Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing passwords in sql server

Options
  • 31-05-2007 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im creating a small app that will enable the user to login once their account has been created. If they have forgotten their password they will be able to get it sent to their email address.

What is the best way to store a password in a db ?

If i hash the password will i be able to email it to the user if they forget it ?

What about encryption, is this easy to implement ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

grahamor wrote:
    If i hash the password will i be able to email it to the user if they forget it ?
    No. But passwords should never be sent by email anyway.

What you should do in the case of a forgotten password is point the user to a form that allows them to change the password. You will needs to take additional details in order to verify that it is the user in question - the infamous "secret question". This has the inenviable job of being secret enough that nobody but the user will be able to answer it, but not so difficult that the user will forget. You'll have a fun time trying to pick that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you are using SQL Server 2005, it has built in encryption using 3DES (I think).

If it's SQL server 2000 you need to get a third party app or do it yourself before storing the password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

MD5 hashing would be ok to use, if it is a small enough app

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Message Digest is one way encryption so once encrpyted it cannot be decrypted - hense the server cannot email out the password.

What should be done like Aiden said is a secret question and once they answer this correctly, they get to change their password.

Of course you could get the server to change the password and send out the non encrypted version to the user by email but that wouldn't be the recommended way.

Advertisement