Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW and Clearwire

Options
  • 31-05-2007 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭

After months and months of pestering from a friend I've finally decided to get this game.

Unfortunately I have a Clearwire broadband connection.

Anyone else play over a Clearwire connection?

Do you get good ping times and does it lag?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im on 3 meg DSL myself so no lag,i know some who play on 56k fine.
    A few months back our local exchange was overloaded and pings were terrible and unplayable for games,however wow and other MMOs were totally playable even at 400+ ms at the time,now im getting 40-80 ms constant.
    MMOs dont require huge bandwidth and are a lot more forgiving than pretty much any genre.
    Id say you will be fine,why not checkout the 14 day trial first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dcully wrote:
    Im on 3 meg DSL myself so no lag,i know some who play on 56k fine.
    A few months back our local exchange was overloaded and pings were terrible and unplayable for games,however wow and other MMOs were totally playable even at 400+ ms at the time,now im getting 40-80 ms constant.
    MMOs dont require huge bandwidth and are a lot more forgiving than pretty much any genre.
    Id say you will be fine,why not checkout the 14 day trial first?

I was going to, but it was a 57 hour download!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Clearwire, Irish Broadband .....theyre useless :eek:

Eircom ftw:D

Else get Ntl or whats that other company...offers 8meg ?...ahhh...cant think.

Trust me when I say Clearwire was an absolute last resort.

NTL is not in the area and the DSL packages don't work on my line because of the way it is split.

The landlord won't approve of any antenna being attached to the house so that rules out some of the decent wireless packages.

Smart might work because it is ADSL2 which is more tolerant of bad lines, but they were in a lot of trouble when I moved in, so I'm now stuck with Clearwire for the next few months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I personally wouldnt recommend it. I had it in Carlow, and it was woeful. Heres a screenshot of the types i lag i frequently got :eek:

wowscrnshot102006223939cn3.th.jpg

Although i was at the very edge of their coverage, so its probably nowhere near as bad for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Not on Clearwire (they didn't exist when I got my connection in) but I have been using IBB for the last 3 years (playing WoW over it for the last two) with very few issues - think I've had problems perhaps 4-5 times in that period so I'm very satisfied.

Might as well use this thread instead of starting another one.

Do you get 30 days free or anything when you buy the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

You do indeed get a free month subscription included in the price of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

I played on clearwire and its 'ok' as long as you arent raiding.

but the lag spikes were common and a ping of about 300ms was average if not good for clearwire.

TBH I was so happy when I cancelled my clearwire account and went back to normal DSL when I moved home. Avoid if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

I personally wouldnt recommend it. I had it in Carlow, and it was woeful. Heres a screenshot of the types i lag i frequently got

I'd say the game must've been barely playable at that! I remember when my man went away he had to play on a 56k modem while I was on a Chorus broadband line. Whe we were out walking he'd lag a long way behind then suddenly appear in front of me. Can't even imagine how it was for him! :rolleyes:

But, anyhow, a little late now, but to OP, if the free trial download was too large, you can actually borrow the game of a friend and install it. When you register for a free trial it gives you a code, just put that in when it asks for the verification. The code is used to verify your account as being a trial/full account when you first install the game, but isn't individual for the actual disk. Just a tip if you ever want to hook anyone else or something. ;)

As for Clearwire, I have personally heard only bad things about it and stayed clear (no pun intended, I swear!) of it even when it was my only option.

I'm personally with Eircom now which I think is the best (and they don't even really record how much you actually download per month!), last place I stayed we finally got Chorus as an alternative to Clearwire. This was when Chorus just started offering Broadband, the connection was good but it had a lot of downtime at that stage. Not sure what it's like now though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement