Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 near Carrigtwohill. More delays from June 5th

• 31-05-2007 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Be aware that due to the installation of traffic lights opposite the Amgen site on the Midleton side of Carrigtwohill both the eastbound and westbound lanes of the dual carriageway will be reduced to a single lane in each direction from next Tuesday. Not sure for how long though. Probably a week or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

oh fun... are they putting the lights on the dual carriageway itself? That'd cause interesting traffic problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Yes, the lights will be on the dual carriageway. However, given that the activity on the Amgen site has been considerably downgraded I don't expect any significant delays once they are commissioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

very strange for them to be installing lights there, doesn't seem much of a point because when it is officially announced that Amgen are no longer moving in there it will all seem like one big waste of time (and tax payers money!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

very strange for them to be installing lights there, doesn't seem much of a point because when it is officially announced that Amgen are no longer moving in there it will all seem like one big waste of time (and tax payers money!).

do you know something we all don't know... better tell the lads in Jacobs who have started back on design of a scaled down plant.

well it must be a very scaled down plant to be honest! Why would Amgen scale down the plant?? Surely if it was not possible to construct the plant they want they could just up and leave to a place where they can.

• Advertisement

well it must be a very scaled down plant to be honest! Why would Amgen scale down the plant?? Surely if it was not possible to construct the plant they want they could just up and leave to a place where they can.

erm... the reason that the plant is scaled down is because the drug failed its FDA trials, nothing about not been able to build the plant they want.
    where do you get your information??? :rolleyes:

erm... the reason that the plant is scaled down is because the drug failed its FDA trials, nothing about not been able to build the plant they want.
    where do you get your information??? :rolleyes:

..and nothing to do with over ambitious quotes for construction?? Maybe my sources are incorrect, we will just have to wait and see.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

afaik, the reason was to do with a drug failing and also some head guy in the US was sacked over some dodgy dealings internally.
    the factorty is still supposed to be going ahead, but delayed for a few years.

..and nothing to do with over ambitious quotes for construction?? Maybe my sources are incorrect, we will just have to wait and see.;)

over ambitious quotes....na
    more like over ambitious URS for the plant... and a hugely aggrieves schedule...
    combination of things....but mainly the drug failing

sure they are still going ahead, so the "over ambitious quotes" they were happy with, its what they were quoted for was the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Does anybody know when the lights will be switched on full time. I can see a lot of accidents in the first few weeks when they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and there's the announcement
    A plan to provide 1,100 jobs in Co Cork has been indefinitely postponed.

Biotechnology company Amgen was to have provided the jobs in a billion dollar investment at a manufacturing facility in Carrigtwohill, Co Cork.
    However, the company has decided to put off the project indefinitely.
    IDA Ireland has described the decision as disappointing.
    It said decisions by the US Medicare authorities, concerning some of Amgen's main drugs, have caused business difficulties for the company.
    Amgen is reducing its staff globally by up to 14%, closing two plants in the US, and reducing its planned capital expenditure.
    IDA Ireland said the decision to halt the project did not reflect in any way on the business environment in Ireland, and that further investments could be expected over the coming months.
    IDA Ireland said Amgen will retain the Cork site, so that changed circumstances may lead to a recommencement of plans.

I wonder will they get rid of the speed restrictions and the lights now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The irony here is that all these roadworks were paid for by Cork County Council!

I remember hearing years ago that the quarry offered to pay, or at least subsidise a proper interchange at this location, but their overtures were rejected by the powers that be...

It's a very dangerous part of the road, even without the lights. I had a guy swerve in front of my HGV last year, on a wet mucky road, and despite my not having a lot of room to maneouvre (trucks entering and leaving the quarry, and a slow moving vehicle in the other lane) he was extremely lucky to escape with what was light panel damage to his three week old repmobile's back door and bumper!

Advertisement