Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research on music performance for OT treatment

Options
  • 31-05-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi, hope alls well,
    I'm currently studying occupational therapy, and I am starting to think of areas where I would like to direct my research for my masters. Which is still a couple of years away, but you know... time flies then its here..
    So, what I am leaning towards basically is how a person is effected when they performing music.
    I'm interested in this due to my love for music, I'm somewhat a musician and a composer, and most importantly (as of now) I would like to see myself teaching special needs clients how to play.
    If teaching would be my end goal as an occupational therapist, I need to have research that would further back up the impact that playing has on a person -how it can increase their motor function/reactions/cognitive abilities/how it effects their sensory and overall increase their motivation and self-worth. (Yes, I think music can do all of these things)
    I also believe that everyone has the right to learn an instrument if they choose to.
    So there is my rational for working towards this goal

My question now is.... where do I begin? Does anyone know of previous research on this topic, or even therapists that are doing this? occupational therapists? It will help give me ease of mind to read articles so I know I am not too far from the target.

thank you!
    ~Beth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Sounds like a worthy and worthwhile vocation.

Dunno whether this is the kind of thing you're looking for;
    http://www.musictherapy.org/faqs.html

As a musician myself I can certainly see the value in it, emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it helped -I didn't realize how similar my goals were to those of a music therapist
    which at first concerned me b/c maybe that would mean that I was stepping on their toes.. and so, I was led to this article...

http://occupational-therapy.advanceweb.com/common/EditorialSearch/AViewer.aspx?AN=OT_06jun12_otp8.html&AD=06-12-2006
    My understanding so far is that at least theres a link between OTs using music for intervention with guidance from a music therapist. The point is, the research is relevant to OT -thanks for helpin me draw that conclusion : )

I'm open to anyone's thoughts to keep me thinking
    thank you : )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i v just finished final year in OT. i did my thesis on multidisciplinary teams. the best advice i can give you on writting them is to start research early and be organised. google scholar /advanced searcg is pretty good for finding specfic articles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Hey Snorlax, Congrats to you! : ) You must be very excited to finally be out there. What population are you working with?

and Thanks for the advice : ) Its always good for me to be told that one can't start too soon and to be organized... 2 main areas of life I could always improve. oh, and Google is my hero. I'm looking forward to the day when I can have google search in my head.
    take care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

have no idea. there's a bit of a shortage of jobs for basic grades at the moment because the goverments frozen a lot of unfilled positions and now you have to apply to a panel for all HSE jobs (not NGO jobs).

well i still have to get my exam results on the 20th so don't know anyhting for definite. i d love to work as a community OT though, or in assistive technology. it will be nice to be finally paid for doing work :)..

• Advertisement
Advertisement