Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning Diplomas - worth it?

Options
  • 31-05-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had done a diploma through Kilroys College in Dublin, or a similar distance learning course?

I keep going back to it...it seems like a quick, cheap way to earn ac oveted "piece of paper", and work are willing to pay for it. Along with the fact that I am going bananas with nothing to do at the moment.

If anyone has any experience with these type of courses, or what your opinion is regarding whether the qualification is recognised or not, I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You have to ask yourself how highly are these types of diplomas held?

Personally, I wouldn't say very highly.

I could award you a diploma in the morning. I think you would be better looking for a recognised qualification that is properly accredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As Tom said. If you want to get a diploma, maybe you should look at one that is more widely recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Aye, I suppose you really do get what you paid for in the end. I know myself I couldn't stick a 4 year degree course (been there, done that) but it's kind of hard to convince prospective employers that you have the skills to do the job out of sheer persuasive ability, without something to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Don't forget the Institutes of Technology do 2- and 3-year courses too. You can then, if you want, go on to do the 4th year and get the honours degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I have the diploma in adult psychology from Kilroy's and I would even wipe my arse with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Have you considered the OU. You can get a cert in less than a year and you can build on it up to a degree at your leisure if you want to keep going. I can't recommend them highly enough.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/classifications/business_and_management.shtm

Advertisement