Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecology Help!

Options
  • 31-05-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Okay the story is we did our ecology study really quickly last week. I got a few sheets and understand most of it. But could someone help me with one or two questions? thanks!

We did it in a field with Grass, Buttercups, Daisys, Clovers and Dandilions.
    The animals were Centapide, Woodlouse, Beetle, Greenfly and Worm(I think?)

What would be the abiotic factors affecting the plants? - Would that be soil PH or water content?(so confused!)

What would be the biotic factors affecting the animals? - Maybe bacteria?

Help greatly appreciated!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

What would be the abiotic factors affecting the plants? - Would that be soil PH or water content?(so confused!)

the abiotic factors include humidity, soil pH, aspect, steepness of slope

What would be the biotic factors affecting the animals? - Maybe bacteria?

The biotic factors would be food, competition, parisitism, humans (can create new habitats and can pollute the environment)

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Is this in geoecology??? because i have never heard of any of this stuff...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Nope it's just ecology. Biotic factor is a LIVING factor and abiotic is an UNLIVING factor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's part of Biology. I LOVE ecology. Woo, bound to come up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Did ye actually carry out this experiment?! We jus took everythin off overheads and out of the book!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

ya it was a bit of waste of time though. Thanks for the help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

we didnt even do the ecology study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We have the soccer pitch right outside the door out of the "lab". So it's down as 'meadow'. Found a few buttercups and daisies and threw quadrats around..then counted every internal corner of the string squares of the quadrat...quantitative study I think..Then name 5 organisms and 5 plants in the habitat..blahh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

We went to that zoo thing in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Nehpets wrote:
    We went to that zoo thing in cork

You are so lucky we did a patch of grass in the school. Do tayto bags count as abiotic factor?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Basically what you need to know from the ecology experiements are as follows:

Measurement of three abiotic factors: soil moisture, humus content, soil ph etc.

Quantative survey: one method is sufficient i.e calculating percentage frequency using quadrat method. The quadrat method is really only suitable for plants because animals move.

For animals the easiest quantative survey method is the capture re-capture method.

Qualitative Survey: a key for identifying animals and plants.

Thats basically it. On the topic of ecology I have a question for people who are more senior than me because im only in 4th year and ecology is the only thing we did during the year.

Our summer exam consisted of 2 leaving certificate section C questions on ecology. I wrote this for the definition for a quantative survey:

An ecological study of all the organisms present in the ecosystem.

And I recieved no marks because I said all organisms instead of TYPES od organisms. All and types are the same to me. Im kind of baffled???

Any comments....

You are so lucky we did a patch of grass in the school. Do tayto bags count as abiotic factor?:D

Tayto bags would count as an abiotic factor as it is an external influence of an organism by the non living component (which is the tayto bag) of its enviornment. wooooo!!!! lol

Might be dodgy to write in the exam though so I think you should keep to your soil ph etc. lol:D

Anybody at home?

Anybody home?

Advertisement