Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom - previous tenant owes them money

Options
  • 31-05-2007 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I post in the wrong forum - found find the logical board for this question.

A friend who newly moved house, wanted to get an eircom landline, but eircom said that the previous tenant owes them money, and they won't let anyone get a landline at that address until the old account is cleared... To me, this sounds RIDICULOUS to say the least.. Is this really true?? Is eircom allowed to do like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

eircon do what they like........get a different phone company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

*mono* wrote:
    eircon do what they like........get a different phone company

Will that be a feasible workaround? I thought all companies were using the eircom infrastrucuture, even if you can get all billing from third-party companies? So what you're saying is eircom won't interfere and companies such as Perlico etc, for the outstanding balance on that specific address?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Don't ask me where I got this, but I don't think Eircom can hold a person responsible for the debt of a previous tenant. I know when I moved in to my place, the previous guy had buggered off to Australia owing Bord Gais a small fortune, but all they wanted off me was a letter from the landlord.

Similarly, one of my housemates unknowingly left a flat a few years ago owing Chorus a month, but it was written off. Even when she went to get Chorus at her new place, they didn't make her pay it back.

What about a letter from the landlord stating that it's a different tenant in the house? I mean, if that truly was the case, half the country would be denied a service in rented accomodation because of the actions of previous tenants. Maybe he could ask Eircom that short of kneecapping the previous guy, what procedure could he follow to "validate" him instead?

Advertisement