Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Bertie have to do to lose power ?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

What has really amazed me, is that the entire country believes Bertie is dodgy, yet not only has he regained power, his party's entire election manifesto appears to have been "We're part of Bertie's team". So not only has Bertie's popularity got him elected, it seems to have worked for 77 other members of his party. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sovtek wrote:
    The first person (of the Irish persuasion that is) that asks me how us stupid Americans re-elected Dubya is going to get an ear-full.

Honestly though, what was that all about?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What has really amazed me, is that the entire country believes Bertie is dodgy, yet not only has he regained power, his party's entire election manifesto appears to have been "We're part of Bertie's team". So not only has Bertie's popularity got him elected, it seems to have worked for 77 other members of his party. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's amazed me too - most of the election posters seemed to be pictures of Bertie saying "Bertie's Team", instead of promoting the people involved.

If Bertie does get done for his dodgy deals, then there's gonna be a whole heap of "guilt by association", solely by virtue of the approach that FF took!

And yeah, innocent until proven guilty, but he hasn't answered a single question about this stuff to my satisfaction, and remember that he also made a major speech at Haughey's funeral saying what a great guy THAT con-artist was! :mad:

As for the "how did the dumb Americans vote Bush in again ?" reference - that's exactly what I thought.....people in glasshouses and all that.

Footnote: from my own perspective, I can keep asking the above; I'm just now asking it about the "majority" of Irish people as well.....true, the PR system carried FF over the line (e.g. Peter Power in Limerick on Willie O'Dea's transfers) and there's no such system in the U.S., but the fact that enough people vote in a stupid way still raises questions about the sanity of the Irish population.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Yep, for all our whining and moaning about americans voting Bush in what do we do - vote another affable simple chap to run the country. Perhaps there's sense of well-being in knowing that the guy running things is less intelligent than you.

You really think he's not intelligent? CJH described him as "the most ruthless, the most cunning of them all" an I agree with his analysis. I had a boss just like him once, a "really nice guy" until push came to shove and he fired people left right and centre who had worked 70+ hour weeks for years to make him rich, made them work for their redundancy, and in one case didn't pay a guy for 5 months. Bush IS an idiot - but Bertie is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

professore wrote:
    You really think he's not intelligent? CJH described him as "the most ruthless, the most cunning of them all" an I agree with his analysis. I had a boss just like him once, a "really nice guy" until push came to shove and he fired people left right and centre who had worked 70+ hour weeks for years to make him rich, made them work for their redundancy, and in one case didn't pay a guy for 5 months. Bush IS an idiot - but Bertie is not.

Albert Reynolds would concur...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

professore wrote:
    Maybe so, but this side to Bertie isn't what the public sees and most definitely not what the FF diehards voted in. So my original question still stands - why, despite his (apparent) shortcomings does he remain so popular? Of course your synopsis would indicate that the fool here is not Bertie but the guys working for him..........that'd be us then:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

The inevitable economic turndown will finish him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Turning up for the first sitting in an SS Uniform should do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Maybe so, but this side to Bertie isn't what the public sees and most definitely not what the FF diehards voted in. So my original question still stands - why, despite his (apparent) shortcomings does he remain so popular? Of course your synopsis would indicate that the fool here is not Bertie but the guys working for him..........that'd be us then:eek:

A vestige of our colonized past perhaps. Garret Fitzgerald alluded to it in 1982.

Advertisement