Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 31-05-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfmhkfqloj/

Why do commercial vehicles pay only €50 VRT? Is this an EU-wide practice or enforced by the EU or is it a major f***ing tax break for businesses while the average person gets ripped off?

(Either way it's a major f***ing tax break but I'm just wondering why it's set up that way and who set it up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

"Cars involved include Jaguar and Maserati models" - What Maserati/Jaguar could you convert to a van??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

:D:D You have to have some neck to try and import a Maserati as a van!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfmhkfqloj/

Why do commercial vehicles pay only €50 VRT? Is this an EU-wide practice or enforced by the EU or is it a major f***ing tax break for businesses while the average person gets ripped off?

(Either way it's a major f***ing tax break but I'm just wondering why it's set up that way and who set it up)

VRT is against EU law so I doubt that they condone it. I'd say that they pay the lower rate of VRT as the vehicle would be required for buisness use. There is also the fact that it's mainly for HGV/LGVs and if these where VRT'ed at normal rates then the costs would be huge and we'd have no transport industry. People are just making use of the loop holes in the policy to use in on 4x4s and cars, according to the article. The goverment should close the the loopholes that allow "small" vehicles to qualify so easy.

Also don't forget if they made business pay VRT at the same rate as Joe Public then the price of things goes up, no business practice would except a higher charge and not pass it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rickybutcher

Del2005 wrote:
    VRT is against EU law so I doubt that they condone it. I'd say that they pay the lower rate of VRT as the vehicle would be required for buisness use. There is also the fact that it's mainly for HGV/LGVs and if these where VRT'ed at normal rates then the costs would be huge and we'd have no transport industry. People are just making use of the loop holes in the policy to use in on 4x4s and cars, according to the article. The goverment should close the the loopholes that allow "small" vehicles to qualify so easy.

Also don't forget if they made business pay VRT at the same rate as Joe Public then the price of things goes up, no business practice would except a higher charge and not pass it on.

I agree if large vehicles were taxed proportionally a company would need NASAs quarterly budget to fund it as it's an extortionate amount they charge. But they could at least pay something towards it. Not absolutely nothing. It's a joke. No doubt FF's friends in the building industry benefit greatly from this.

Does anybody know if they ever had to pay VRT? I'm going to search myself on google but I'd like to know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

fletch wrote:
    "Cars involved include Jaguar and Maserati models" - What Maserati/Jaguar could you convert to a van??? :confused:
    Don't know about a fradulent "van conversion" but there was a Maserati in Galway for quite some time on English plates that probably wasn't on holiday here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's a joke. No doubt FF's friends in the building industry benefit greatly from this.

Probably not seeing as it was FG that vrought it in in the first place iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote:
    Don't know about a fradulent "van conversion" but there was a Maserati in Galway for quite some time on English plates that probably wasn't on holiday here.

Those tax avoiding baxtards! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

They now want you pps number when you are vrting your car, whats that all about???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

NBar wrote:
    They now want you pps number when you are vrting your car, whats that all about???

VRTing a car or a van, can see why if VRTing a van, but why a car?
    did happen to me a few months ago, did it happen lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NBar wrote:

Could be a way for Revenue to keep tabs on those who import multiple cars, sell them on and don't declare the profit as income.

• Advertisement
Advertisement