Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6630 Won't Charge in America

• 31-05-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the states at the moment and my battery is dead on my Nokia 6630. When I try and use my charger (using a plug adapter of course) it does nothing. I tried my friends charger and the same thing.

Does andyone know what the problem could be

Would an American Nokia charger work, or would it fudge up the battery and what not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Last time I was in the US my charger wouldnt work for some reason with an adaptor. I just bought a Nokia charger over there and it worked fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Hi,

I am in the states at the moment and my battery is dead on my Nokia 6630. When I try and use my charger (using a plug adapter of course) it does nothing. I tried my friends charger and the same thing.

Does andyone know what the problem could be

Would an American Nokia charger work, or would it fudge up the battery and what not.

I've seen this a couple of times. Friend of mine couldn't charge using their charger, but could using mine. Turned out mine was dual voltage, 110/220v and hers was only 220v. If the voltage is different it won't charge even with a simple plug adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

amby666 wrote:
    I've seen this a couple of times. Friend of mine couldn't charge using their charger, but could using mine. Turned out mine was dual voltage, 110/220v and hers was only 220v. If the voltage is different it won't charge even with a simple plug adapter.
    the op should consider himself lucky that nokia considered this if it is only 220V. the phone could have gone up in smoke otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Mine worked when i went to vegas and chicago.I had no problems and my father had no problems with his charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yeah it is strange but it must be that the charger wasn't dual voltage, as I was able to charge it last summer in Canada, with a different charger that I brought.

Anyways, I just shelled out for a US charger.
    the op should consider himself lucky that nokia considered this if it is only 220V. the phone could have gone up in smoke otherwise

Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

Yeah it is strange but it must be that the charger wasn't dual voltage, as I was able to charge it last summer in Canada, with a different charger that I brought.

Anyways, I just shelled out for a US charger.

Relax.
    lol :)

Relax.
    i've seen it happen quite a bit. you relax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

laughing as I type this..:D

Any way the voltage in the North Ameriaca is 120 v (actually between 100v and 127v) so a 220 V european chager wouldnt be quite at home... Plugging in to lower voltage (ie Our chargers to their mains)wouldnt make a phone burn up .. but pluggin a US 120-volt electrical appliance designed for use in North America or Japan will provide a nice fireworks display - complete with sparks and smoke - if plugged into a European socket

The US seems not to have evolved from the 50s and 60s, and still copes with problems as light bulbs that burn out rather quickly when they are close to the transformer (too high a voltage), or just the other way round: not enough voltage at the end of the line (105 to 127 volt spread !).

Edit:Note that currently all new American buildings get in fact 240 volts split in two 120 between neutral and hot wire. Major appliances, such as virtually all drying machines and ovens, are now connected to 240 volts. Americans who have European equipment shouldn't connect it to these outlets. Although it may work on some appliances, it will definitely not be the case for all of your equipment. The reason for this is that in the US 240 V is two-phase, whereas in Europe it is single phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

i've seen it happen quite a bit. you relax

Ok sir.

Ok sir.
    that's better. i am a commander after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

The ACP-7X charger says 230V, ACP-12X and AC-3X 100-240V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

JohnnieM wrote:
    The US seems not to have evolved from the 50s and 60s, and still copes with problems as light bulbs that burn out rather quickly when they are close to the transformer (too high a voltage), or just the other way round: not enough voltage at the end of the line (105 to 127 volt spread !).

Edit:Note that currently all new American buildings get in fact 240 volts split in two 120 between neutral and hot wire. Major appliances, such as virtually all drying machines and ovens, are now connected to 240 volts. Americans who have European equipment shouldn't connect it to these outlets. Although it may work on some appliances, it will definitely not be the case for all of your equipment. The reason for this is that in the US 240 V is two-phase, whereas in Europe it is single phase.
    The original reason for using 110/115/120 VAC was for saftey concerns. It would make a lot of sense if they, and Japan, all upgraded their systems to use 230/240V, but it would be incredibly difficult and costly.

I dont think anywhere uses two-phase. They either use 3-phase, split-phase or single-phase depending on the location and demand.
    In America they split the 240V into two 120V feeds at the transformer, and run both to the home, where they want 240V, they just join the two "lives" together to give you single-phase 240V.

All the recent nokia handsets have been shipping with travel adaptors, and you can get them in most phone shops, they are incredibly handy, all you need with them is a plug adaptor for it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Putting two 120 v lives together is two phase...

Advertisement