on the two older engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

craichoe wrote:

I'd buy a BMW, but just cannot see why someone would buy an Audi over a Golf ... They're the same car, Drive a A3 1.4 and a Golf 1.4, if you think theres a difference you are deluding yourself.

The main difference between the A3 1.4 and the Golf 1.4 is that the Golf actually exists

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

craichoe wrote:
    The Apple thing was quite significant because it is one of the most successful brand images in the world for the image conscious. Any serious business uses Dell because its not image related. But the products are essentially the same.

Now you're talking ****e, any serious business uses dell? Dell is a high volume, low value, basic work machine that feeds the masses. Nothing more than that. If you want to buy a comparable machine to ANY apple look at the price and then see who's overpriced eh?

I personally drive a 6 year old merc S320, I love it, bought from the heart more than the mind, if I was sensible I'd be driving a 1ltr corsa diesel with low running costs and low maintenance costs but the reason I drive the merc.

CHOICE it's something we all have.

I also have 5 macs at home, 1 Dell cheapo laptop and one homebuilt PC, my workhorse of choice is my soon to be changed G5 Dual 2ghz.

I also manage both locally a remotely about 100 macs and a good few PC installations and definitely wouldn't be buying Dell, HP are the largest computer manufacturer in the world can ya buy one for sub 300 euro I think not.

I have tried and tried to avoid this thread but by jayziz craic you talk some ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement