Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths "blunders" and "slips"

Options
  • 31-05-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Quick question, you would think I would know this by now:o
    If you make a slip or blunder mistake in part of a question and the next question requires the answer in the previous question i.e the last answer, can marks be docked for every stage of the next answer if a "blunder" occurred in the last question?.

Can marks be heavily deducted as you move through the
    question with a wrong answer but with perfect methods?
    Say for example you make a small mistake on the circle question and you carry your answer to the next part for example.
    If someone could clear this up I would be greatfull;/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

you could have just checked the marking scheme...

No blunder or slip can be penalised more than once. i.e., if you've already been docked marks for it, they can't dock any more. So, theoretically, you could still get full marks for the second part of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I see....but surely if you screwed up something in the line or circle they would deduct marks if diagrams had to drawn, because its weird how they like to ask "visualisation" parts now:D
    I see the info is indeed in the marking scheme:o, its just the marking scheme used in the mocks didn't conform to the LC one which isn't uncommon I presume:/
    Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

what about if by messing up you get a quadratic that solves without the use of the formula, when the formula is being tested... in that case if you didnt know the quadratic formula, surely by sacrificing a blunder you could pick up the 10 (for example) marks you get for knowing the formula?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

If the blunder oversimplifies something you lose further marks AFAIK.

Well I reckon thats fair because simplifying a question alters it radically which doesent show your ability if you have to resort to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

The only thing that you need to be aware of is the following:

Say a question is in two parts, A and B. In part A, you are asked to work something out, and in part B it says to use the result from Part A to do something else.

If you fail to get the correct answer in A and use the incorrect answer to do B, I was always under the assumption that you got full marks for B if what you did was done correctly.

Not true.

You will get nothing for B!

And I got this from a chief advising examiner in Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Not even if they use the right formulae and stuff. Not even an attempt mark!

Delphi91 wrote:
    The only thing that you need to be aware of is the following:

Say a question is in two parts, A and B. In part A, you are asked to work something out, and in part B it says to use the result from Part A to do something else.

If you fail to get the correct answer in A and use the incorrect answer to do B, I was always under the assumption that you got full marks for B if what you did was done correctly.

Not true.

You will get nothing for B!

And I got this from a chief advising examiner in Maths.
    I disagree, look at the marking schemes for maths. It says "blunders" or "slips" are worth -1 or -3. Using the incorrect answer from A would be considered a blunder/slip....

Chief advising examiner in Maths doesn't know their own marking scheme? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

umm, is there even that many, if any, examples in past papers of questions where the answer from a previous part was required to answer a part and the correct answer wasn't provided for reference? I can't remember any...

I remember it happened to me in the mocks for something...

It wasn't a "part (ii)" though, it was like within a part (b) or (c) you got 5 marks for one step, 5 for the next etc. but you might have made a miscalculation early on. However, you don't lose marks in any step besides the one you made the mistake in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

No...

If you get the answer to part 1 wrong but your formula was correct you will get most marks.
    If part ii requires the answer from part 1 and you have the correct formula - you still get decent marks.

All from the words of my Physics and maths teachers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

You can disagree if you like, but I'm telling the truth. I am a maths teacher and this was said to myself and a number of other teachers at a recent inservice course we were at, run by a chief advising examiner in Hons Maths.

We were all quite stunned at what he said and asked him to clarify if what we thought he was telling us was true. He said that Yes, it was true.

We argued with him for 20-25 mins about how unfair it was, but he said that it was the approach taken.

Thats a bit Crazy.
    Does that rule apply for all levels or just higher?
    A reasonable amount of "leeway" would be nice givin the time restraints.
    Honestly, are those people in the SEC living in a dreamworld:confused:
    Bastards!!!:mad:

Advertisement