Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips by subject

Options
  • 31-05-2007 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I know its very late for this but every little bit helps : post any tips/hints/ advise you have on every subject on the 2007 examination:

ie:

English: plath and kavanagh
    kingship in macbeth
    gvv a cert
    diary entries

irish(ol): ???????

maths(ol): long division
    first principles
    indices

geography: isostasy
    biomes question on human interaction

economics: perfect competition and monopoly
    interest rates

business: marketing

Anybody else got any ideas i will add more later ??????:confused:

post all your tips for subjects we can all help each other cheers;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

English: Plath, Kavanagh, Bishop
    Cultural Context
    Kingship, Macbeth/Lady Macbeth

Irish: Sleacht ar na mboithre
    Politics
    Environment
    Clare sa speir- techniques of film
    Uirchill
    Lig Sinn i gcathu

French: Politics, environment, technology, alcohol
    Formal letter

Maths: Don't care, not counting it for points, and i hate the subject!

Geog: Rivers, isotasy
    Karst region and formation of landforms
    MNC's- factors for location

History: Eastern Question
    Lockout
    Something on Hitler has to come up!
    CNG/FF

Biology: Probably everything on the freaking course unfortunately! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

any tips On Music ?????"?

What about pride and prejudice as a single text ??? Essay Titles??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

any tips On Music ?????"?

be really really careful if your doing the melody composition question at HL. Last year they threw in a minor key nd a good few missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

anybody else got any ideas. economics is meant to be predictable i just dont see it. im really getting scared now im so screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

oh yeah have them prepared , Thanks for the headsup - Ne idea on music essays and question 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

EI-DAV wrote:
    be really really careful if your doing the melody composition question at HL. Last year they threw in a minor key nd a good few missed it.

Im hearing it from a reliable source that a minor key is due to pop up in the harmony question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Montague is tipped for English (HL)along with Yeats n Plath.

For anyone doing chemistry,its tipped that there's gonna be thermo experiment on it n also ethanoic acid n ethanal also equilibrium experiments!

Irish essays i def think are gonna be road deaths,politics and obesity n the health system also possibly something bout blogs and bebo.

Biology as u said is prob gonna be everyhting on the god forsaken course but the experiments tipped are the quantative survey, osmosis (yipee!) n also the 2 germination experiments. hav also heard the female reproductive cycle n stuff is tipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Last chance saloon. Home of the desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Steve01 wrote:
    Im hearing it from a reliable source that a minor key is due to pop up in the harmony question

*shudder* :(

I heard that's very, very rare...

Seems the main listening question will be Tchaikovsky...

Any tips for the traditional Irish essay?

and unlikely, but any tips for Classical Studies anyone?

Sauron wrote:
    *shudder* :(

I heard that's very, very rare...

Whats the problem? There's nothing particularly difficult about a minor key in
    the harmony question. Just remember to use iib instead of ii, note your accidental and which chords are minor (you can figure it out by looking at the roman numerals anyway).

For the Irish essay question I reckon something on the harping tradition/ harpists and famous musicians/composers shall appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doria gray

Has anybody heard any predictions about whats coming up in home ec? It makes sense perhaps that lipids would come up taking into account that carbs and protein have come up before and its a new(ish) course. Im becoming a bit hysterical with home ec now :( thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chriswally09

geography: isostasy

Whats This???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

History..

Dictatorship book-
    Id learn everything on Germany really really well.
    Especially propaganda.

Irish history
    The treaty,
    free state economic policies.

1871-1920 book,
    Bismarck
    Women in the work force
    The motor car.

Economics -
    Perfect compition
    Privatisation.

Art History -
    Bronze age.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

YA harpists are due to come up in music

In Irish Dan Do Mhellisa is tipped highly to come up with Uircheall An Chreagain.

Biology- Auxins, Female reproductive system, Photo and Resp, Senses and Immunity

History- Sinn Fein and the 1918 elections* GAA, Anglo Irish Relations and CNG and SF government policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

History- Sinn Fein and the 1918 elections* GAA, Anglo Irish Relations and CNG and SF government policies.

Whats your view on learning the 1885/86 elections?

Since the course changed for next year do you think they could be such dickheads to ask us that?

They're meant to be making the course much nicer so more people will talk it up. There was 6 A1's in my schools history class of 13 or so last year. But apprently all the brains of 6th year that year kept on history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What about Accounting?

My guesses are
    Q1 Final a/c's of a company
    Q2-4 Control, Reval and Suspense
    Q5 Ratios....again
    Q6 Incompletes
    Q7 Service
    Q8 Stock and Product Costing
    Q9 Cash Budget

Agri_trust wrote:
    Whats your view on learning the 1885/86 elections?

Since the course changed for next year do you think they could be such dickheads to ask us that?

Lets all hope not. I'm avoiding that whole section of History like the plague. Though if the Department is trying to be student friendly maybe they'll go out on a limb and put Anglo-Irish popular culture on the paper. Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

darcy07 wrote:
    maths(ol): long division
    I had to lol.

And in fact, I had to lol at this whole thread.

So far, for Irish and English, you've all predicted:

English:
    Plath, Kavanagh, Bishop, Montague, Yeats(5 poets! That's helpful!)
    Kingship, Macbeth/Lady Macbeth
    Gerneral Vision and Viewpoint, Cultural Context(Why not predict Themes and Issues for the laugh? Sure you have to learn two in the first place...)
    Diary Entries

Irish:
    Slad(lol, sleacht) ar na mboithre, Politics, Environment, Obesity and the Health System, Blogs and Bebo.(Really narrowing it down there)
    Clare sa speir- techniques of film
    Uirchill
    Lig Sinn i gcathu
    Dan Do Mhellisa

Honestly, are you people pulling these out of your asses or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I had to lol.

I think he meant solving cubic equations and finding roots etc when he mentioned that.
    Still I thought "WTF" when I first read that:D
    I think the above will come up as a B part in question 2 or 3 alongside max and min in Q6 or Q8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

oh yeah have them prepared , Thanks for the headsup - Ne idea on music essays and question 1

tchaikovsky for question 1, that's my feeling anyway! for the essays, one of sean nós, irish dances, ornamentation, influence of irish music on north american music, céilí bands, and some musician/composer (ó riada, ó súilleabháin, turlough o'carolan) usually comes up every year. learn the harp and the uilleann pipes as well to be safe.
    I'd say be ready for an upbeat in the melody question 1, and maybe 6/8. I don't know if they'll do the minor again. I'd expect a minor key in question 5 though.

• Advertisement

Naikon wrote:
    I think he meant solving cubic equations and finding roots etc when he mentioned that.
    Still I thought "WTF" when I first read that:D
    Well yeah, I thought of that after the initial "wtf", but still, it's maths. I mean, that's a skill you apply to a question, not a question in itself....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Jimmeh, need I say, "Pass Maths lol"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

:confused:

Aard wrote:
    Jimmeh, need I say, "Pass Maths lol"?
    Sure, for the lulz.

Advertisement