Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US military in Shannon a problem for FF

Options
  • 31-05-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

2 of the independents that FF are courting at the moment signed a pledge that they would not support any Government that allowed the US military to continue using Shannon Airport
    namely Finian McGrath and Tony Gregory presuming they are as good as their word on the issue does this now scupper the PD independent option for FF as it seems highly unlikely that Bertie would be prepared to tell W that he can not land at shannon anymore.

Interestingly the none of the greens that were elected signed the pledge but it is party policy

3 labour TDs did sign the pledge

http://irishantiwar.org/index.adp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Voipjunkie wrote:
    2 of the independents that FF are courting at the moment signed a pledge that they would not support any Government that allowed the US military to continue using Shannon Airport
    namely Finian McGrath and Tony Gregory presuming they are as good as their word on the issue does this now scupper the PD independent option for FF as it seems highly unlikely that Bertie would be prepared to tell W that he can not land at shannon anymore.

Interestingly the none of the greens that were elected signed the pledge but it is party policy

3 labour TDs did sign the pledge

http://irishantiwar.org/index.adp

Pledges and policies are the first things to be sacrificed by most politicians when power is within grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

I'd say he'll fudge the issue slightly giving them something of what they want on that score-inspections maybe.

It's not as big of a problem to be stern on Shannon these days now that there is a democrat anti war majority in congress.
    Also with a bit of luck Hillary will be president at the end of next year and shur she loves Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmm, the point hasn't been brought up in any media outlets....... I might email newstalk, maybe they'll put it to whomever they're interviewing tomorrow.

The independents all seem to be saying the same thing: that they'll negotiate with any potential government, and they'll lend their support to whoever will see their demands through.

Maybe Tony's forgotten that he signed it :confused: I suppose he wasn't expecting to be in this position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

If you listen to the news at one online on RTE,David McCullagh spoke about it iirc.

Incidently what is the FG position on Shannon? If it's a problem for FF,I'd say Kenny would be slow to turf them out aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

DaveMcG wrote:
    hmmm, the point hasn't been brought up in any media outlets....... I might email newstalk, maybe they'll put it to whomever they're interviewing tomorrow.

It was raised on the RTÉ News at One on t'radio.

People were voxpop'ed in Dublin Central today (Tony Gregory and Bertie land), and while its a noble trait, they are more interested in making sure their own area is looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

There is not just the issue of pissing off george W the locals in Shnnon area would not be best pleased remembering that Shannon has to stand on its own 2 feet these days removing US military planes would piss off the local FF support

If the 2 independents turned down FF on the issue of Shannon it would be very hard for the Greens even though they did not sign the pledge but it is party policy to stop the use of Shannon

As to whether Finian or Tony meant it McGrath seems to me to be someone of principle for example going out to colombia on the Human rights issue there are not many votes in that but he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do. And it seems to me that Finian and Tony come as a pair you get two or you get none.

Could this be the issue that opens the Door for FF Labour or might it put new impetus into Endas push presuming he will stop the shannon flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Com'on the Alternative...

83 seats without Jackie Healy-Rae

those 2 Indo's are pullable, the other 2 could be bribed.

And the PD's could be given 1 Ministership!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

FF has just started talks with the greens

Matt Cooper has just announced

The PDs turning down FG earlier I presume has meant that option is no longer viable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rickybutcher

I think they'll bottle it. The chances of either possible government telling the Americans that Shannon is closed until further notice is slim. I'd be shocked if in fact it did happen.

It shows what the likes of the Labour Party and Greens are about too. No Green TDs and 3 x Labour TDs have signed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its not an issue for 99.999999% of Irish people. The independants/greens might raise it but theyll drop it when FF says no - not worth the hassle with the FF vote around Shannon, not worth the hassle with the US. The formation of the next government isnt going to hinge on some fringe issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement