Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moralising On Personal Issues

Options
  • 31-05-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

There seems to be a lot of people who chime in to the Personal Issues forum with comments that are no more insightful and helpful than "you're a very bad person, shame on you". It causes some small arguments and maybe, maybe, the admins would think about stamping down on it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Two things you can do:
    • Report the post
    • Post up examples of what you are talking about

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Would you like to give us some links to the comments you are talking about?
    Also,
    There is a 'report this post' icon, I don't believe you've used it.

/edit
    jeez Gordie, get outta me head!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Unless there's a problem with the moderation of the forum it's left to the (s/c)mods, not really the Admins (though Admins have of course got the final word).

Although I don't go into PI very often I am sure these type of judgemental comments are frowned upon. You could PM one of the mods and discuss it with them though I'm sure they'll discuss here too.

Edit/ see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The report post button is report.gif incase you were unaware of it, it will alert the moderators of the forum so action can be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And Ruu misses the 15:57 connected brain challenge train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

D'oh. *hands over mod credits* :(

Ruu wrote:
    D'oh. *hands over mod credits* :(

I'll take those
    seeyabyetnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If people post looking for an opinion, then they're going to get one.

TBH, it's tough to define what is useful advice and what isn't when the question can be vague and all over the place.

For example,

"I find my younger sister very attractive and I'd like to start a sexual relationship with her. What do people think?".

"That's disgusting! You sicken me! You should be arrested!".

While the comment isn't advice per se, it may prove useful for the OP in gauging what kind of reaction to expect elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Something you wanna tell us Seamus?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

seamus wrote:

TBH, it's tough to define what is useful advice and what isn't when the question can be vague and all over the place.

For example,

"I find my younger sister very attractive and I'd like to start a sexual relationship with her. What do people think?".

While the comment isn't advice per se, it may prove useful for the OP in gauging what kind of reaction to expect elsewhere.

QFT!

Theres some kind of moral in every opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Something you wanna tell us Seamus?!
    Yes. I would like to categorically state that I do not have a younger sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

seamus wrote:

For example,

I don't think I'm ever going to look at you in the same light if thats the first example that popped into your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I have to say that seamus's sister would get "it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

When it comes to what is seen as the traditonal christian morals there are still people how consider them to be the 'norm' and those who do not have that set or moral or conform to them as being well wrong.

IT can be hard to get dispassionate advice from anyone, but if you feel that a post if unhelpful please do use the report post fucntion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I think you have to be careful on stamping down on moralising.

If you stop somene saying "jeez thats disgusting", then you got to stop someone "saying jeez thats great".

you lead yourself wide open to accusations of bias, so its a no win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Asok wrote:

She has the right kind of mind for computers and networking?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Asok wrote:
    Erm ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The answer is simple, post your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seamus wrote:
    I find my younger sister very attractive and I'd like to start a sexual relationship with her. What do people think?
    Take it to PI, tbh:D

=-=

OP, helpfull or not, comments like the one's you dislike are what PI sometimes needs. Too often people come on thinking they're the victim cos they stole their best friends bf, and now everyone hates her... only to get abused, not smypathy. And some of the time, as they see the infomation from an unbiased view, they see that yes, they may have been wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

There seems to be a lot of people who chime in to the Personal Issues forum with comments that are no more insightful and helpful than "you're a very bad person, shame on you". It causes some small arguments and maybe, maybe, the admins would think about stamping down on it?
    Your problem is that you're taking PI too seriously.

The main issue is that most of the posters on PI want a certain type of advice to be offered i.e in response to a hypothetical question "Does my ass look big in this?" the only "correct" response is "No, of course not dear" instead of a possibly far more valid "Well if you didn't eat 20 Big Macs a day then you wouldn't have an ass the size of Neptune".

PI essentially is political correctness gone mad. It's quite rare to get common sense, rational replies as most people offer "advice" which is really just how they themselves would want to be treated in the given situation. Whether this is of any actual help to the OP is only a secondary consideration.

As for reporting the moralising posts - why would anyone waste their time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

that leads to a couple of questions.

what is the definition of 'insightful and useful'
    and come to think of it, whose definition are we going to use.
    will that definition include the fact that some people think that only opinions they agree with are useful?

and also, when you put something up on a bullitan board, are you not opening yourself to all opinions?
    perhaps the problem isnt with the opinions or moralizing going on, but with the intolerance of the users who feel that these opinions are out of place?

shouldnt this really be discussed inthe philosophy forum?

krazy_8s wrote:
    I don't think I'm ever going to look at you in the same light if thats the first example that popped into your head.

Fear not. It was the second example that popped into his head.
    The first one would have seen him site banned for ever an' ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Deepblue:

PI should be taken seriously, it very much depends on the threa, to you it maybe simple to sove but to teh OP it is an issue.

You are right in that people have a fixed image of the advice they want in certain circumstances, and they don't always get it. Thats to the good, if they get upset fine as long as the post wasn't abusive etc, it might make em think.

As wwm said, you put your issue up on a noticeboard you get whatever people think. It up to you what you listen to. But frequently when somen quetsions the OP, then little facts emerge which alter the whole thing.

As for the poor advice thing, well i would disagree, there is some excellent advice, and on certain threads frequently 100% consensus.
    There is limited feedback, but there has been positive feedback.
    But you did come in with one point: that advice reflects how they would want to be treated in certain circumstances. If more people treated others how they wanted to be treated themselves..it would be much better all around

No..for the sake of the odd moralising post its better to keep it flowing. I think anyways

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There seems to be a lot of people who chime in to the Personal Issues forum with comments that are no more insightful and helpful than "you're a very bad person, shame on you".
    True, but maybe they're right although limited in vocabulary. Sometimes that knid of comment is read by people more than the long winded frippery that I and others dream up.

In topics that require it maybe in future I will be more succinct. "You may have been a very bad person, shame on you if you were. Shame on you if you don't see it. Now learn from this, think about others as well as yourself and cop on".

That about covers that ground.
    It causes some small arguments and maybe, maybe, the admins would think about stamping down on it?
    Meh, if it's not insulting, why worry? Who is going to take advice from a one line poster anyway. If they get upset, report and sit down and reflect why it upset them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

seamus wrote:

The new must-have signature. Sign up now, let the world know Seamus's personal issues

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Wibbs wrote:

Meh, if it's not insulting, why worry? Who is going to take advice from a one line poster anyway. If they get upset, report and sit down and reflect why it upset them.

indeed.
    people are free to consider the advice they have been given as useless and pointless. no need for a moderator to try and do the same.

Advertisement