Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Trading

Options
  • 31-05-2007 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Was wondering if anybody can reccomend the best site to do a bit of online trading, best rates etc. Just looking to throw in a few hundred here and there now and again.

Any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You haven't said what you want to trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I would like to know as well - shares is what I want to buy...in a company listed on AIM and IEX(I think?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

buying and selling stocks etc

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

are there sites where you can buy X share at 9.05am for $1.000 and then at 9.06am sell X share for 1.004 if it goes up. Basically a trading floor on your computer? is this what "sharewatch" is?

(extreme novice here, but doing some reading)

i dont want to buy some shares and leave them for a prolonged period of time. I'm looking to buy sell buy sell buy sell frequently. but dont want to be stung for a huge % fee everytime. anyone know anyhting about doing that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

ditpoker wrote:
    are there sites where you can buy X share at 9.05am for $1.000 and then at 9.06am sell X share for 1.004 if it goes up. Basically a trading floor on your computer? is this what "sharewatch" is?
    Sounds like financial spreadbetting might be your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Sounds like financial spreadbetting might be your thing.

im off to google financial spread betting!!! wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

don't think its that easy mate, for spreadbetting i think you need €20,000 minimum in your account

First thing to figure out is on what exchanges you wish to trade - not all stockbrokers provide access to all exchanges e.g. US stockbrokers will usually not give you access to the IEX or ISEQ (although many Irish companies are quoted on US exchanges).

From there you will know which stockbrokers you can use, after that it's up to you as to what you prefer - research access, service levels, price etc.

There's nothing stopping you having accounts with multiple stockbrokers, but beware inactivity fees.

If you're only investing small amounts at a time (i.e. hundreds), you should really look into investing in funds rather than individual shares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Where would you guys recommend for investing in Irish Shares? Best site for easy use and low costs?

Also, A Random Walk, i was just reading what you said about investing in funds. I have a regular saving amount that goes into a fund every month but i'm thinking of investing some money in shares aswell. It'll prob be small to start with. Is it worth it?

Investing in funds is investing in shares (usually). A fund is simply a basket of shares, and when you buy a unit in a fund you are buying a small % of each share.

The thing about investing in individual shares is that there are trading costs (ask your stockbroker/bank). You'd usually need to invest a minimum of perhaps 1500/2k in each shares to make it worth your while.

If someone is only starting investing, I'd usually suggest they invest in funds until such time as they have built up a goodly sum, then they should consider individual shares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

i dont want to buy some shares and leave them for a prolonged period of time. I'm looking to buy sell buy sell buy sell frequently. but dont want to be stung for a huge % fee everytime. anyone know anyhting about doing that!?
    If you're using the US stock brokers you get a discount if you are a frequent trader and it's not a %, it's a flat fee.

One good thing about spreadbetting is that you don't have to pay Capital Gains Tax... which is more relevant now since the Green Party wants to increase it and are currently in negotiations with Fianna Fail :mad:

Advertisement