Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen help needed!

Options
  • 31-05-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

We're building a house at the moment.the plan is to live in it for a few years and then sell it. we are building to a budget but so far havent skimped on anything, best of insulation etc. its time to pick the kitchen and dont know what way to go. is it best to spend money on it and hope it enhances the house for sale. or is it better to go for something less expensive because people will end up taking it out and putting in their own anyway.
    At the moment we really like a walnut kitchen with cream worktop and cream floor tiles. its a nice bright kitchen and we think it would look really well. or would it date too quickly or would something this dark not necessarily be to other people's tastes.
    Is it worth investing in cream granite/quartz. if we go walnut, teh choice of ordinary worktops (in pale colours) is pretty terrible.

any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You'll probably get a better response in DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

I think for resale, you should consider having a reasonably good finish to your kitchen. I dont think this means spending a fortune on it. I would consider the plan of your kitchen in terms of where you place things to be more important that spending a fortune on real wood/ granite finishes

As for the granite worktops- I think investment in this type of work top would depend on who you think you are going to sell the house to; what Sarah Beeney calls your target market. If you are building a large family house (the final home/ long term home) I would be tempted to go for granite.

We recently redid our kitchen. bought the units from cash&carry- we bought the worktop elsewhere though- I felt they didnt have a great range of worktops, and there are LOADS of places with better selection were you can purchase your worktop seperately. This wasnt too much hassle either, as the contractors that cash&carry recommended installed both together.

One last thing- although this is just a matter of personal taste, I prefer lighter units and darker worktops and floors... I think its easier to keep "clean". hope this helps.

Advertisement